Fallout 3 50% off on Steam

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
We don't usually post on all the Fallout 3-related sales, but considering the popularity of Steam it'll probably interest quite a few people that Fallout 3 is now 50% off in an early-started weekend deal.<blockquote>Weekend Deal - Save 50%
What better way to enjoy your weekend than to fight for survival against the terrors of a post-nuclear Washington D.C.? Fallout 3 is 50% off, this weekend only.
<s>44,99€</s> 22,49€ </blockquote>

Ehh, I still don't understand why people buy stuff to download, especially after hearing the horror stories of Steam accounts getting hacked and all that money wasted. It's cheaper on eBay anyway, a solid, physical retail copy there sells for around $20-$30 now.

Yup, still not enough to tempt me. I'm going to wait until I can find the PC version second-hand somewhere like CEX for a fiver to ensure none of my hard-earned goes to Bethesda at all.

egalor said:
Apologies, but this sounds like some childish rantings.
everyone has to decide if it's worth it to them or not. it's not like these comments made here will sway anyone. problem of course being that you pretty much have to play it before you can make up your mind yourself if you haven't already... i don't think Steam has any 'return' policy. :)

as for the steam issues? dunno, never had any problems and never had any friends that had any problems that weren't resolved.

TamaNeko said:
Ehh, I still don't understand why people buy stuff to download, especially after hearing the horror stories of Steam accounts getting hacked and all that money wasted.
If you're conscious and careful about your information, your account will not get 'hacked'. Most of those reports are actually from people who are morons and give their password to people who add them on Steam and pretend to be Steam admins (even though Steam clearly states that they will never ever contact you through the friends system, nor will they ever ask for your password).

Frankly, Steam works well, it's very convenient for me and I've never had a problem with it.

There's horror stores for PayPal too, TamaNeko. And horror stories for using your digital access to your bank account. And horror stories for credit cards.

Hell, there are horror stories for cars, yet we don't revert back to horse-and-wagon.

Why? Because the convenience outweighs the risk. Easily.

Though I should not I almost exclusively buy discount games on Steam, not full-priced ones.

egalor said:
Apologies, but this sounds like some childish rantings.

Really? People saying something is not worth the price it's offered at is the core of capitalism. 's what it sounds like to me.

SuAside said:
as for the steam issues? dunno, never had any problems and never had any friends that had any problems that weren't resolved.

That is what I was going to say, + I purchased my copy of Fallout 3 on steam and I've had no problem changing the exe for another one and sidestepping both steam and gfwl so I can use script extenders (needed for some mods).

I remember when steam came out and what a joke it was, but by now I get almost everything digitally... the last thing I purchased on DVD was "The Sims 3" because the EULA is different and I can install it on multiple machines without any problems... it will go on my girlfriends new laptop I am planning to buy.

I think we've gone to the other extreme a bit, lugaru. People seem to have completely forgotten that Steam is basically a very invasive, account-tied DRM, fucking up even retail copies of game once they're tied up to a Steam account.

That kind of gets lost amongst the anti-DRM anger.

Brother None said:
I think we've gone to the other extreme a bit, lugaru. People seem to have completely forgotten that Steam is basically a very invasive, account-tied DRM, fucking up even retail copies of game once they're tied up to a Steam account.

That kind of gets lost amongst the anti-DRM anger.

I think the problem is that the argument is entirely between well educated consumers: I know the pros and cons and like it, you know the pros and cons and avoid it... but a whole bunch of people out there probably think it is just like owning the disk or on the other extreme think that steam reports on your internet searches and wrecks your computer.

Still as somebody who often moves from one tiny boston apartment to anothe every couple of years well Digital Distribution has made my life a lot easier... I mostly watch movies with netflix, tv with HULU, read comics with marvels digital service and play games with steam. I dont even need to have stuff on my hard drive, most of my entertainment is streaming or something I can install and uninstall with little trouble.

Then again if I end up living in a place like West Virginia again where space is plentyful and bandwith is limited, well man, I'll have a barn full of comics, game boxes and dvd's in no time.

lugaru said:
I know the pros and cons and like it, you know the pros and cons and avoid it...

Huh? Dude, I love digital download. I own 73 games on Steam and at least a dozen more spread out over GOG, GamersGate, Impulse and Direct2Drive. Admittedly quite a few of those were bought at extreme discounts or are review copy unlocks, but still...

Hell, I just finally got around to finishing Half-Life and then following up by playing the entire series through (is it me or was HL2:E1 hella weak?), and it was easy as one-two-three since I bought the entire HL pack at a discount from Steam ages ago, and just downloaded and played away. I love me some DD.

Yeah, impulse will be the death of me.

"I wonder why they call it impulse... HOLY CRAP! This game I've never heard of is 75% off this weekend! Oh... impulse buy, I get it".

I've bought a lot of indy strategy games for like 5 bucks, some awful but some are pretty good.

Back