Fallout 2 mod Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.3.3 (Unofficial Expansion)

Can't get it to work

i cant get the game to launch at all after installing the Restoration Project :/. It works fine in my note book, but on my desktop i cant make it work.
I'm using the steam version, both the Desktop and the notebooks are windows 10. When i try to launch the game, just pops a " fallout2.exe has stopped working"... :/

With steam version & Restoration Project, you must change the location of the game folder. Something like C:\Games\Fallout2. Already did ?

No. I said this because that's the procedure to install Fallout 1 + Fixt & Steam.

So, why do not try ?

Uninstall it first. Reinstalls it.

Then check this :

"C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout2".

take this folder,
put it like this (for exemple)--> "Fallout2" into C:\Games. THEN, install Restoration Project.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Howdy folks. I've been trying to get the GOG-version of FO2 + RP to start w/ macbook & wineskin, but I keep getting the "error loading cities"-error, even though I've set the appropriate override to use ddraw.dll's native version on all the executables found in FO2+RP installation directory.
Could someone please give a bit more detailed description, how it should be done. More detailed than this one found at F2RP-tech info-page.
Detail level could be "making FO2RP work on wineskin - the sub-brick idiot edition"
Thanks.

Greetings fellow Wastelanders! I live.

To start off, whoa, these forums are different from what I remember, but then again I have been away for almost a year. I see that I have several messages in my inbox but I get a server error when I try to read them. So sorry to those who I have not responded to.

Anyway, life has kept me away, as it always does. However, I would always think about you all from time to time and my desire to release one more update. I don't like to leave things undone and while I truly have no time anymore to devote to modding Fallout 2, I will still make one more release.

When will this happen, I don't know, but the desire to release is still there in me. I should probably first dust off the old modding machine and see if I still remember how to do all this. ;-)

Hope you all are well. Also a quick summary of "wut happen in the last year" here at NMA would be nice. :-)

Usual stuff happened for the most part. The release of FO4 came and went. Still waiting for DLCs and the modding tool to be released. Several older members of the Order have wandered back in recently. In the last few weeks, Korin has updated the site from vBulletin to Xenoforo. He's still tweaking things. If you have any ideas or suggestions for NMA, now would be an excellent time to contact him and make them.

Last edited:
Playing the Restoration Patch makes Fallout 2 feel like a completely different game. Well not completely different. Anyway, I really liked the patch but it seems to have removed some lateral thinking solutions that I have done in the last save.

I dislike combat and one of the ways that I get around large battles is locking doors. In that fight with Frog Morton, I locked all doors in warehouse except one which I couldn't lock even in the previous save. This allowed me to kill the two guards waiting outside and allowed me to make sure Morton's men only come out of one door. Now, those doors can't be locked anymore.

Another exploit that I have done was to place a lot of TNT and plastic explosives into AHS-9. Because my steal skill was so low, I keep failing. Instead, I placed all the explosives into his desk. While the new desk and room looks nicer, I can no longer place things into the desk.

BTW: While playing this patch, I encountered something amusing where I was in the process of locking a door when Cassidy opened the door causing me to lock the door while it is opened. I did it again without Cassidy. It turns out that I could lock doors to prevent them from closing.

@Erer08
Haha, oh I knew I'd be called out on that. Touche'. Yes, I did disappear right after saying that.

I will try hard to stop by more regularly. And actually get modding again one more time.

@Richwizard
Thanks for the update. Yeah, F4 didn't peak my interest at all. The new forums are taking a bit for me to get used to, but I'll live. :)

I really wish the raccoon mutants were developed enough to warrant an entry into the RP. That always gave me a Gammaworld vibe which would have added some much needed variety to Fallout's wildlife. Of course a lot of people aren't fond of the concept...

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Burrows

But the Burrows was cut content from the first game, so if any mod were to include it, it'd be Fixt, not the RP.

Ahh that is right. I had it switched around.

I can't really blame you. The Burrows definitely seems to have more of a Fallout 2 flavor to it. I could see it possibly working in Fallout 2, what with talking death claws and assorted silliness, but not so much the first game. Which of course is why they never implemented it.

When will this happen, I don't know, but the desire to release is still there in me. I should probably first dust off the old modding machine and see if I still remember how to do all this.:-)

Start going on wikia fixing the easiest stuff 1st to warm up little by little. ;)

Killap: I found a minor issue with the Kaga implementation. Forgive me if this has been discussed before.
When Kaga decides it's time to leave and runs towards a cave entrance as his nearest exit, he never takes it. The PC can then continue to beat him up until they get bored.
Savegame attached.
Also, thank you so much for your considerable efforts to improve one of the greatest PC games.

Attachments

Playing the Restoration Patch makes Fallout 2 feel like a completely different game. Well not completely different. Anyway, I really liked the patch but it seems to have removed some lateral thinking solutions that I have done in the last save.

I dislike combat and one of the ways that I get around large battles is locking doors. In that fight with Frog Morton, I locked all doors in warehouse except one which I couldn't lock even in the previous save. This allowed me to kill the two guards waiting outside and allowed me to make sure Morton's men only come out of one door. Now, those doors can't be locked anymore.

Another exploit that I have done was to place a lot of TNT and plastic explosives into AHS-9. Because my steal skill was so low, I keep failing. Instead, I placed all the explosives into his desk. While the new desk and room looks nicer, I can no longer place things into the desk.

BTW: While playing this patch, I encountered something amusing where I was in the process of locking a door when Cassidy opened the door causing me to lock the door while it is opened. I did it again without Cassidy. It turns out that I could lock doors to prevent them from closing.
This isn't the right thread for this but, forgive me Fallout Universe. Locking open doors is a time-honoured Fallout tradition. It avoids unfortunate lock-yourself-and-others-in mistakes. There are over 40 lockable doors in Klamath alone. That's 1000+ cheap experience points right there.

Last edited:
I don't know if this was a bug with the game or the patch; but in and after a long battle, some live NPCs would have their talk option replaced with loot. This becomes a big problem when it affects companions because you can not talk to them and they would only follow you to the next map. This has happen fairly often; but one time, it nearly cost me a lot of progress. I gave Lenny some vitamin .223 hoping for a cure or at least freeing up a companion slot. It worked and I reload decided to go for vitamin BB which worked just as well.

Attachments

Back