Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.3 (Unofficial Expansion)

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by killap, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iLikeDirt

iLikeDirt First time out of the vault

Dec 29, 2013
    As another data point, Umbra Village has the same problem.

I just reinstalled the whole thing using the installer and got the same results. I'll try a manual install on top of the existing install and see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll try a manual install on a fresh copy of the game.

if the manual installs all have the same problem, I'm gonna come back and claim that there's a real bug here somewhere. :)

2. RolandDeschain79

RolandDeschain79 Android Adventurer

Apr 12, 2012

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  3. killap

killap Bear Dude Moderator Modder

May 16, 2005
    Does it crash for the 1st/2nd encounter if you had the older RP files?

4. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    I'm somewhat curious if you don't install RP and go to the Den, would it be black screen too?
    Or try moving the new Den entrance map (denbus1.map for the west side) somewhere else then enter the Den with your savegame. If it works, try going to the east side.

5. iLikeDirt

Dec 29, 2013

6. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    Uh, nope. I extract old eckaga1/eckaga2 scripts from RP 2.3, both slots still load fine. :sad:

7. iLikeDirt

Dec 29, 2013
    With the FRP modded copy, if I move aside denbus1.map, load my savegame, and walk into the Den, I get the town map and I can walk around it (hooray!). I can successfully walk onto the denbus2.map.

8. killap

May 16, 2005
    Perhaps something with the high res patch then. Is it actually being used by the game?

But trust me, the answer lies in a bad installation/setup. If this was a bug, then I would have reports out the wazoo. Hopefully a Mac user can come out and give some input. And once we do figure it out, I'll add it to the FAQ.

EDIT: So in your post above you're saying that NOT using the RP map it loads? I'm still suspecting high res patch related stuff here.

9. killap

May 16, 2005
    [strike]@Darek
    Calling on your for some help, since you've done this in the past. Mountain1 is the map that is in both crashing saves for NovaRain. I pulled it out of his game and loaded it just fine in the Mapper. I cleared away everything and packaged it back up into the save game. Loaded the save game and still crash. So either I didn't do this right or something deeper is at play here.[/strike]

Turning off the Darek bat signal. Map was a red herring

Looks like I found the problem (yay process of elimination), but I have no idea why the hell this would crash the game. Crazy engine. But anyway, here are new files for Kaga that should prevent the crash from happening.

http://www.killap.net/fallout2/betas/kaga_rp231_FIXED.zip

Please test and confirm.

10. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    The 1st~4th encounter saves load fine, but the 5th still crashed. Here's my 5th Kaga encounter: https://www.mediafire.com/?33xzviceowszf9k

EDIT: If I load the 3rd & 4th saves and start fighting with Kaga, even if his HP is low enough for him to flee (plus crippled limbs), after I end the combat (to not let NPCs kill him) he will just stand there rather than run away as he should.

11. killap

May 16, 2005
    Does this also happen with the 1st and 2nd saves?

12. NovaRain

Mar 10, 2007
    No, that's why I only said 3rd and 4th.

EDIT: Plus, if he got knocked down when I end the combat, he just lays there and won't get up. Seems like his script crashed or something.

13. iLikeDirt

Dec 29, 2013
    Well, I had to set GRAPHICS_MODE=2 in f2_res.ini in order to get the colors back to normal, but I don't know if that would have been necessary was the high-res patch not bundled with FRP. But no, I'm still playing with 640x480 rather than a non-default resolution.

Anyone know how can I either disable the high-res patch entirely, or configure it properly here?

14. killap

May 16, 2005
    Well, there is a f2_res_Config.exe that comes with the RP. If you run that it can enable/disable the high-res patch, in addition to other various settings.

15. Schezza

Schezza First time out of the vault

Sep 7, 2013
    Do you have any clue why it stopped happening after he ran away and you had a chance to exit the deadly combat?

fixed my problem.
    Nova's 5th game crashes upon loading tho.

Today I've met 5th Kaga myself as well, I've had another crash but it was combat looks related. Apparently there are random crashes with it, had like 4 of em today, happens on mouseover enemies.

16. killap

May 16, 2005
    Alright, after more experimenting and whatnot, I have a new set of Kaga fixes that doesn't result in any crashes to any of the save games posted. Grab the new files here: http://www.killap.net/fallout2/betas/kaga_rp231_FIXED2.zip

In the end, the answer is, and always has been, don't save during combat. BUT, it's possible to have gotten this crash without saving during combat, I think. Who knows with this fickle engine. Basically, there was a race condition occurring here during map load. Hence why it didn't always happen.

Again, let me know how these files work out.

17. Schezza

Schezza First time out of the vault

Sep 7, 2013
    Fixed nova's 5th game. gratz bro and sorry for all the work I've brought to you :p

18. iLikeDirt

Dec 29, 2013
    After using that program to disable the mod, then loading my game and going to the Den, I still get the same problem. Only, this time the map isn't black, it's pink because the colors are all messed up, presumably because the setting that fixed that was in the f2_res.ini file, which is a part of the high-res patch.

19. killap

May 16, 2005
    Okay, so now load up ddraw.ini and change the graphics mode to 4. This also fixes the color issue (just like the high-res patch can do).

@Schezza: Cool, I think we got this one down. No worries, it's thanks to the save games of you and NovaRain that we finally got to the bottom of this one. Now if only I can figure out the very random occurrences of empty Kaga encounters.

@ everyone: We should still be on for releasing RP 2.3.1 today, Dec 30th.

20. Nick Loginov

Nick Loginov First time out of the vault

Dec 30, 2013
    Thanks-thanks-thanks very much to KillAP for such tremendous work over last decade!!!!
    I currently replaying Fallout. The matter why? -> New release of this great mod [2.3]. And i have to push buttunz.Again.

Many-many-many bugs removed. But some things remain heavily bugged to the bone and they are spoiling the game experience with unexpected quits and crashes.
    1) SAD location (Saving game at this location is completely unsafe. Sometimes saves become corrupted.)
    2) Boxing at New Reno and SF
    3) Kaga encounters

But in any case, original patched 1.02d version is more buggy than RP, considering the fact that RP have far more locations than original.
    KillAP, wish you all the best in the next years! Thank you for such stubbornness in eliminating zillions of bugs in such GREAT GAME!

Greetings from cold Russia!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.