Fallout 3 at PAX: Heroine Sheik and The Exploding Barrel

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Tannhauser, Sep 1, 2008.

1. JESUS

JESUS It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 19, 2008
    That leg stuff about the guy being shot 10 times and not going down didn´t bother me, like someone said it´s stat based and maybe he didn´t get a good critical. I mean even in Fallout 1 it would take some time without criticals to cripple a raider with a pistol.

2. oihrebwe

oihrebwe Still Mildly Glowing

Jul 15, 2008
    but limbs have their own pool of HP in FO3, so the leg should be crippled long before 10 shots regardless of whether you get a critical or not.

3. endaround

endaround First time out of the vault

Jul 21, 2008
    6 weeks out isn't early build time. Yes the graphics may get a little bit of luster added on but the engine has been set for a while now. Bethesda will continue one Fallout tradition, releasing a buggy game.

4. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    I seem to remember reading that aswell though I don't remember where.

Actually you couldn't cripple an opponent in Fallout without a critical hit. Period. I think that it's a fair point and it's one that's been brought up before, it takes marginally more damage to kill an opponent than it does to cripple them. A single limb's HP should not be more than half their total HP as to make the mechanic tactically useful.

That said, if their point was that it's stupid that it takes multiple hits to cripple a limb then I agree, they are retarded.

5. Simeon

Simeon First time out of the vault

Oct 7, 2007
    I'd sooner die than read Ayn Rand.

6. ushdugery

ushdugery First time out of the vault

Jun 5, 2008
    Fallout 3 isn't an rpg either it's a shooter.

7. TheGM

TheGM The voice of reason

Aug 19, 2008
    You could say it is more of a RPG then Bioshock since it is some what stat based.

Should I feel bad for saying that? I'm so conflicted right now.

8. Dourvas

Dourvas First time out of the vault

Aug 11, 2008
    women....

9. EnglishMuffin

EnglishMuffin Still Mildly Glowing

Jul 21, 2008
    [/quote]Fallout 3 isn't an rpg either it's a shooter.[/quote]

It's both actually. It's a terribly conceived and developed shooter coupled with the bare bones minimal amount of rpg elements. It still has more rpg elements than bioshock by a long run.

Well I guess if you would be fair it just takes the fallout rpg elements and warps them into a facade that barely resembles the greatness of what it once was, but it still is an rpg. A very very shitty rpg. With sprinkles on the top....and a cherry.

10. Fear_Embodied

Fear_Embodied First time out of the vault

Jun 26, 2008
    Goddamn. Anonymous seems to be having a party over there in the comments section. With all the "lulz"s and the "lolwut"s being flung around.

11. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    even though what she said in that blog is kinda retarded, I do feel sorry for her for taking all this hit afterwards. she should've done more research though.

as for Fallout 3 being an rpg or not. it's a crpg. deal with it.

12. FeelTheRads

FeelTheRads Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 15, 2004
    Even the official classification disagrees with you. It's an Action RPG. Deal with it. That is if you're so keen on accepting official classifications.

13. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    so an action rpg can't be a computer role-playing game?

ok.

14. aronsearle

aronsearle Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 14, 2005
    That is some serious butthurt in the comments section.

15. Per

Per Vault Consort Staff Member Admin

Apr 1, 2004
    Am I to believe there isn't a novel called Heroine Sheik and the Exploding Barrel?

16. JESUS

JESUS It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 19, 2008
    Actually it can, a half-ass one but it still can. The problem is when you ignore the rpg part and concentrate on the action one.
    And most action games like Stalker have rpg elements but are action in there core ones, Fallout 3 seens like a kid who doesn't know if he's straight rpg or gay action (i vote he's gay action). :lol:

17. Texas Renegade

Texas Renegade Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Aug 21, 2008
    I think she missed several times when shooting the leg and didn't realize it.

18. aronsearle

aronsearle Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 14, 2005
    Na. what she described is a common occurrence in RPG's, where you constantly hit, but for next to no damage. When i say common, i mean that it's not uncommon to have a string of unsuccessful dice roll's.

it's why "I" just find the idea of a FPS/RPG to be inherently flawed.

19. TheGM

TheGM The voice of reason

Aug 19, 2008
    And people said Jesus couldn't be enitertaining in todays world.

20. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    That was the exploding barrel, not the chick who thought it was ripping off bioshock.