Fallout 2 mod Fallout 2 Restoration Project Discussion (ideas/suggestions)

Sulik''s quest to find his sister.

Sulik came to Klamath because he heard Vic was there and wanted to ask him something that he thought would lead to his finding his sister. So, logically, when you first meet Vic, there should be a conversational path where Sulik yo ask Vic for something - information about slavers? -- on behalf of Sulik. Vic can be clueless, of course, and finding him may have been a waste of time, for Sulik, but still something should happen.

Grävling

Re: Sulik''s quest to find his sister.

lac said:
Sulik came to Klamath because he heard Vic was there and wanted to ask him something that he thought would lead to his finding his sister. So, logically, when you first meet Vic, there should be a conversational path where Sulik yo ask Vic for something - information about slavers? -- on behalf of Sulik. Vic can be clueless, of course, and finding him may have been a waste of time, for Sulik, but still something should happen.

Grävling

yes, it should be as funny as vic+valerie but made faster or clickable...
vic+valerie dialog was ok but annoying slow.. so was kaga1.2..

it made my day, to see kaga1.2 run like a pussy.. but in kaga2.0, he's too nerfed.. and just stand there waiting for my npc to kill his ass... if i walk too near, he'd run away but not from the map.. a ranged shot and kill him.. too easy..

during 1.2, my first 2 kaga meeting was cumbersome, i decided to flee, but finally when i geared up for meeting no3,4, i learned he was runner when he was defeated, so i decided he wasnt worth the time. but when meeting him no5, and a dialog "time to end this" or "this ends here" or something like that.. it was good fight although still easy.. it was 5v1.. haha kaga with 800hps was still too easy..

anyone else missed kaga1.2?
kaga2.0 has good posse to loot from too.. but too weak, too buggy..

Tagaziel said:
Did anyone get to the submarine? If so, what's your opinion?
I think there is an impression that the sub was going to be a new major inclusion for RP 2.0, like the Abby or EPA. It is more or less a single building (Scale wise). It can be upgraded into a 2 or 3 level structure, but don’t expect any new overwhelming artwork. The original 3d models are lost, so it is difficult to add to the sub. As for tinkering with the mission – characters, Killap and Dravean are the ones to discuss this with, they understand the sub better than anyone.

Yeah, Pixote, I for one was expecting two or three levels in the sub. The artwork and map layout are awesome, though.

First of all, thank you Killap and everyone else who has done work on the Restoration Project. I've really enjoyed the mod. so far.

Now for a suggestion... For as long as I recall playing Fallout 2 I've always hated it when a recruited NPC's turn would end after they get a kill even when they still have enough AP left to use another attack. It really makes no sense and really weakens NPC's too..

MakeItDuff said:
First of all, thank you Killap and everyone else who has done work on the Restoration Project. I've really enjoyed the mod. so far.

Now for a suggestion... For as long as I recall playing Fallout 2 I've always hated it when a recruited NPC's turn would end after they get a kill even when they still have enough AP left to use another attack. It really makes no sense and really weakens NPC's too..

Check the settings in your ddraw.ini file in your Fallout2 folder. There's a function that covers this, and all you have to do is turn it on!

MakeItDuff said:

yo,
look for this line in ddraw, and i dare u to change from 0 to 1:

;Causes npc's who complete their combat turn with ap left over will try and find other ways to spend it.
;Only npcs with ap left equal to or greater than the value given here will be considered.
NPCsTryToSpendExtraAP=0

Thanks. I did not know of this feature.

I am guessing it is this?

;Causes npc's who complete their combat turn with ap left over will try and find other ways to spend it.
;Only npcs with ap left equal to or greater than the value given here will be considered.
NPCsTryToSpendExtraAP=0

Seems to imply it should be on by default, though.. >= 0 means they'll try something if they've any AP left. And 0 is the default value..

... Just set the value to 5 (the normal # of AP needed to shoot small guns) and it works. Is this working as intended?

MakeItDuff said:
Seems to imply it should be on by default, though.. >= 0 means they'll try something if they've any AP left. And 0 is the default value..

... Just set the value to 5 (the normal # of AP needed to shoot small guns) and it works. Is this working as intended?
Yes, that's working as intended. (Except for the critical miss thingy...) The comment could use an explicit 'set to 0 to disable', but logically speaking since an npc with 0 ap remaining obviously has nothing left to spend, a setting of 0 wouldn't be any different to 1.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned (I didn't read the whole 33 pages).

Upon fighting the Masticator, wasn't it originally intended that the fight would take place in Bishop's basement boxing ring?

If you've already killed Bishop maybe it wouldn't make sense, then the fight could be held in the gym instead. But if you didn't, it would be awesome to fight him in the basement ring, in front of an audience that would include Bishop of course.

Per Jorner's walkthrough said:
In the basement you find the Masticator and a boxing ring which is never used (legend has it that the final boxing fight was supposed to take place in here before an audience), but pick up the Plated Boxing Gloves for use in the boxing matches.

Harold said:
Upon fighting the Masticator, wasn't it originally intended that the fight would take place in Bishop's basement boxing ring?
I agree that would make an excellent improvement to the boxing encounter…was that a part of the original concept. Actually the first time I played the game I thought that I would have to fight the Masticator there, and was surprised the fight never occurred in Bishops basement.

i killed masticator in bishop's basement. and when i fought for the title bout, 3 fighters later, i become prizefighter without risking my ears bitten off.

is this the way to avoid my ear from being bitten off?
is this normal?

Dunno if this belongs here or unofficial patch thread, but I think the description of Sharpshooter perk should be changed a bit. Since in FO2 it only has only one level, the "for each level of this perk..." might be misleading new players to think it's a multi-level perk.

Hello, killap.

Not long ago I've read a post by Dravean in RP1.2 thread about getting into Navarro inside a Vertibird:

I believe this sequence was meant to serve a similar purpose to the part in Fallout 1 where you can have the Super Mutant at Necropolis "arrest you" and take you to the Military Base. It's simply a neat way to get a sneak peak at an end game place long before you're supposed to get there. Of course, the chance of getting out of that place alive at that early point is slim-to-none. So, just like in Fallout 1, you'll most likely die and have to re-load.
Having played Fallout1 recently, I am inclined to disagree. It is entirely possible (and in fact, extremely easy) to escape from the Military Base with a relatively low-level character with half-decent PE (kamikaze helps, a lot), EN and AG ('Bonus Move' perk is VERY useful, but requires lvl 6). All you need is enough HP's to endure a single shot from Laser Rifle, and quick reflexes. There are several different approaches to leaving the Military Base, based on whether or not your character:

1) Has a good speech
2) Has a good stealth
3) Plans to retrieve his stuff
4) Plans to raise an alarm (you can still leave without killing anyone)
5) Plans to destroy the Military Base (you can do so without raising an alarm)
6) Plans to kill everyone inside

Everything is possilble for a 5th level character with 53 Hit Points with a decent probability of success (95% to just leave, everything else depends on your skills). It goes without saying that this is without having to resolve to reloads or exploits such as running from Lieutenant while continuously pressing 'A' key.

What I am trying to say, being taken to Military Base in Fallout1 is not a "sneak peak" at the end of the game, nor it is a death sentence, but a different way of plot progression. If the intent of adding a sequence with the Vertibird was to bring Fallout2 more in line with how Fallout1 used to handle things, perhaps there should be a way out of this situation.

What do you think?

.Pixote. said:
Just to let people know I am open to suggestions if some aspect of the maps seems out of place (i.e. - the rusting doors in the lower levels of the EPA) - they have been changed.

This isn't "out of place" but more along the lines of something missing.

I implore you to add some "fish" to Chinatown. I'm talking about the fish items that are at the Primitive Tribe, which I believe would fit in wonderfully in San Fransisco (particularly in the fridges of the populace).

Suggestion - Endings

Just a small suggestion regarding Vault City/NCR/Redding endings:

Would it be possible to alter the requirements for "Redding annexed by Vault City", so that should you get the "'VC joins the NCR" ending for Vault City, you would instead get "Redding joins the NCR" ending for Redding?

Seems illogical that you could have both an independant VC that takes over Redding, as well as a VC that is no longer independant, and controlled by NCCR?

suggestions re-iterated for food/water/etc requirements:

to lose hp after every 8 hours (3 meals per day) in the new food/water system?
even passing time in town? or when travelling in the worldmap? or both?

enforcing fatigue system to force the "chosen one"
to drop tired and sleep for few hours?
popup msg saying "yawn, i need some sleep", "shit, i need some zzzz"

then waking up hungry/thirsty?
to go pee/poo?
to puke when using chem or during withdrawal?

to get horny at least once a week?
maybe a new "sex addict" perk/addiction?
random sickness? like a flu? like poisoned effect?
in fallout, you can get radiated, but u cant catch a cold/flu..

Back