Fallout 3 nominated for WGA award

Brother None said:
I heard of Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble! before, it didn't sound interesting. I visited the site and the retro-30s style is cool I guess, but other than that, eh.

José Cruz said:
I am playing fallout 3 again, and my impression of its writing is not bad.

Define writing.

The dialogue varies from mediocre to facepalmingly bad. The plot is horrendous. The characterization is spotty.

I had noticed that the term writing was not very defined. A think that the dialogue in the game is not bad, it has some "[intelligence] Ah, so you fight the good fight with your voice, eh?" moments, but the dialogue is generally decent, and good in some parts. It is inferior to the original games, but not much.

The plot is not that bad, the basic idea of a technology that can transform the wasteland into something better is good. It was executed badly: with the technology of purifying water, since water can be purified with dirt. Beth needed to do some research on some interesting technology to make a better plot.

but the dialogue is generally decent, and good in some parts.

Examples please.

HAHA calms down guys! I just said Christian because I didn't saw any naked female human. I didn't found any reference to Judaic-Christian religions.

Dude, I really started to believe that Jesus is a virus! My hopes are gone now...

The sad thing is, Fallout 3 should easily win this award given the other nominees. What a bunch of fickwits. Having the gall to call yourselves writers and then forming a guild to boot. Guilds are so 1300s.

Brother None said:
Fallout 3 is one of five titles nominated for the Writers Guild of America Videogame Writing Award. This is an award exclusive to WGA members and only available for games with specific credits for writing, which is the only way I can explain the bizarre list of nominees: Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3, Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!, Fallout 3, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and Tomb Raider: Underworld.

Thanks Ausir.

Writing credits... pffff. And Braid is the best writing of the year.

Seriously, this I really can't understand.
With the exception of "Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!" which I don't know, none of these games had stories to talk about.
In fact a lot of games recently released have much of a story at all, some reason to keep you busy but nothing that involves plot development and plot twists.

If they want stories in games they should check out adventures as those mostly focus on storytelling.

That doesn't mean RPGs or an action game can't have a good storyline, but again, these are very bad examples.

DHSGiT has some clever writing actually. It's not some mind blowing story, just funny. Idk what their criteria is, but it looks like a really weak pool.

Shouldn't the second STALKER be in here? Or something...

moyogo said:
DHSGiT has some clever writing actually. It's not some mind blowing story, just funny. Idk what their criteria is, but it looks like a really weak pool.

Shouldn't the second STALKER be in here? Or something...
STALKER is not made in America.

Ohh yeah! They choose only american games?

No wonder why the list is such a disgrace.

No offence USAshans! I still love your cars :)

STALKER and GTA IV's developers probably are not WGA members....Maybe the STALKER guys are, but CS doesn't have any credit for writing/screenplay, unless you count "texts"

I don't think The Witcher devs are WGA members either and they were nominated last year.

Ausir said:
I don't think The Witcher devs are WGA members either.

Impossible:
At the time scripts were submitted, the credited game writer(s) must have been or must have applied to become members of the WGA’s Videogame Writers Caucus.

I asked The Witcher lead story designer and they indeed had to join the WGA to apply.

Hell, why not the GECK as they made it up to be?

Dad/James wants to create the GECK as Braun had imagined it, a terraforming device that can turn the wasteland green, not just the tool kit containing seeds, schematics and programs to unlock more Vault manufacturing protocols.

Braun had intended this think to be the device that would recreate a portion of the world from before the War but never made it, or perhaps did make only one.

Dad and the scientists of Rivet City want to continue on the terraform technology, using it to make the region green again and are building a complex that can expand its power so the effect is not localized.

Eden/Augustus on its turn want the GECK and the complex too but modify the technology slightly so that it will kill all 'mutants' who haven't taken shelter when the machine is turned on, only those at the Jefferson memorial, Raven Rock and any Vault would survive.

Back