Fallout 2 mod Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.3.3 (Unofficial Expansion)

I would like to ask a question about a few bugs that came from Killaps RP - as I installed RPU mod on top (and FO2TWEAKS) and nothing else. Yet this didn't fix the bugs.

A few weapons seem to deal 0 damage no matter what: 14mm revolver, HK G11 and Hunting rifle.

Sometimes fights can get a bit silly where caravan guards in metal armor in early game have all a hunting rifle and lose against a few raiders without armor or leather jacket and have combat knifez and 10mm SMG because they cannot deal any damage.

Please could you let me know a way to fix this?
I have a suspicion it comes not from the weapon but the ammo modifiers. I may be wrong. But we can try upping the modifiers on the ammo (or put default, or put 0 modifiers) or maybe upping the damage of the hunting rifle?
I am too early in the game but maybe it could be interesting to see if the other sniping rifle using the same ammo encounters the same issue....

Thank you so much for an otherwise very amazing mod. If we could fix those annoying bugs it would be 100% perfect.

Edit: the reason why I know it comes from Killaps RP is because this has alrdy been reported in his thread. Plus my 2 brothers installed killaps RP and had the same damage bug.

Edit 2: installing Killaps RP without any ammo modification (No YAMM, no GLOVZ) still doesnt fix this for any of our 3 computers so my suspicion is that the original RP has introduced this bug.

Fo2 tweaks also is preconfigured for alternate damaga formula. Read config files and instalation instruction.

Last edited:
I've found a strange difference between RP's maps.txt and vanilla: random_start_point_X fields for most random encounter maps have been altered. Based on RPU change history, this file was never changed in git, so it must be from Killap. I compared one map (cavern0) and the original (vanilla FO2) start points seem more evenly spaced (roughly the same distance between player start point and NPC start point), while with the current RP positions some points are far away, while others are right on top of the player, which seems unfair.

Does anyone remember, what was the reason for this change?

I searched through Killap's changelogs but couldn't find anything about it.

Screenshots for illustration. Vanilla:
image.png

RP:
image.png

Another map:
Vanilla:
image.png

RP:
image.png

More examples. Here slot machines represent RP positions, Skill poles - vanilla FO2.
upload_2024-6-8_20-58-25.png

upload_2024-6-8_20-59-13.png

upload_2024-6-8_20-59-58.png

upload_2024-6-8_21-0-37.png

upload_2024-6-8_21-1-5.png

Last edited:
While making guesswork to find an answer, I found out perception impacts the position where you are placed on the map during an encounter, something I didnt know before. Assuming you did those tests with the same perception it would exclude perception being the reason why you got different results. I wonder if you would get the same reason with the unofficial patch alone(not the RP, just the unofficial patch).Other than that I can only try to guess, is that caused by the added content that somehow made a change necessary on the random encounters, it it because to fix some bugs it had to be made(apparently some freezes happened during random encounters in old versions)

Thisis what I found on the wiki "
Though some random encounters place enemies a preset distance from the player,[7] the vast majority of random encounters use the Chosen One's Perception to determine enemy placement. Specifically, enemies are placed a number of hexes away equal to the sum of:[8]

• the numerical value of the Chosen One's Perception
  • a random number between -2 and +2
  • +3 if they have Cautious Nature
So if those datas are accurate, would the differences be cause by the random number between-2 and +2?Also having more companions increase the number of the enemies, maybe the more enemies you will have the more it will seem "odd"?

Though some random encounters place enemies a preset distance from the player,[7] the vast majority of random encounters use the Chosen One's Perception to determine enemy placement. Specifically, enemies are placed a number of hexes away equal to the sum of:[8]
I don't need wiki, I've studied the game's code.
  1. Only "surrounding" encounters use these perception/perk calculations, but they don't use start points at all, but instead start from the dude's position.
  2. All normal "formation" team spawns always at one of those random start points. So the close ones mean point blank range from player always, nothing else affects positions in these cases.
caused by the added content that somehow made a change necessary on the random encounters
I don't see how any added maps or quests are related to these positions. Maybe it makes some Kaga encounters harder?

there's a certain perk ( though i forgot the name of it) that is related to perception and says it in the description that it gives the player a better starting placement in random encounters based on perception and or level of the perk, damn so it does work in RP, I actually thought thiat this perk is always broken, and You've found a proof that Killap did mess with this..

there's a certain perk ( though i forgot the name of it) that is related to perception and says it in the description that it gives the player a better starting placement in random encounters based on perception and or level of the perk, damn so it does work in RP, I actually thought thiat this perk is always broken, and You've found a proof that Killap did mess with this..
Read my post again. It works, but only for encounters where enemies surround you. More often they spawn in formations. It's hard-coded engine logic.

I remember that in the early days of the restoration project, the random encounters had been made more
Read my post again. It works, but only for encounters where enemies surround you. More often they spawn in formations. It's hard-coded engine logic.
On reddit someone mentioned that map problems issues were fixed in 2.1.1 that caused maps to appear empty.I have vague memories of facing empty maps in the old days of the RP.Do you think they could have been edited in a way that changed the positions of enemies?

A good way to figure might be to run a test withe unofficial patch alone, if you have time

My original memory is that survival and perception affect position of party in encounters (you are perceptive and or skilled to appear in beneficial position once encountering something). I am unsure this memory start with Fallout2 (instead of 1), but definite with Ettu.

Back