F4llout

nukepunk

First time out of the vault
Don't take this seriously or anything, but in my spare time I've been coming up with a Fallout 4 concept that wouldn't suck, and I could use some help and input.

My idea was to resurrect the plot of Van Buren, with a few major tweaks. The first thing I'm sorely lacking is a setting; a time and place ripe for a mad scientist uprising.

Oh, is that what f4t m4n and l33tl b0y thing was all about?

So, new title! That's something...

Okay, here's what I have so far off the top of my head:

Huxley Aldus VanBuren Was born in 2051 to poor German immigrants and orphaned at an early age. Huxley never had much of a chance at academic enrichment, but fully used what was available, to the point where he virtually lived in the public library. He was particularly interested in science, but it well versed in virtually all topics.

In 2069, as soon as he was of age, VanBuren was drafted into the Resource Wars. Showing incredible aptitude in testing, he was made a radar engineer, soon working up to computer scientist, and eventually a major player in military research and development. In 2076, with the end of the annexation of Canada, Huxley was released from duty and fought over by Vault-Tek, RobCo and Pantheon H.C. He went with the latter, leaving him less than a year of unaccountably brilliant science and invention before the world ended. He was cryogenically frozen at The Pantheon mere hours before the Great War.

In 2077 John Caleb-Bradberton got an official government message that the country was about to get nuked. He took his family and several others nearby into an underground fallout shelter beneath his home designed to simulate a pre-war neighborhood.

VanBuren was reanimated in late 2098, awakening to an unrecognizable world in the painful process or rebuilding. All the other scientists, who were all older and above him and had held him back, were long dead. So he began some rebuilding of his own…

By 2300 the Caleb-Bradberton experiment had run its course; all the possibilities for reproduction without inbreeding were exhausted. So the youngest generation stages a bloody coup, appointing a new leader and sending out the Player Character to make a place in the new world so they can ride his/her coattails. Upon exiting the Caleb-Bradberton vault, and seeing a destroyed version of his/her home and a quick glimpse of the outside, the Player is run over by VanBuren in his newly-invented energy ammunition-powered vehicle.

VanBuren takes Player to The Pantheon and nurses him/her back to full health. After regaining consciousness and going through the standard aptitude tests Player, lacking something better to do, starts working for VanBuren.

Eventually the NCR finds and detains Player, who they consider a terrorist, but he/she tells them everything he knows about VanBuren, and they tell him/her what Huxley really is; a mad scientist bent on world destruction and/ or domination. The player is then released into the world to do as he/she will.

Whadoya think?

References to things such as famous dystopian authors and obscure American presidents and having them recur throughout the entire game often turns people off. Think about the Revelation 21:6 thing in Fallout 3. It would never go away and it was annoying and it was as if the developers were saying 'look how clever we are!'

What's wrong with the name Fallout 4?

Also, the suspended animation thing is overplayed. Shouldn't the old world be decaying and gone by 2300?

These are all working titles, names, and events. I would appreciate alternative ideas instead of simple bashing. The idea was to come up with something unique and original, while at the same time recapturing the essence of Fallout.

So, what if he isn't frozen? What if it's a post-war genius who runs across The Pantheon?

Oh, and I didn't go with "Fallout 4" because everyone else did. I've been writing "F4llout" and pronouncing it "Fourout". Once we have a region we can call it "Fallout ___ "

I looked at the world maps of Fallout and F2 (largely ignoring the others, except for parts of NV) and decided to keep moving north; Oregon or possibly even Washington. How does Portland or Seattle sound?

nukepunk said:
I looked at the world maps of Fallout and F2 (largely ignoring the others, except for parts of NV) and decided to keep moving north; Oregon or possibly even Washington. How does Portland or Seattle sound?

Fort Lewis! Then we can see what Endor turned into

Don't take it personal but please don't try to resurrect Van Buren's plot anymore.
It would only have worked if it had been released as was intended and now that Fallout New Vegas has sort of taken its place I think its time to let it rest.

Doesn't mean some of the ideas in it could not be brought back again if used properly of course.

My own ambition for a sequel to Fallout New Vegas is still Fallout Texas.
I have come up with a plot that continues on FNV but also also brings in new material.

Now that I think about it, the only thing I'm really taking from Van Buren is the mad scientist. That we have been without one as long as we have is a fallacy that must be corrected.

And I love the Fort Lewis idea.

Good to see you, Dutch Ghost

nukepunk said:
Now that I think about it, the only thing I'm really taking from Van Buren is the mad scientist. That we have been without one as long as we have is a fallacy that must be corrected.

And I love the Fort Lewis idea.

Good to see you, Dutch Ghost

Fort Lewis can be included if and only if there is a 'warmth gague' and you have to change clothes to adjust to it being 40* in the morning and 90* at lunch. And a rebreather is required to even get on post.

nukepunk said:

Yes, because there are not enough retarded sterotypes in the game already.

You know, Fallout is built on retarded stereotypes. The Fallout world is the most generic post-appocoliptic world there is (or it was, until RAGE!!!1!). What makes it special is the explanation of how it became what it is. I think a major theme is (or really should be) having a world that lives up to every tired cliche, making it make sense, and leaving you engrossed anyway.

nukepunk said:
You know, Fallout is built on retarded stereotypes. The Fallout world is the most generic post-appocoliptic world there is (or it was, until RAGE!!!1!). What makes it special is the explanation of how it became what it is. I think a major theme is (or really should be) having a world that lives up to every tired cliche, making it make sense, and leaving you engrossed anyway.

Yeah because there are a ton of 1950's style Post-Apocalyptic games around like....

Yes they use a lot of stereotypes, but the world is far from generic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the explanation for how the world became what it is, is more generic than the rest of the game. Basically World War 3 happened and people ran to the Vaults if they could.

Edit: Fallout 3 did make the series a lot more generic I might add. I think they used the template for "How to make a PA game" and copy and pasted everything over.

nukepunk said:
These are all working titles, names, and events. I would appreciate alternative ideas instead of simple bashing. The idea was to come up with something unique and original, while at the same time recapturing the essence of Fallout.

So, what if he isn't frozen? What if it's a post-war genius who runs across The Pantheon?

Oh, and I didn't go with "Fallout 4" because everyone else did. I've been writing "F4llout" and pronouncing it "Fourout". Once we have a region we can call it "Fallout ___ "

You asked specifically, "Whadoya think?"

And Krinkels simply gave you feedback from his point of view that was constructive and he cited references in the form of a similar tact taking in Fallout 3 that was not successful. I don't think at all that he was bashing, just because you don't like his criticism it doesn't automatically make it a bashing attack and he is certainly under no obligation to give you alternative ideas even though he did by suggesting that the "old world be decaying and gone by 2300?". Thus giving you an alternate track to follow.

When you post an idea and ask what people think, you have to be able to listen to feedback and criticism without taking it personally.

Cheers.

Okay, try this on for size

F4llout plot synopsis

In 2077 John Caleb-Bradberton, inventor of Nuka-Cola, got an official government message that the world was about to end. He took his and several other nearby families into an underground fallout shelter beneath his home designed to simulate a pre-war neighborhood.

Huxley Aldus Van Buren Was born in Capital City, NCR in 2261 and orphaned at an early age. Huxley never had much of a chance at academic enrichment, but fully utilized what was available, to the point where he virtually lived in the public library. He was particularly interested in science, but is well versed in virtually all topics.

In 2279, as soon as he was of age, Van Buren was drafted into the Legion War. Showing incredible aptitude in testing he was made a member of the military branch of the OSI, soon working up to full-fledged scientist and eventually a major player in military research and development. In 2281, with the end of the Legion, Huxley was released from duty and went freelance, combing the post-apocalyptic world for new discoveries, gathering quite a following in the process. Eventually Van Buren discovered The Boulder Dome and, fed up with his superiors always holding him back, began truly breaking ground.

By 2293 the Caleb-Bradberton experiment had run its course; all the possibilities for reproduction without inbreeding were exhausted. So the youngest generation stages a bloody coup, appointing a new leader and sending out the Player Character to make a place in the new world so they can ride his/her coattails. Upon exiting the Caleb-Bradberton Vault, and seeing a destroyed version of his/her home and a quick glimpse of the outside, Player is run over by Van Buren in his newly-invented energy ammunition-powered vehicle.

Van Buren takes Player to The Boulder Dome and nurses him/her back to full health. After regaining consciousness and going through the standard aptitude tests Player, lacking something better to do, starts working for Van Buren.

Eventually an NCR task force finds and detains Player, who they consider a terrorist, and they tell him/her what Van Buren really is; a mad scientist bent on world destruction and/or domination. The player is then released into the world to do as he/she will.

Faction Outlines:

Caesar is dead. That much is certain. The details are clouded in mystery. Within just a few short years the Legion is largely disbanded, with a few pockets still struggling to hold together. The areas of their former conquest are now on the way to recovery from Caesar’s tyrannical rule, which was already steadily easing as he concentrated on the NCR. Many factions are fighting to fill the power vacuum.

The NCR has pulled out of New Vegas to regroup. Although they still maintain a presence at key points of the Mohave, and scouting parties have been sent out into former Legion territory, they no longer maintain a large military force outside their own established lands.

.Pixote. said:
Is it just me, but I wish they never made another Fallout game ever, let it die.

I disagree. Fallout: New Vegas redeemed the series for me. I will give any future sequels a fair chance.

.Pixote. said:
Is it just me, but I wish they never made another Fallout game ever, let it die.

It is just you.

Wait a few years and this place will be filled with people who never heard of Fallout 1 or 2

Back