Euro 2012

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Sub-Human, Jun 8, 2012.

Who will win Euro 2012?

1. Croatia

100.0%
  2. Czech Republic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Denmark

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. England

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. France

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Germany

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Greece

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Italy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Netherlands

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Poland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Portugal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Republic of Ireland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Russia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Spain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Sweden

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Ukraine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    ¡Viva España!

2. x'il

x'il Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Mar 3, 2009
    "Boring anti-football" 4 - Italy 0

lol

3. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Yeah, coz the way Spain played in the finals was totally the same way they played the WC and coasted most of this EC, right?

This was like the 2008 performance again. Dominant. Awesome. A lot of fun to watch. One game does not undo that period of awful football though, or that they are the lowest-scoring World Cup winner of all time, it just shows they can do better. So why don't they? Anyone's guess. But to deny they played boring anti-football for years is just delusional.

Not a great tournament for Spain, but at least a great final game. It'll make most people forget about the rest, I guess. Dumb people. But what else is new, in football writing/fandom.

4. Lethe

Lethe First time out of the vault

Dec 21, 2005
    fucking stark. we came closest to beating spain, sometimes you gotta have luck and referees on your side to make it. they obviously have both

5. Jebus

Jebus Background Radiant
    Orderite

Jan 29, 2004
    So my predictions were right... Again. Up and including the fact that the Netherlands didn't get a single point. I won €146 in the sweepstakes: a damn good haul.

I should start doing this for a living.

6. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    Angry Sulik didn't help them? That's sad.

[spoiler:bc9c3138c9] [/spoiler:bc9c3138c9]

7. Jebus

Jebus Background Radiant
    Orderite

Jan 29, 2004
  8. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    I wouldn't call Spain's playing 'anti-football', though. That term is already used for extremely defensive and rough play.

9. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    Na, that's called ice hockey.

Also, Spain put on a very good show. I kinda sorta routed for Italy because, fuck Spain, but whatever. At least France fell to the ultimate winners. Less shame in that.

10. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    :( no more Euro 2012. So... can Spain be stopped in 2014? I really want to see them face Brazil in Brazil. And I want a rematch with Italy.

11. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    You never know. Probably will be stopped in FIFA, yeah. I just hope Russia gets a little more glory this time around.

But, I mean, three worldwide competitions in a row? That's some magic, pals.

12. Brother None

Apr 3, 2003
    Yeah. Best national side since Brazil 1968-1972, at least, arguably best ever. Pretty awesome too watch, if only they played like they did in the Finals all the time.

So? Why not expand it. They won the WC with the lowest # of goals scored and goals against of all time. Pretty typical of a team that does not play with any real intent to score more than the bare minimum needed, like the Italian cattenacio, just a differenty style.

13. BarryMcDingleFace

BarryMcDingleFace First time out of the vault

Jun 21, 2012
    I was horribly upset about the terrible loss for my beloved homeland. But Spain played exceptionally well. We'll heres to next year!!!!!!!

14. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    Well, there already is a term for Spain's playing, so why use a term already associated with a different style of playing to it?

15. Sicblades

Sicblades Antediluvian as Feck
    Orderite

Aug 28, 2008
    I've seen 3-4 articles now on how Spain is definitely NOT better than Brazil 68-72. I guess if they do well in the World Cup in 2 years they just might have a chance at taking that title away from the Brazilians.

16. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Why does everyone here (except the Italians), hate Italian football? They fake it no more than any other team, they don't look any greasier or dishonest as any other team in Europe. :P

17. BarryMcDingleFace

BarryMcDingleFace First time out of the vault

Jun 21, 2012
    Pixote your post made my day. I was asking myself the same question. Mind you, Buffon is a force to be reckoned with but cant ever live up to Dino Zoff we had him for 30 years he stopped playing after he got cataracts and still whipped ass when he was the goalkeeper. :hatersgonnahate:

18. Brother None

Apr 3, 2003
    Because I'm not critical of tiki-taka, derivative though it is from older Dutch football concepts rather than revolutionary as was claimed, but I am critical of how Spain executed it 2008 unto the finals. It's just a term, man, which effectively expresses how I feel the style impacts football, namely in a negative way.

Odd. Brazil doesn't have a European Cup to compete in, and the World Cup is barely bigger than the current EC. Basically, the WC is the EC + Brazil and Argentine. Sure, some country surprised every year, but that's the core of it, and EC wins aren't that less meaningful than WC wins, factually. IIRC, Brazil won the other cups in the period 68-72, they only won the two world cups.

I doubt do well would be enough for these critics. They'd probably have to win it. Now that'd be something.

Wut? This Italian team played frivolous football, barely whined (compared to Portugal or Spain, but still too much compared to Germany) and was a joy to watch. I think most people liked this team. But that doesn't undo years of anti-football.

19. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Please help me grammar Nazi, my mind is mush. :P

20. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    Yup. Even Slovakia have declassed Italy back in 2010, during the World Cup. We send them home and that's something impossible, because our football sucks very hard. If someone is interested, this is our biggest and most prestigious stadium Tehelne Pole, Bratislava. Just look at it! :lol:

[spoiler:ddeb8810ed]

[/spoiler:ddeb8810ed]