Fallout 3 remake mod Capital Wasteland is cancelled - surprises nobody!

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
Skywind is holohoax. People are just filling their portfolio to get a job at game industry instead of actually developing Skywind.

Wait, were people actually trying to remake Fallout 3 in Fallout 4's engine? Why?! What would be the point? I mean, even if you liked Fallout 3, the only improvement would be graphical, right? Granted, I've never seen more of Fallout 4 than maybe a total of 30 minutes of gameplay on Youtube, but didn't Bethesda remove basic stuff like skills, traits, karma and skill checks in conversations that Fallout 3 had, and hard code stuff like ALWAYS giving you 4 answers (no more, no less) in conversations? So Fallout 3 in Fallout 4's engine would have been even crappier than the original (which says a lot!).

Moreover, were the modders working on the project actually so stupid as not to even do some basic research on how Bethesda have acted towards other, similar modding projects in the past? Bethesda has never, ever accepted having assets from one of their games being used in mods for another game. This was even the case in mods where the player would have to own both games (and have them installed), e.g. A Tale of Two Wastelands. This is the reason why the people working on recreating Morrowind and Oblivion (again, why would you?) in Skyrim's engine, only use assets they have created themselves, aside from Skyrim's assets.

How could they start working on a project like this, sink (what I would assume is) thousands of man hours into it, and only after two years (or whatever) look into the legalities of the matter? And when they realized they may be on thin ice legally, they actually went out of their way to ask Bethesda for permission, thereby forcing the company to give an official, legal answer? Anyone who even casually has followed the modding scene for Bethesda's games the last 15 years could have told them what answer they'd get.

The whole thing seems so unbelievably dumb, or naïve, that I almost suspect the modders (or at least one of the team leaders) had decided they wanted to abandon the project, but were worried about fan backlash if they just went out and said they were going to stop working on it. I'm guessing the leading people involved have achieved 'Super Great Modder' status at the Nexus, and also gotten lots of donations from hyped up followers during the mod's development. So, being conspiratorially inclined, I'd say that having Bethesda 'forcing' them to stop working on the project might simply have been a clever way to avoid any negative fan reaction...

...but then I remember, these people actually wanted to remake Fallout 3, so they are probably nothing more than well-meaning, talented, hard-working, law-abiding modders (and also very, very stupid and completely lacking in good taste, morals, values, sense of justice, honor, cooking skills and general hygiene).

To be fair AnchorsAway, with all the stuff Fallout New Vegas/Cascadia was adding back in, it could have made Fallout 3 a much better gameplay experience. Add in settlement building for say the abandoned Vaults (which would have to be added by a mod of mod) and you're potentially looking at a good long time.

Plus unlike NV, Fallout 3 has very few good mods you don't want to play without, so it's very little loss there. Me personally, I would have remade the map and just made a sequel to Fallout 3 focused on rebuilding inside DC, taking something like Seward Square and questing to get it cleaned up and inhabited so that it becomes a civilized haven.

Why would you want to remake Fallout 3 in the first place?

Make a good story in the Capital Wasteland if you wish but recreating Fallout 3's story seems super undesirable

Make a good story in the Capital Wasteland if you wish but recreating Fallout 3's story seems super undesirable

I've played Fallout 3 in TTW and let me tell you, even half-assed FPS mechanics improve Fallout 3 immeasurably. Just adding in DT to Supermutants make them scary as hell at low levels, adding crafting even without plants to harvest makes the game more fun. Iron sights that don't require several mods to work, Fallout New Vegas's much-expanded collection of firearms in the spawns, and then PN's tweaks.

There are people who enjoy Fallout 3 's story. I can't understand why, but they do. And Fallout 3 would be a lot more fun to play with Fallout 4's capacities, hell even I would jump back on board if there was a mod to let me renovate the abandoned Vaults with Vault-Tec Workshop. And with the right mods, I'd LOVE to make a settlement out of the little square at Northwest Seneca Station (NE of Arefu) or rebuild Springvale Elementary and turn it into an apartment block, while clearing the rubble of Springvale and building plots with Sim Settlements.

If you're asking why I'd be willing to do that for Fallout 3 but not Fallout 4, the answer is there's a DAMN good reason DC is an overrun shithole in need of rebuilding: it's next to a den of supermutants. Boston OTOH needs to be rebuilt and civilized Vegas style for the same reason Vegas is: it wasn't hit by a SINGLE MOTHERFUCKING BOMB.

I agree. Fallout 3's story was one of the most linear, weakest piece of junk ever. Atleast the DLCs try to be better... kinda...
EDIT: Point Lookout actually succeeded. It succeeded so well that Far Harbor took way too much inspiration and it's just a Fallout 4-themed Point Lookout.

Why the fuck are these kids so lazy they won't get their own voice actors together? It seems bizarre that THAT is the straw that broke the camel's back here.

Why the fuck are these kids so lazy they won't get their own voice actors together? It seems bizarre that THAT is the straw that broke the camel's back here

Because according to the lead developer of this mod, it would be getting rid of the charm of F3. That's literally the fucking reason.

Maybe they knew it would never get done anyway and just dropped out because of a lack of motivation.

It is still going strong. They are going to make their own voice files instead of porting/converting them from FNV.
I didn't know about this mod, I checked the alpha video and it looks pretty nice, like an actual Next Gen Fallout, and they have Nuka cola drinking animations.

Well, sure. But you got to be realistic about these things.

It's unrealistic in the first place honestly. Getting people to hammer away for years on a free project is damn near impossible.

It's unrealistic in the first place honestly. Getting people to hammer away for years on a free project is damn near impossible.
To be honest I also have little faith in that any project to remake previous Fallout games win Fallout 4 engine will ever be complete.

It requires a special motivation, love, time, team management and not have RL interfere too much to see something like this to the end.

To be honest I also have little faith in that any project to remake previous Fallout games win Fallout 4 engine will ever be complete.

It requires a special motivation, love, time, team management and not have RL interfere too much to see something like this to the end.

I estimate (with complex math done by drug addled hamsters) that there is a 70-75 % chance at such a project not being finished or being drastically reduced in scope. Or it will just be mediocre shit.

All Projects to remake an entire game in a new engine are 90% likely to end in failure. Altho that F4NV one looks better than most.

Back