Fallout 3 at E3 - Firing Squad/Grrlgamer

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Firing Squad:<blockquote>The game is supposed to have your father disappear and you are supposed to go find him. For E3 demo reasons we skipped this event and proceeded over to the vault entrance, encountering a funny robot who sounded a bit like Monty Python's Graham Chapman (right down to the "stupid git" farewell we got from him). It's clear from this standpoint and other aspects of the demo that Fallout 3 will indeed have a lot of humor like the first two games had which is certainly encouraging for long time Fallout fans. Anyway, we got the code to open the vault and in a rather long sequence we saw the massive door open and we walked through to the outside.
(...)
Yes, some Fallout fans will likely be upset that the game is designed as a first person title and is set on the East Coast but that's nitpicking in our eyes. The real test of Fallout 3 will be if the game keeps the humorous spirit of the top down first two Fallout games with the high end graphics and immersive gameplay that the new developer plans to bring to the table. The E3 demo was way too brief to put a definite answer to that question but we certainly will be keeping an eye on the game in the many months before its scheduled shipment to stores.</blockquote>We must've really missed the memo that Fallout was only about its humor, and that it's humor was Pythonesque. Grrlgamer:<blockquote>A bit like in Oblivion, NPCs react to you according to your conversation choices. But there are speech challenges. At certain times you have to influence NPCs to tell you things you need to know. The higher your speech skill, the better the percentage of success, which is shown.</blockquote>Link: E3 2007: Fallout 3 Impressions at Firing Squad.
Link: E3 2007: Fallout 3 at Grrlgamer.

Spotted on Gamebanshee.

Brother None said:
For E3 demo reasons we skipped this event and proceeded over to the vault entrance, encountering a funny robot who sounded a bit like Monty Python's Graham Chapman (right down to the "stupid git" farewell we got from him).

So.. whatever happened to "We're following the spirit of Fallout 1" and "there'll be minimal pop-culture references, none of that Monty Python stuff"?

Brother None said:
The real test of Fallout 3 will be if the game keeps the humorous spirit of the top down first two Fallout games with the high end graphics and immersive gameplay that the new developer plans to bring to the table.

Whatever happened to the immersive gameplay that used to be at the table?

Yes, some Fallout fans will likely be upset that the game is designed as a first person title and is set on the East Coast but that's nitpicking in our eyes.

Yes point of view and setting, two of the biggest possible changes that can be made to a game franchise with very little possibility of retaining artistic integrity, yeah, just two minor things there, complete nitpicking.

Firing Squad said:
...encountering a funny robot who sounded a bit like Monty Python's Graham Chapman (right down to the "stupid git" farewell we got from him). It's clear from this standpoint and other aspects of the demo that Fallout 3 will indeed have a lot of humor like the first two games...
Please, someone with English as his/her native language, explain to me is that "stupid git" joke really that hilarious?

According to the tabloids, it's far more dangerous than The Funniest Joke in the World they used against Germans in one of the Monty Python's skits.

Edit: the name of the joke.

Him complimenting a person on a suit and then mumbling an insult can be pretty funny with the proper comedic timing and tone.

How that kind of Pythonesque humour is related to Fallout is beyond me.

lisac2k said:
Please, someone with English as his/her native language, explain to me is that "stupid git" joke really that hilarious?

The robot insults you behind your back, don't you get it? He calls you a git!! that's British!! that must be funny!

it's HIGH-larious :roll:

I have to admit I loved the idea of the robot asking the super mutants "TICKETS PLEASE?" It was a funny and clever reference to Indiana Jones. They're overdoing it with the 'stupid git' thing.

Brother None said:
Firing Squad:<blockquote>Yes, some Fallout fans will likely be upset that the game is designed as a first person title and is set on the East Coast but that's nitpicking in our eyes. </blockquote>

oooo now you've got them riled up. :clap:

metalboss44 said:
I have to admit I loved the idea of the robot asking the super mutants "TICKETS PLEASE?" It was a funny and clever reference to Indiana Jones. They're overdoing it with the 'stupid git' thing.

It doesn't make any sense from a more logical perspective, though. Why in the world would ticket bots be set up to shred someone to bits just because they didn't have a metro ticket?

I could accept having heavily armed robots in the metro system if the game laid out some logical reason for their having been put there prior to the war. But, however "amusing" the reference to Indiana Jones may be, it just seems nonsensical and "mood breaking" to somehow suggest that, pre-war in the Fallout world, there was an instant death penalty for trying to jump a turn style or just forgetting to bring your metro pass.

As for the "stupid git" joke, it makes no sense simply from the perspective that in Fallout, "real" AI was limited to massive mainframe computers in heavily guarded military bases. It wasn't a tech that should have been available in consumer products, like Mr. Handee.

If both of those things make it into the game, I guess they're then "canon," and we have to come up with ways to explain them away. It'd be nice, though, if we have to explain away as few things as possible.

No, it would have been an Indiana Jones reference if the robot said "NO TICKET!" after blasting a mutant. As it is, Kevin Smith already put a better reference of the same scene in Dogma eight years ago. Good to know Bethesda are keeping up.

how is a complete relocation from west coast to east coast "nitpicking" that's a pretty fucking major thing. As is the vantage point as it makes a huge difference in how the game plays. You're going from a game that could be played using just the mouse to a game that will no doubt require you to keep a hand on the keyboard.

Section8 said:

No, it would have been an Indiana Jones reference if the robot said "NO TICKET!" after blasting a mutant. As it is, Kevin Smith already put a better reference of the same scene in Dogma eight years ago. Good to know Bethesda are keeping up.

In any case, as Fallout 1 vs Fallout 2 proved:
1. Only obvious references to 50s pulp and perhaps a smattering of references to modern cult = good
2. Obvious reference to modern cult all over = bad

I don't think it was an Indiana Jones reference. I hope not.

I think the robotic "Tickets Please" moment, might have been a peusdo Indy Jones moment. But I think its real reason is far more sinistar.

They really can't figure out how to imploy the science/computer skills immersivly. Basically they said... "hmm how can use robots here Todd?

Todd said: Let there be robotic ticket takers who can attack even the strongest characters in the game, and kill them for not having a ticket. It will be a good use of the science skill, that otherwise might be overlooked. And it will make the player feel like he didn't waste the points on the skill. And on another plane of exsistence somebody will find it funny.

you guys are looking into this way too much

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade did not pioneer the phrase "tickets please"

the robot is designed to accept tickets and be courteous, therefore 'Tickets Please'

the 'Stupid git' aspect is something that utter douchebags would find funny "haw haw haw that robot said git, it must be british"

Dougly said:
metalboss44 said:

It doesn't make any sense from a more logical perspective, though. Why in the world would ticket bots be set up to shred someone to bits just because they didn't have a metro ticket?

I could accept having heavily armed robots in the metro system if the game laid out some logical reason for their having been put there prior to the war. But, however "amusing" the reference to Indiana Jones may be, it just seems nonsensical and "mood breaking" to somehow suggest that, pre-war in the Fallout world, there was an instant death penalty for trying to jump a turn style or just forgetting to bring your metro pass.

I believe in the GamingTrend article it mentioned that the robot attacked the muties after they attempted to rip it's arms off. So that would make some kind of sense. It wasn't a death sentence not to have a ticket but to attack the robot.

Although I'm certainly not trying to defend the ZOMGlazerbots (I really don't like them), I don't believe that simply not being able to produce a ticket is the reason for them pulling out their lasers and blasting the mutants. In the previews, I believe I remember it being mentioned that the "super mutants" (if I must call them that) threatened the robot(s) and attempted to pull its arms off, and that was the trigger for it going berserk on them.

Still stupid, though. And that "stupid git" joke really isn't funny, unless it's just brilliantly executed in-game in a way that just doesn't translate in writing.

Edit: D'oh, beaten to it.

The blasting away in response to ripping off arms things still doesn't make sense.

Why not?

Well, do human ticket collectors in the subway carry guns? No? Then why would a ticket checking robot be armed with lasers with the capability of shredding apart supermutants?

That is true, it still doesn't make much sense. Merely slightly more than culling forgetful people.

Back