fallout 2 was the borderlands 2 of the 1990s change my mind.

TeeVoo

First time out of the vault
I've beaten fallout 1, have gotten half way through fallout 2 two times now and haven't finished it, I will more than likely finish it this time but something that started to get a bit annoying was the "humor".
Yes it's a fun game, but the endless culture references just scream "dudebro" game dev. Gay super mutant gimps, a random event that is in reference to a "spam war" on a forum (lol???) "we beat the spammer yeaaahh!" a guy shooting brahmin at you/exploding when you get his questions right.

It screams "shoot shooty mcshoot face in the face" to complete quest. It's the "rawr XD" of the 90s.
The so called god of the franchise Chris have-a-loan filled the game with childish toilet humor and references to online forums and spam wars done over dial up internet.
on top of that he contradicts the invention of jet in it's own quest series. Apparently there were jet addicts before jet was even invented, which is Bethesda levels of writing but this time straight from the horses mouth.

The game is great and a straight up grade in mechanics from fallout 1, but the tone shift and humor in it kind of sucks. Dice roll to not get ass raped by a super mutant is a true low of the franchise in my opinion.

I would say it's more comparable to beyond thunderdome than borderlands 2 because borderlands 2 wasn't much of a tonal or quality shift at all tbh. Borderlands 1 was also unfunny and ass

In what ways?
Take All button, push companions out of the way, trade more than 999 of something at a time, more unarmed attacks, change companion armor and combat tactics, friend or foe perk is now the default setting (I think), charisma isn’t quite as useless due to the companion limit.

That’s just off the top of my head.

Take All button, push companions out of the way, trade more than 999 of something at a time, more unarmed attacks, change companion armor and combat tactics, friend or foe perk is now the default setting (I think), charisma isn’t quite as useless due to the companion limit.

That’s just off the top of my head.
Also, the little arrows that change to other bodies to loot when they are on top of each other. :wiggle:

The so called god of the franchise Chris have-a-loan filled the game with childish toilet humor and references to online forums and spam wars done over dial up internet.
on top of that he contradicts the invention of jet in it's own quest series. Apparently there were jet addicts before jet was even invented, which is Bethesda levels of writing but this time straight from the horses mouth.

Pretty weird that you attribute everything to Avellone, when he was just 1 out of 8 designers working on the game (not even a lead on the project).
Feargus Urquhart ultimately regrets OKing a lot of "rawr XD" stuff, but the horse already bolted.

The only contradiction regarding jet is not part of any quest, but 1 line by Mrs Bishop when you ask her how she met Mr Bishop.

The Fallout 2 team had an unreasonable amount of time to make a game 3x bigger than the previous one and they've lost the Troika guys. They did some things better and some things worse.
But ultimately I'm happy with it's existence.

The only contradiction regarding jet is not part of any quest, but 1 line by Mrs Bishop when you ask her how she met Mr Bishop.
About contradictions, I recently noticed that Fallout 2 map doesn't align with Fallout 1 map, the locations are moved slightly to the west.

Someone should make a reverse restoration project that cuts as much stupid shit from Fallout 2 as possible, condensing it into a compact game more akin to Fallout 1 in scope and tone. That would probably require even more work than what went into the RP in the first place, tho.

I've beaten fallout 1, have gotten half way through fallout 2 two times now and haven't finished it, I will more than likely finish it this time but something that started to get a bit annoying was the "humor".
Yes it's a fun game, but the endless culture references just scream "dudebro" game dev. Gay super mutant gimps, a random event that is in reference to a "spam war" on a forum (lol???) "we beat the spammer yeaaahh!" a guy shooting brahmin at you/exploding when you get his questions right.

It screams "shoot shooty mcshoot face in the face" to complete quest. It's the "rawr XD" of the 90s.

The game is great and a straight up grade in mechanics from fallout 1, but the tone shift and humor in it kind of sucks. Dice roll to not get ass raped by a super mutant is a true low of the franchise in my opinion.
Yeah, I can see the parallel, both franchises' first games are very atmospheric, dark and gritty, color palletes are very brown and gray, both have dark humor, then the second game is very colorful full of references, nerdy humor. But in the end, they still stay somewhat serious.

Back