Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.1.2b (Unofficial Expansion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oppen said:
About your problem with WINE and the FPS, could you post the output of this command?
~$ glxinfo | grep 'renderer'

I think you might be using software rasterizer, which is damn slow.
Sorry, I somehow missed that.

I have a very good OpenGL card. Here's the output:
Code:
$ glxinfo | grep 'renderer'
OpenGL renderer string: Quadro NVS 140M/PCI/SSE2
And this is reg extract:
Code:
[Software\\Wine\\AppDefaults\\FALLOUT2.EXE\\Direct3D] 1284973361
"DirectDrawRenderer"="opengl"
"RendererTargetLockMode"="readtex"
And section of ddraw.ini
Code:
[Graphics]
;Set to 0 for 8 bit fullscreen
;Set to 4 for dx9 fullscreen
;Set to 5 for dx9 windowed
;A dx9 mode is required for any graphics related script extender functions to work (i.e. fullscreen shaders)
;Modes 1, 2 and 3 are no longer supported
Mode=4

;If using a dx9 mode, this changes the resolution
;The graphics are simply stretched to fit the new window; this does _not_ let you see more of the map
GraphicsWidth=1333
GraphicsHeight=1000

;This changes the settings of the hardware scaler in graphics modes 4 or 5
;Set to 0 to disable, 1 to use only if screen res > 640x480, 2 to use if screen res != 640x480 or 3 to use always
;To use a hardware scaler a file called 'global.fx' must be placed in data\shaders, and must contain one technique with one or more passes
GlobalShaderMode=0

;Set to something other than 0 to apply a software scaler in graphics modes 4 or 5
;This can be used instead of, or in addition to, the hardware global.fx shader
;This option is unsupported when using Mash's resolution patch
;0 - Default scaler
;1 - 2xSai
;2 - SuperEagle
;3 - Super2xSai
;4 - hq2x
;5 - AdvancedMame2x
;6 - letterbox
;7 - no scaling
ScaleFilter=1

;Set to 1 for a linear texture filter, or 0 to disable
TextureFilter=0

;Set to 1 to do the palette conversion on the gpu
;Faster, but incompatible with the Scalefilter and TextureFilter settings
;Requires v2.0 pixel shader support
GPUBlt=0

;Set to 1 to allow using 32 bit graphics for talking heads
;Requires graphics mode 4 or 5, and gpublt set to 1
Use32BitHeadGraphics=0

Things fall bellow 1fps if there is some moving element of the map, like those pistons in Tanker's 'basement', or those fumes around Melhior.

But even apart form that, the overall jerkiness gameplay almost discourages me to play.

As for greater visibility due to no scalling, setting ScaleFilter= to 7 does not work. It causes massive black box around the screen, and effectively I see the same area, just much smaller.

Grand Cherokee said:
Grand Cherokee said:
Some years ago when I liked to mess with F2Mapper and that item editor program, I altered Navarro Base to have a shower room, as well a private shower for the Commander. Heck, only shower in the base is the one in Sergeant's room.

Do you have interest in me sending it to you?
killap said:
Too many map changes since then to make use in the RP. Thanks though.

Well, I can try to rebuild it. That wasn't hard to do. Only problem would be remembering F2Mapper stuff.

I would have to rebuild it anyway. I included more stuff in it, like Sergeant's weapon being concealed in his hands, not n inventory. I didn't think a tough guy like him would let you steal his gun so easily. Four robots, one of each type. And different weapons for the Commander and Quartermaster. Such things.

Well, is there any other new program that I can do this?

Could you send me the v2.2 or only the Navarro map to work on? Or do you prefer that I use the v2.1b, since I don't think so I would have time to beta test v2.2 too.

On a side note, I haven't found the fallout 2 cd yet. Can I work on the Navarro map without the game installed?

Thanks !

Hello Killap

Glad to see you back.

So, are you interest?

I can up the old map v1.20 to mediafire. So you can see if the changes makes sense. If you liked, I can try to rebuild it in the RP v2.1b.

lockheed said:
Things fall bellow 1fps if there is some moving element of the map, like those pistons in Tanker's 'basement', or those fumes around Melhior.

But even apart form that, the overall jerkiness gameplay almost discourages me to play.

As for greater visibility due to no scalling, setting ScaleFilter= to 7 does not work. It causes massive black box around the screen, and effectively I see the same area, just much smaller.

It looks correct... did you try enabling GPUblt?
Another thing you might try (but I don't like the idea) is setting X.org to use 8 bit color depth.

Anyway, I'm having a similar problem, just tested yesterday with Fallout FIXT and it's very slow. It's not 1 FPS, but it's clearly less than 24.

Oppen said:
Another thing you might try (but I don't like the idea) is setting X.org to use 8 bit color depth.

Anyway, I'm having a similar problem, just tested yesterday with Fallout FIXT and it's very slow. It's not 1 FPS, but it's clearly less than 24.

Newer builds of wine aren't so much optimized for an old games. I would suggest to install wine older then version 1.0 for example http://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/files/Source/0.9.61/ . But I don't know if there will be problems with sfall/hi-res patch. Don't install binary packages because there will be missing dependencies on old version of system libraries, so you should build them from source.

Oppen said:
Setting it to 1 makes the FPS problem go away, with the exception of really smoke-heavy places, like Melhior's green goo area (if this also happens on Windows computers, perhaps it should be reworked).

However, this setting makes things a bit pixelated.

I was wondering about this setting
Code:
;Set to 0 to disable, 1 to use only if screen res > 640x480, 2 to use if screen res != 640x480 or 3 to use always
;To use a hardware scaler a file called 'global.fx' must be placed in data\shaders, and must contain one technique with one or more passes
GlobalShaderMode=0
Particularly the last line of the description.

lockheed said:
Oppen said:
Setting it to 1 makes the FPS problem go away, with the exception of really smoke-heavy places, like Melhior's green goo area (if this also happens on Windows computers, perhaps it should be reworked).

Code:
GlobalShaderMode=0

I really need to leave psycho, I was sure you said you had global.fx :lol:

I use it that way, with shaders enabled. I didn't test Fallout 2 on WINE yet (I've got dual boot, I use WINE sometimes just for fun or because I don't want to reboot, Linux is my main OS :p).

I should test if Melchior's smoke is slow on Windows too, I didn't pay attention while trying to avoid death :lol:

Oppen said:
lockheed said:
Oppen said:

Code:
GlobalShaderMode=0

I really need to leave psycho, I was sure you said you had global.fx :lol:

I use it that way, with shaders enabled. I didn't test Fallout 2 on WINE yet (I've got dual boot, I use WINE sometimes just for fun or because I don't want to reboot, Linux is my main OS :p).

I should test if Melchior's smoke is slow on Windows too, I didn't pay attention while trying to avoid death :lol:

So, where would one get this global.fx file, and where would one put it exactly?

As for running Fallout on WINE, it is pretty sweet to have FO2 window on desktop no.2 displayed right next to instant messenger, and all the other crap on desktop no1 to which you can switch hitting one key. Gotta love linux for the versatility.

I have no idea why would you play FO on Windows rather than on Linux ;)

Here's a new bug.

The screen cannot be scrolled in EPA as per this save. This is very common around EPA, with the EPA entrance being the most common problem: The exit grids are not accessible, and even if you have a car, it takes some time to get it visible on the screen.
http://panzorjackhammer.com/SLOT18.rar

Also, it would be nice to remove screen lock during combat outside of own turn.

lockheed said:
The screen cannot be scrolled in EPA as per this save. This is very common around EPA, with the EPA entrance being the most common problem: The exit grids are not accessible, and even if you have a car, it takes some time to get it visible on the screen.
http://panzorjackhammer.com/SLOT18.rar
Well, the top EPA map needs the high rez mod to work properly as it is larger than normal and the bottom one does too (it's longer iirc).
They used to crash without the High rez mod but we got that fixed at least. Sadly, to fix them completely they would have to be remade a bit smaller, which I doubt anyone is interested in doing.

Anyway, there won't be anything wrong with your save for anyone playing with the high rez mod.
Now, if you scroll to the right and then up, you should be able to reach the elevator. Leave the level and when you come back it should work as normal.

But really, you shouldn't have disabled the high rez mod, as it is more or less needed now.
I see that you are using Wine, so maybe you didn't, but there is some compatibility issue or wrong setup or something.
You can try to ask for help in the high rez thread, maybe Mash knows something.

Darek said:
But really, you shouldn't have disabled the high rez mod, as it is more or less needed now.
I see that you are using Wine, so maybe you didn't, but there is some compatibility issue or wrong setup or something.
You can try to ask for help in the high rez thread, maybe Mash knows something.
I would gladly use hi rez mod, but found no way to do so, as you could see in my previous posts in this thread.

lockheed said:
So, where would one get this global.fx file, and where would one put it exactly?

As for running Fallout on WINE, it is pretty sweet to have FO2 window on desktop no.2 displayed right next to instant messenger, and all the other crap on desktop no1 to which you can switch hitting one key. Gotta love linux for the versatility.

I have no idea why would you play FO on Windows rather than on Linux ;)
In the modding wiki you can find the global shaders file. You must put it in $fallout_dir/data/shaders.
About running Fallout on WINE, it's just lazyness, and the fact that when I installed Fallout 1 and 2 the last time, I had no broadband connection (my ISP is so shitty, it was broken three months) and I was using a 3G modem which I couldn't figure out how to run on Linux, so for that long time Windows was my main OS.
Also, I use the open source drivers for the gfx, and I'm not sure how it's going to perform. Blob's gave too much problems in their time, and I don't like the idea of having a limit to the kernel and X.org versions I can use, I like to use git snapshots of X and up to date versions of the kernel.

Hmmmm...

What distro, graphics, etc?

Generally, outside of Intel OSS drivers, you will have odd artifact rendering issues where performance goes tits up or something to that effect. Blobs are perfectly fine for Nvidia, and most ATI cards (mind you, I've little love for Ati blob stability.... They have to step their game up with catalyst before I build a rig with a serious Radeon).

I'm running FO2 in Wine, OpenSuSE 12.1 Cinammon without a hitch. No modifications required, using a GT 460, 290.10 blob. Never had any issues thus far (although in 11.4 SuSE I did have the odd crash when FO1 would load. It seems this is an engine bug as I would have it happen on the same machine in Windows).

I would strongly recommend checking transparency rules and which window manager you are using. If it is something like enlightenment, it is possible that the backend doesn't play nice with 2d transparency effects (e.g. Smoke). This is ofcourse assuming the artifacts DO use transparency (please correct me here :) I am quite sure I am wrong).

Cheers <3

CommonOddity
If this is partially addressed to me, I am running Arch 64, xfce strippedo of desktop manager (pcmanfm as desktop manager), compiz, Core 2 Due, NV Quadro, etc.

Apart form fps issues (which largely went away after switching GPUBlt to 1), I am getting an occasional windows box error - something about wrong memory allocation. Just now it happened again, when I planted two explosive charges on a gruard next to Vault Village prison and left town to wait for it to explode.

lockheed said:
Apart form fps issues (which largely went away after switching GPUBlt to 1), I am getting an occasional windows box error - something about wrong memory allocation. Just now it happened again, when I planted two explosive charges on a gruard next to Vault Village prison and left town to wait for it to explode.
That memory error is not related to graphics, it's just a generic error message from the game engine. In your case it's just the old explosives bug. It can happen when someone dies in an explosion.
To not have it crash on you, before setting the explosives, enter combat mode briefly (and exit). Maybe a bit annoying but whatever works...

Also, since you've had so much trouble getting the RP working properly with wine, maybe you could put up a little note on what settings work for you.
It just might be helpful for others. ;)

Probable Bug

I have Sulik and the Pariah dog in my party, and I was in New Reno for the first time. I entered the boxing area and started a boxing match, quickly was knocked out, and then left the building, looking for Sulik. He was still standing where I had entered the area by the entrance grid, standing in place and occasionally throwing his knife up and catching it, but I couldn't talk to him and he wouldn't move. If I click on him the cursor is the 'use' cursor (as if to loot him), I can't talk to him but I can loot what he has on him as if he was a corpse, but when I observed him it said he was at full health etc.

In combat he does nothing, and he just shows up whenever I enter a new area standing there. The dog is acting normal. It seems he is broken for some reason. I had already saved the game so I can't just reload and test it again. Another thing that happened was that my car was taken by T-ray (I think thats his name) but I haven't done anything about that yet.

Re: Probable Bug

Kochampion7 said:
I have Sulik and the Pariah dog in my party, and I was in New Reno for the first time. I entered the boxing area and started a boxing match, quickly was knocked out, and then left the building, looking for Sulik. He was still standing where I had entered the area by the entrance grid, standing in place and occasionally throwing his knife up and catching it, but I couldn't talk to him and he wouldn't move. If I click on him the cursor is the 'use' cursor (as if to loot him), I can't talk to him but I can loot what he has on him as if he was a corpse, but when I observed him it said he was at full health etc.

In combat he does nothing, and he just shows up whenever I enter a new area standing there. The dog is acting normal. It seems he is broken for some reason. I had already saved the game so I can't just reload and test it again. Another thing that happened was that my car was taken by T-ray (I think thats his name) but I haven't done anything about that yet.

I think it's this known bug:
[spoiler:e64b19f8cb]
Darek said:
killap said:
Can't recall if this happens with all followers, but I know Vic suffers from it. If a follower is knocked out in combat and you leave the map, then (again not sure if this always happens) when you enter another map the follower will be unresponsive and acts like a container when you click on him. He'll keep following you around though. I have a save game with Vic in this state
I don't think I ever got to the bottom of this, and I don't think I ever managed to make them act up like that (unresponsive container) in-game by knocking them out several times. I did however manage it (or at least something very similar) by removing their timed events que after they had been knocked out.
I'm sure I wrote something about it, let's see if I can find it.
Here it is...
NPCs that gets knocked out get the Prone status or ((critter_state(self_obj) bwand 2) == 2). They are also added to the timer events queue.
If you rest for 10 min, just let time pass for a minute or just hit next turn while in combat mode (sometimes more than once), they will come to.
That means get up and lose the prone status. This all works great.
Oh, and by prone status I mean they are treated as containers, their animation don't necessarily have to show them lying down.

If you change map before they have come to, they lose the prone status but not the standing up animation from the timer event. Basically, they are not knocked out, but they are still lying down on the ground, just that the animation is not showing it. I don't think this cause any problems (NPCs work as normal), but you may see them fall flat and then stand up again whenever it's time for them to come to.
They don't seem to play the stand up animation while in combat mode.

Marcus for some reason is different than the other NPCs. He will only be prone while in combat. As soon as you exit combat mode he will lose the prone status (but not prone animation). If you walk away far enough from him to trigger his 'follow you' code or if you leave the map, he will follow you around as normal but his animations will be a bit off (they can stop in the middle of a motion). His stand up animation to get back to normal will only happen while in combat mode, not by passing time.

If a critter gets knocked out and the timer event breaks/goes missing he will forevermore be nothing but a walking container. It can be fixed by hex editing the current map save file. The critter is defined as 18000 + his script number, so Myron is 18160 (or 46 F0 in hex). Search for that and shortly after the last instance of it is the place to edit.
EDIT: well, knocking him out again and letting him come to will fix him as well, I guess that's a better solution.

I haven't really been able to trigger any bigger issues (like NPCs refusing to take part in combat).
I'm pretty sure I got someones save earlier where Sulik wasn't responsive until after a few rounds of combat, but I can't remember shit and also I lost everything Fallout related I had in a hard-drive crash a while back.

I'll take that save from you killap ;)
Maybe I can find something more, or at least reconfirm my previous thoughts.
[/spoiler:e64b19f8cb]

@ Kochampion7

Try to enter combat mode and push next turn a few times and see if he comes back (no need for actual fighting).
If that doesn't work, could you give me your save so I can have a look at it? If it's what I suspect, I think I should be able to fix it.

I think I might have found a bug in the Tyler's gang fight.
My character got cloned. I'm not sure if damage received from the other "me" affects me, but he doesn't fight, instead he keeps drinking my beer and, thus, taking AP's from me, I'm not sure if that's from the beer or an effect of that weird bug, but I had an AP less than before. Also, from that point, resting does not heal me. Another detail, for some reason this other Narg has more HP than the original character.

I will provide you three savegames, "Kaga" is the one I started the quest from, so you should be able to reproduce it (I'm not sure at which point of the fight this other Narg appeared, I only noticed him because he was blocking the door to kill the last guard), "Bug!" is the one right after the battle in the Church, with the extra Narg (extra detail, I can not interact with him, I didn't try stealing, but I can't attack him or talk to him, as he is in fact my character), "No healing yet." is after the battle in the party, in the Church. He is still there, but he is not like a follower, and he didn't appeared in the party in the residential area.

I'm using all of the Nirran's mods for the RP, except for long hair Vic, so I advise someone try to check it in the vanilla RP with my savegame. I didn't come across any of the modded parts of the game yet, though.
RP version 2.1.2b installed directly on top of 1.02 UK version of Fallout 2, on Windows XP SP3, 32 bit. 3GB RAM, Athlon X2 64.

Savegames:
http://www.mediafire.com/?94c2x5xzxwr7cux

Nirran's mods:
http://nirran.com/FalloutRestorationProjectMods.php

How should I found location of the Slaver's Camp?

Just killed Metzger.
The slaves that I free from Metzger didn't tell me anything about it.
Now they are all gone...
I have activated "find Sulik's sister" quest, Sulik is in my party.

Is it a bug?

fixer_m said:
Just killed Metzger.
Ouch!
[spoiler:d7ae2f1aa0]If I remember correctly, it was Metzger himself who have marked the Slaver's Camp location in my pipboy. Haven't you tried to talk with him, before a gunfight? He can be convinced to reveal the secret. [/spoiler:d7ae2f1aa0]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back