Fallout 3 at PAX: Heroine Sheik and The Exploding Barrel

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Tannhauser, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Eyenixon

Eyenixon Vault Senior Citizen

Apr 11, 2008
    Who would want to.

2. B5C

B5C It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 1, 2008
    People who have a lot of time on their hands.

3. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Please don't insult people like that.

Ayn Rand Sucks jokes aside, BioShock did rip off Fallout. It's storyline and the philosophical underpinnings of its setting are Rand-based, but its "unique" combination of retro-50s jolly spirit with art deco architecture is pretty clearly inspired by Fallout

Rip off might be a bit too big a term.

4. B5C

Sep 1, 2008
    I don't believe Bioshock ripped off Fallout nor Fallout ripped Bioshock. Bioshock world was based off after WWII. Also note the architecture reminds me of 1930-40s Flash Gordon serials.

Bioshock was about a city in chaos after a revolution against a man's power and to keep his objectivism world, while Fallout make fun of the 1950's M.A.D. world.

5. Brother None

Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Fallout can not rip off BioShock since it is older than BS.

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure the BS devs have recognized Fallout as one of their inspirations. And I'd say the combination of retro-50s dystopia with 30s architectury is an idea fairly unique to Fallout.

6. B5C

Sep 1, 2008
    Wasn't BS was more close to System Shock than Fallout. To me it was basically System Shock underwater.

7. TheGM

TheGM The voice of reason

Aug 19, 2008
    I've seen alot of things and I didn't start seeing a "combination of retro-50s dystopia with 30s architectury" untill after Fallout.

So I agree.

8. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    In terms of gameplay, maybe, just like Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns. But the setting was pretty clearly inspired by Fallout.

9. Brother None

Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    What? Look, BioShock isn't just based on one thing. Its gameplay is somewhat connected to System Shock, its story is loosely based on Ayn Rand, and its setting is inspired by Fallout.

Why do you think Ayn Rand or System Shock influencing it means Fallout can't? Dude, you're making absolutely zero sense. Kelvin zero.

10. B5C

Sep 1, 2008
    Let me ask you all this question.

Did James Oliver Rigney, Jr (Wheel of Time) ripped off J.R.R. Tolkien's vision of Fantasy?

The only thing that can come close to ripping off Fallout is the Plasmid videos. It's as close to the Vault boy art, but that was the art style of the time.

11. Brother None

Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    No, but he was inspired by it. And he'll probably admit he was. Just like the BioShock makers (should) admit to being inspired by Fallout, and that's not just limited to the plasmid animations.

Honestly, why are you being so stubborn on this point?

12. alec

alec White heterosexual male Orderite

May 21, 2003
    That Bioshock art is actually far superior to Fallout's. In each and every way. Those guys did their homework. And reread it before giving it to the teach. It's like vintage Peter Arno.
    Vault Boy is cute and all, but he can't beat the swiftness and boldness of those lines, a feat highly admired by fans of old cartoons (and artists alike).

13. Jim Cojones

Jim Cojones It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 6, 2008
    Only few people.

14. Cimmerian Nights

Cimmerian Nights So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2004
    Vault Boy himself is just a rip-off of the Monoploy guy I always thought.

15. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    And even in terms of gameplay FO3 goes back to Arena, which came out in the same year as System Shock. If anything, they are both descendants of Ultima Underworld.

16. B5C

Sep 1, 2008
    25 million may have bought it, but who had really finished the book? :|

17. ScarcticCG

ScarcticCG First time out of the vault

Aug 22, 2008
    Did anybody else send her an email? I sent her an email.
    I sent her an angry email.

18. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    I did... sadly...

Rand was a hack.

A side note, this is quite funny.

19. Stag

Stag Guest

Seriously, how determined are you to make me want to side with Todd fuggin' Howard?

20. Cow

Cow First time out of the vault

Aug 23, 2008
    Hoho RPG mechanics confuse first person shooter players again!

If you had a camera crew with you or you arrived 10 minutes late they turned you away, otherwise there had to be atleast 500 seats open in a theater that probably fit 3,000. Bethesda smartly scheduled their event after Gabe and Tycho did their "making of strip" and only a handful of people left after that.

The demo was fixed. You could activate 3rd person mode but you couldn't zoom out and rotate like in the final build that Howard played in front of an audience.

And yeah, that Heroine chick (what a name) should do her research before typing up a load of lies.