Fallout 3 Broken Steel Reviews

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
And another dabble. IGN 8.5.<blockquote>Playing through the new content took me roughly seven hours which is a bit longer than the past Fallout 3 add-ons. Along the way, you'll find a few new enemies and a few new weapons to deal with them. The new Tesla Canon must be the most powerful weapon in the game yet, capable of taking down Vertibirds and most any enemy in a single shot. There's also the Heavy Incinerator that spits long range balls of fire. Fire that baby up in VATS for a great looking kill. These new toys and the hours of gameplay would be enough to satisfy many and that isn't even getting into the feature that has Fallout 3's hardcore fans so excited. </blockquote>Cheat Code Central 4/5.<blockquote>With the major hike in the level cap comes a commensurate level of opportunities to kill things. The Enclave Hellfire Trooper, dangerous troops who wield the must-have Heavy Incinerator and fire-resistant armor, are one of the most interesting new foes you'll face. Others are simply upgraded versions of older adversaries, including Super Mutant Overlords, Feral Ghoul Reavers, a variety of robots and turrets, and even the hearty Albino Radscorpions. In addition to a handful of flame throwing devices, most of the new weaponry to be found is ridiculously powerful. Heavy Incinerator rounds erupt on contact, causing anything within range to ignite and receive peripheral burn damage. The new Tesla Cannon also delivers a tremendous blast that continues to cause area-of-effect damage for a short time beyond the initial impact. There's also a chance to pick up a Fat Boy and some other excellent ordinance, for players who've yet to come across them in the main game.</blockquote>
That VideoGame Blog.<blockquote>We read some reports of Broken Steel containing errors when it was released but encountered no such bugs ourselves. Everything ran smoothly with occasional texture and environmental pop in that was always present within Fallout 3. Others have reported experiencing Achievements not showing up on Xbox Live, however that is being worked out. Don’t let that stop you from spending the 800 ($10) MS points on Broken Steel. It’s more than just a side story, it’s more Fallout 3 altogether. Don’t be surprised if you spend close to 7 hours getting every new thing in the expansion. It’s worth the purchase.</blockquote>TeamXbox (impressions).<blockquote>You’ll find a new weapon, an awesomely powerful one at that, with which you’ll take the fight to the Enclave’s last – but not least – pocket of resistance to finally wipe them out. And that, in a nutshell, is the basic story thread of the new Broken Steel DLC. Sure, there are some other new side missions and things to play with, but if you were looking for the latest chapter in an epic sage, this doesn’t exactly feel like it. More like a really great Epilogue. </blockquote>Spotted on GameBanshee.

My impressions so far: the general area between Megaton and Rivet City is a lot more populated now, mostly by water merchants and water bandits. They changed the look of a lot of places and I kind of like that, it is nice to see things are different after traveling the same roads so many times.

Aparently the new patch messes with some mods, people are working on that but in the meantime it mostly means I cant sprint, which means fleeing from danger is barely an option in the meantime.

The enclave main plot bit involves a lot of shooting enclave troopers, which given the extreme armor that the brotherhood and enclave wear and that my main character is mostly non combat well it means I get into a lot of huge firefights that last a little too long. Liberty Prime ended up being exactly what I wanted him to be... kind of a one off solution to the plot instead of a permanent addition to the story.

Supermutant Overlords are pretty cool, but extremely tough. This bugs me a little bit, I hate having to shoot something a thousand times in a FPS and he locked right on to my companion so I had to take him out fast for her not to die.

Mods I use and what they do:

FOOK: adds new wapons and armor. These show up fine, most new foes carry FOOK weapons and ammo. These are a little more deadly, so I get into bad trouble a lot.

Caring and Sharing Companions + Trach: I can recruit anyone as a companion and trade with them (which I dont) and companions dont auto heal after combat. I've had to take good care of my follower (Paladin Cross) because after most firefights she's got every limb crippled, the new encounters are tough.

MMM: tons of new monsters. This does crazy things to the game balance, for example one deathclaw encounter was made messier by a swarm of night ghouls, I got to cripple the deathclaws leg while it fought ghouls but those things where swarming me as well. I also had a gargantuan spawn and wipe some of the brotherhood and rivet city guards near the jefferson memorial. The new version launches foes when it punches them, so it was great to see it send a pack brahmin flying into the ocean.

FDA +: my own needs version of FDA which is still unreleased. I need to make it so that Aqua Pura quenches thirst but otherwise it does not mess with my mod.

All these mods just seem concentrate on "how there are new splozions and bad guys" ... o yeah and they changed the story a bit, anyways you can take the new gunz and blah blah blah...

Its really grating how this has devolved.

Don’t be surprised if you spend close to 7 hours getting every new thing in the expansion. It’s worth the purchase.

Heh. I just spent about 25-30 hours in the NWN2 DLC, Mysteries of Westgate for the same price. And there appears to be quite a lot of replay value in there as well.
Not that Atari treated it particularly well with the enormous delays. But with the content, quality and playtime for the money I spent, it's a bit hard to justify paying for these seemingly rather small DLCs that seems to be the norm for most games today.

Brother None said:
These new toys and the hours of gameplay would be enough to satisfy many and that isn't even getting into the feature that has Fallout 3's hardcore fans so excited.

Who are these "hardcore fans" and what is this feature that excites them so?

Seven hours? Is that how long it takes when you plan to reach level 30?

Personally I see no reason why I should, all weapon skills are already at maximum, and other than increasing the possible encounters with the new enemies I see no reason why to level up further.

In fact, as mentioned before it gave me problems.

And here I had this outrageous idea of not having a level cap. Fancy doing that in a game.

Trithne said:
And here I had this outrageous idea of not having a level cap. Fancy doing that in a game.

But that would.....

But then....

The things.....

NO WAI *Head asplodes*

DexterMorgan said:
Brother None said:
These new toys and the hours of gameplay would be enough to satisfy many and that isn't even getting into the feature that has Fallout 3's hardcore fans so excited.

If by chance you thought that we are considered as hardcore Fallout fans..... Forget it! Since F3 birth we are the glittering gems of hate (aka rational human beings).

DexterMorgan said:
Brother None said:

Probably that you can continue after the main quest and turn your character in an uber-skillzored sob thanks to a lame plot hole/twist ?

gamestar... the mag that gives every hype game 90%?

for the addon... don't know, i dont play that crap anymore. maybe "new vegas" will be a tad better, but its still the same 3d shit anyway...

Back