Fallout 3 Mothership Zeta reviews

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Mothership Zeta has hardly been out a day, but man is it seeing waves of reviews. This round is a bit more positive than the last one, though opinions are still all over the place. IGN 7.<blockquote>Perhaps the most disappointing part of Mothership Zeta is its lack of imagination. The idea of taking players to space as part of an alien abduction is a great start, but the follow through isn't quite here. There was a big opportunity to get creative and push the boundaries. Instead, Mothership Zeta is about as straightforward as they come. </blockquote>Kotaku.<blockquote>As the last of the planned Fallout 3 downloadable content, Mothership Zeta isn't quite the ending I had hoped for. As grand finales go, it's got grand in spades, but is sorely lacking in the finale department. Don't get me wrong here...it's an excellent experience, but it just doesn't deliver the sense of closure I'm looking for in Fallout 3. At the end of your adventure you're back on the surface, a bit older, a bit wiser, a bit better armed, and wanting more. Bethesda has said that taking the level cap past the 30 established in Broken Steel would unbalance the game. Fair enough. If we can go no further, give us a grand finale.</blockquote>Game Revolution B+.<blockquote>Mothership Zeta has various different areas to explore, with some added in without any relation to the main branch of the story, but that contain interesting tidbits to discover, including a handful of cult film references in a particular foul-smelling area. Exploring the ship is a blast, as you never know what you'll find next, and trust me, there's a lot of bizarre crap going on - those aliens are sick, disturbed folks. These guys will come at you in a number of ways, carrying shock batons, ray guns, or even calling in the local security robot, which is a pain in the nether regions to beat, but carries an awesome reward in their innards. The variety of units isn't very high, with them being either invisible-ish, helmet-wearing, or bare-headed spacemen. On the other hand, similar to Point Lookout, the environments are far different than anything you've come across in the Capital Wasteland, with clean and futuristic settings as opposed to the grays and browns you've gotten used to in Washington DC's remains.</blockquote>Edge 6.<blockquote>Design flaws include a bizarre decision to cordon off most of the ship after completion, locking away any unique items you previously overlooked. Much of the game commendably favours stealth players but the rest can feel shambolic. The much-vaunted spacewalk in the souvenir Gemini Spacesuit gets plenty of build-up, and could have been extraordinary had it not been 30 seconds long. And there are a fair few nagging Bethesda-isms in there, too, such as you losing karma for shooting often indistinguishable alien workers.

Of course, this could have been the best of Fallout’s downloads. They all could have. It’s not easy giving consecutive middling scores to these updates because, as DLC goes, they’re more generous, creative and adventurous than most. Released according to a gamer’s schedule rather than a developer’s, each coming mere weeks after the last, they beg for whatever sympathy you can salvage. But in the case of Mothership Zeta, for all the love that’s gone into it, that’s as uncertain an amount as ever.</blockquote>The Hachiko 4/5.<blockquote>The pinball and spaceship scenarios are the best moments for breaking out of the box when it comes to what Bethesda has done so far with Fallout 3 content. The pinball scenario actually happened by accident for me, as the game floods you with aliens and robots at one point, which proved just too much for me. After experimenting around with the ship, however, I saw that if you pressed the right button when the aliens came close enough to the support structures, you could do damage to them and send them flying. The ship-to-ship battle is also fun as you take on the role of a one-man crew. You've got to juggle your energy output from your shields to your laser, fire, run around to repair damage when it happens, plus you're defending your bridge from an onslaught of aliens at the same time. It's hectic, but a blast and one of the best moments out of all the DLC.</blockquote>Gamervision 8.5.<blockquote>We’ve all got our own ideas about what the interior of an alien craft will look like, and Bethesda manages to pay homage to classic sci-fi ideas while making the alien aesthetic completely their own. From the polished metal of the ship’s interior, to the holographic indicators on switches, to the horrifying experimental labs, the developers are able to capture the quintessential essence of the general perception of extra-terrestrial life, and not once did I feel that something didn’t belong. The aliens themselves are stylized versions of the bigheaded green men with almond-shaped eyes that adorned countless sci-fi periodicals during the genre’s height of popularity, but they’re not quite as small as those magazines liked to “report.” Their weaponry is as eye-catching as the ship, and each armament has a wonderfully simplistic, yet advanced look and feel to it.</blockquote>Digital Battle 6.<blockquote>In Mothership Zeta, the player assumes the role of a prisoner on an alien ship. The aliens, apparently with nothing better to do, are kidnapping humans from Earth and using them as experiments. As clichéd as that sounds — well, it is actually quite a cliché (even the aliens are quite familiar; big heads, big eyes etc.). One would’ve expected the great writers and storytellers at Bethesda to come up with something better and more original. Anyways, you must now fight your way through the alien space ship and get back on Earth. You’ll get some help, as you’ll be allied with a few other humans as well. The entire point of the game is to navigate through the massive aline ship (which is quite massive btw), and find your way to the command bridge, where rescue awaits.</blockquote>GameDaily 8.<blockquote>Zeta keeps Fallout's trademark humor intact, with bizarre conversations between fellow abductees, Alien Captive Recordings that add an odd audio history of abductions (except for #2, which features a guy from Flatbush who isn't so happy about his alien probe -- seriously hilarious). </blockquote>Thanks GameBanshee.

I've been keeping the reception for the DLCs up to date on Wikipedia and there really hasn't been much good said about it. The people who like it seem like they have a hard time pinning down what actually makes it good but the criticisms have been pretty far and wide.

Edge said:
On this particular spin of the Fallout bugs roulette wheel, we encountered a script bug so catastrophic that we couldn’t finish the game - we actually had to clip through a doorway and use console commands to bring everything back on track. Early community feedback suggests this is as bad as it gets, but it’s a far from isolated case.
Beth's still having trouble with game breaking bugs and it's nice to see them make reviews again. I'm actually a bit surprised that this one did make the review since it means that they went back and tried to beat the game after beating Mothership Zeta, which seems unusually thorough.

Considering how much Edge beats on them, they gave them a very nice score. The review does not sound like it's for a 6/10 product, more like a 3/10.

"which is a pain in the nether regions to beat, but carries an awesome reward in their innards"

I don't understand, I can't understand, how someone can rate a game based on the imaginary booty their imaginary character gets to pick up after another day of working in the loot mines of boretopia. Does this reward enhance your gameplay? Is it another gun? Are the gobs of goo it shoots of another color than your other guns? Does it affect the way you push V to make things explode at will?

How about making the experience of playing the game rewarding instead of "rewarding" the player with +10dmgomg?

Dead Guy said:
"which is a pain in the nether regions to beat, but carries an awesome reward in their innards"

I don't understand, I can't understand, how someone can rate a game based on the imaginary booty their imaginary character gets to pick up after another day of working in the loot mines of boretopia. Does this reward enhance your gameplay? Is it another gun? Are the gobs of goo it shoots of another color than your other guns? Does it affect the way you push V to make things explode at will?

How about making the experience of playing the game rewarding instead of "rewarding" the player with +10dmgomg?

It is a rewarding game experience. There are hilarious alien captive recordings!!!

actualy they never really had "that" awesome writters to begin with. Frankly it become worse after Morrowind. But even with Morrowind and before that you did not had here some "epic" writting or anything that would I think is worth a award. Dont missunderstand me I am not saying it was plane "bad" (Oblivions and Fallout 3s writting is really bad though), but I just think to get awards or anything similar as writter you really have to throw out something impressive and outsanding.

Dead Guy said:

QFT :clap:

I have to go back and play the classics like Wasteland, Fallout 1, and Arcanum to experience what you say. In those games the 'phat loot' fit right in with the story and wasn't the main focus of the adventure. The Howitzer in Wasteland, Sniper Rifle or Minigun in Fallout 1, and all the custom made weapons and armor in Arcanum to name a few. The experiences were rich and varied, and the loot was just icing on the cake. In this modern era of 'cRPGs' it appears they don't have much cake and seek to stuff us with icing. :shock:

Considering that MMORPGs , group of games that only contents are "phat loot"/grinding tediously are so popular, it shouldnt suprise that people like to do the same without having other people.
Which explains partly why fallout 3 is so popular, people have no standards.

Patton89 said:
Considering that MMORPGs , group of games that only contents are "phat loot"/grinding tediously are so popular, it shouldnt suprise that people like to do the same without having other people.
Which explains partly why fallout 3 is so popular, people have no standards.
True. But at least with MMORPGs you have other people to 'show off' to (if that's your thing). It is silly to have that in a single player game. It gets real old real quick. I guess that is where 'achievements' and 'trophies' come in. More ways to show off to other gamers. :roll:

I need to just build a new gaming rig so I can run the G.E.C.K. and try to make something respectable with the game engine provided.

One would’ve expected the great writers and storytellers at Bethesda to come up with something better and more original.

Fallout 3 has a lot of things, but "great writing" was never there...

It's amazing that this drivel is what counts as great writing these days to game reviewers. These same assholes would have probably labeled something like Planescape Torment as "too wordy".

It's strange, these people seem to just insert random adjectives into their writing. They are about as poor of writers as those at Bethseda who they claim are 'great' writers... which is very untrue.

I played a bit of MZ and it was horrendously boring. I'm not an FPS as it lacks, to me, one of the most important aspects of a good game: substance.

As for loot, that, as well as the terrible story line and funked up mechanics, was what turned me off from the game. I mean, what the hell do you do with this loot? Sell it for caps when there's nothing to buy? Fallout 1 and 2 had more replay as the story was varied, branched, and involving.

Hell, they didn't need DLC in those days. Remember?

Beelzebud said:
One would’ve expected the great writers and storytellers at Bethesda to come up with something better and more original.

It's amazing that this drivel is what counts as great writing these days to game reviewers. These same assholes would have probably labeled something like Planescape Torment as "too wordy".

I think that poor writing and/or lack of creativity spread like a virus all over the entertainment industry, that's why we get tons of shitty sequels, prequels and remakes in the movies, derivative and shallow games on the pc, etc.
People (with decision power over what is made and what not) are afraid of taking risks, supporting original ideas and thinking "outside the box", least they alienate the masses that eat the bullshit they tell them to swallow.
Perhaps when the financial crisis ends it will improve a bit (one can dream...).

eternaut said:
Beelzebud said:

I think that poor writing and/or lack of creativity spread like a virus all over the entertainment industry, that's why we get tons of shitty sequels, prequels and remakes in the movies, derivative and shallow games on the pc, etc.
People (with decision power over what is made and what not) are afraid of taking risks, supporting original ideas and thinking "outside the box", least they alienate the masses that eat the bullshit they tell them to swallow.
Perhaps when the financial crisis ends it will improve a bit (one can dream...).

Or maybe it's being done intentionally to lower people's standards, expectations and IQs by making shit and getting them to accept it as something good and desireable.

As I already expected; mediocre and good ratings for Mothership Zeta.

Brother None said:
</blockquote>GameDaily 8.<blockquote>Zeta keeps Fallout's trademark humor intact, with bizarre conversations between fellow abductees, Alien Captive Recordings that add an odd audio history of abductions (except for #2, which features a guy from Flatbush who isn't so happy about his alien probe -- seriously hilarious). </blockquote>
Ugh, I hate it when they compare FailOut3 to Fallout like this. I haven't cracked a smile once while playing FailOut3, while Fallout 1 & 2 really had their moments.

Brother None said:
</blockquote>GameDaily 8.<blockquote>Zeta keeps Fallout's trademark humor intact, with bizarre conversations between fellow abductees, Alien Captive Recordings that add an odd audio history of abductions (except for #2, which features a guy from Flatbush who isn't so happy about his alien probe -- seriously hilarious). </blockquote>

From that review: "Zeta is still a worthwhile trip for $10 (800 Microsoft Points). It may not be as good of a vacation as Fallout 3: Point Lookout, but there's enough here to keep RPG fans occupied a few more weekends this summer."

The review doesn´t list any examples, not one. It is an empty assertion at the very end.

the interesting thing is that just like Operation Anchorage you have here a DLC that you pay 10 bugs for but have no chance to "return" to it. For example since Anchorace is a simulation would it have been hard to give players the option to "start" it again if they want so ? Of course without the perks and experience from the first time. Same with Motership zeta why cant you return to it once its finished. Not that those DLCs really would have a replay value. But I am just saying people payed money for it afterall.

Back