Fallout 3 The Pitt previews

Hey at least we give our reasons, we are not just saying "fallout 3 sux! lolz!"

I had faith in Beth, I was willing to look past first person view and real time combat... I thought they had retained the essentials for a fallout game... Unfortunately, story (and dialogs!), NPC's, and character development were not on the level I expected.

And to be honest I think most people here hate not Beth and FO3 but how people and reviewers can't (or wont) see how serious many of its flaws are.

So Kikomiko, you say there's many games coming up, but I'm sure there's nothing like X-Com, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island II, Star Control II, KOTOR, Planescape... Hmm... perhaps we are just old people going senile and ranting about how in our days things were "different" hehe! Well system shock has Bioshock 2 coming up, theres also half life ep3... Well I suppose there's really many good games coming up, but you can be sure the industry has lost its way... Behold ye heathen developers! For the day of reckoning is nigh! Obsidian shall cleanse you all! Only a few shall be spared!!11

kikomiko said:
Dear Lord, does this negativity that you guys perpetually unleash upon Fallout 3 really have any purpose? If you hate the game so much, why do you pay so much attention to it? Why are you still criticizing it months after its release? There are a plethora of potentially amazing titles on the brink of release; why not focus on them? Wait, let me guess; they're just stupid little console games that have been dumbed down for the kiddies, and you're too high and mighty to even try them out.

Well let's see...

Dragon Age... release pushed back- not sure why... guess EA doesn't want PC owners who also own consoles to grab the PC release instead of the console releases to keep console box sales high.(sounds a bit tin foil hattish, to be sure, but the game- for all intents and purposes, is complete right now)

Mysteries of Westgate Adventure Pack and the 1.22 NWN2 patch... who the hell knows when it'll show up- the adventure pack is only 15 months late thanks to Atari keeping it in limbo, due to a DRM issue. The Ossian lads keep saying "soon". Hopefully soon really means within a couple of weeks this time around.

Dawn of War 2- Not what I wanted- only functions as an RTS if you decide to go multiplayer. Plus... having to have Steam AND Games For Windows Live on my PC AND having to log into an online account just to play a single player game OFFLINE sucks IMO. Took it back after seeing the crap my brother went through to get it up and running.

Hawks might be good- if they listen to the flight sim community and fix camera issues- doubt it though.

Point is there are other games out there that interest me, but they are few and far in between. Like 100LBSofDogmeat mentioned, I find myself dusting off older games more and more these days. The current crop of big name studios really do seem to be fixated on delivering nothing but 10-20 hour, badly-written, graphic-intensive romps for people who have attention spans shorter than the lines of drool hanging from their mouths. That's before you get to the sports titles.

Does that mean we absolutely need to have nothing but 100+ hour long games? Maybe, maybe not. But I'd rather have a few solid 50-100 hour lovingly-made titles that I keep returning to than the piles of 10 hour-long McVideogames that are endlessly churned out, bought, played, and then sent directly back to inhabit the USED shelves at the local Gamestop.

So yeah, it's easy for me to see why the negativity flows as it does where Fallout 3 is concerned. The Fallout series(minus bos and tactics) was one of those beloved series that people keep coming back to. Without opening the can of worms too much here- I'll just state that Fallout 3 is too different from the first two installments in the series for the few points of commonality it shares with them to save it.

Bethesda did what I had previously believed to be impossible. They managed to make a 100 hour(if you do the side quests) McVideogame. Having played it, I don't see myself wanting to return to the DC wasteland anymore. The things I have read and seen about Operation Anchorage, and the The Pitt have done nothing to disabuse me of that notion.

To each his own, I suppose.

MoW is right around the corner now. Finally.

Dragon Age was pushed back because of the fear of loss of sales due to PC piracy, not so much due to PC sales (the margin for PC sales is higher than for console sales). Same reason as Mirror's Edge, also a PC-first title.

kikomiko said:
I guess you're right, it's just that I hate it when people get so worked up over things like this that it's the only thing they can focus on. What I'm saying is that there are so many wonderful and fulfilling games out there (separate of their beloved series', and i'm not saying that in a mocking tone) that you shouldn't just set your mind on one; if the direction a company is charting for a franchise pisses you off, then try something new!

Thank you for simplifying the users on this site to be totally fixated on one game. You're in a topic ABOUT Fallout 3, wondering why people are discussing it in it. If you want to listen to people talk about other games or topics, you should probably try the gaming or general discussion boards.

Really, don't be an idiot.

On topic, the DLC sounds interesting but so did Fallout 3 on paper. Since the mechanics won't change, no thanks.

Lexx said:
Nah, everybody has different hobbys.

But to answer this question:
If you hate the game so much, why do you pay so much attention to it?
Because this is a Fallout website and... Fallout 3 is a Fallout game?
By its name! Dont forget it! By its name only! :mrgreen: :P

Brother None said:
MoW is right around the corner now. Finally.

Dragon Age was pushed back because of the fear of loss of sales due to PC piracy, not so much due to PC sales (the margin for PC sales is higher than for console sales). Same reason as Mirror's Edge, also a PC-first title.

How could a delay save them from piracy? I mean this is not to support anything around it. I am just curious as why that should keep anyone from doing it regardless of when it will be released.

If you want well crafted, involving, and downright wonderful games that will put you into a fun induced coma fire up that old super nintendo

Crni Vuk said:
How could a delay save them from piracy?

It will still be pirated. But the assumption of EA and others is that if they put it out on PC 6 months before console, a lot of people who would have otherwise bought it on console will have already played a pirated copy by the time it comes out and not care again. Not a totally illogical assumption really.

Brother None said:
Crni Vuk said:
How could a delay save them from piracy?

It will still be pirated. But the assumption of EA and others is that if they put it out on PC 6 months before console, a lot of people who would have otherwise bought it on console will have already played a pirated copy by the time it comes out and not care again. Not a totally illogical assumption really.
Well yeah probably. Though if you ask me something they should really do is remove this DRM thing (if they havnt it already) from all their products.

Yeah, DRM is quite stupid. Because, it gets cracked really quickly - usually a matter of hours after release; days for more difficult ones, but the people who get games legitimately are the ones who suffer. I personally don't buy games with "starforce" label on them anymore. My vote is, developers should make better games to get more fans who will buy the games regardless, rather than make crappy stuff that's near impossible to launch even if you did decide to buy it.

Now, I wonder, what's the chance that DA gets leaked before release? =)))

Davis962 said:
If you want well crafted, involving, and downright wonderful games that will put you into a fun induced coma fire up that old super nintendo

Hahaha, man you're so right! Super Mario World is still better than MANY current pc games.

I hate so much DoW II's logging system... really, what were they thinking?!
Why the f*** i need to connect to that piece of crap WL to play alone, in my computer with the game i bought? This is what causes piracy, treating your customers like morons or potential thieves.

Also, don't forget Empire: Total War! It's only a few days off now! The demo was good... but again, they FORCE you to use Steam if you wanted to try it... what nonsense is this?? I really don't understand it...

eternaut said:
Davis962 said:

Hahaha, man you're so right! Super Mario World is still better than MANY current pc games.

One more cheer from me. I still play the shit out of Super Mario World, it's so addictive. Super Nintendo was the last console I truly loved. And the hours I've spent on Zelda Link To The Past, Lufia 2, Breath of Fire 2.. Oh man. My parents wished I'd spend as much time on my homework.

eternaut said:
I hate so much DoW II's logging system... really, what were they thinking?!
Why the f*** i need to connect to that piece of crap WL to play alone, in my computer with the game i bought?
You don't. Create an offline LIVE account to play without ever connecting to the Internet.

Good game, by the way.

Alone the reason to not have Windows Live optional for your game is a reason for my not to by a lot of products and forget the games completely that decide to have it as mandatory in the instalations.

Really, no one should mistaken it. This is not about what ever if Live is really usefull or not, but its about the principle that you hvae no choice in if you want to install it or not.

I sometimes miss the time when every mb of your drive was worth to be saved [Today some games are biger then the drive I had during that time ...] and a lot of games had the option to only install the bare minimum that was needed to play the game, without any of such life-steam-we-track-your-game-behaviour shane-bambe. A the times when games were soemtimes only 100mb big :P

No serously now, it can be very bad if a company is removing any kind of choice for its costumer. Particularly when you try to solve issues. People haev to use mods and stuff they have made by them self to "remove" Live (or similar things) from their legaly bought software, and soon enough I would not be surprised if some companies make even that illegal [hah! They just dare to try that in Germany as that has no meaning since you can almost do what you want with your legaly bought software as long you dont break any copy protection!]. Why make software that you dont need to play teh game in the first place a mandatory? I dont see the reason in that, why not let the "player" decide?

eternaut said:
This is what causes piracy, treating your customers like morons or potential thieves.

This is certainly one cause of piracy, but there are other causes - such as laziness or thrift. Don't forget, World of Goo has been massively pirated and it contains no DRM (to my knowledge, people can clear up if I'm wrong.)

Well, there's definitely other causes. However, by not fucking the customer up, you could avoid unnecessary piracy. Some base level will still exist though.

And honestly, I don't think there's that many examples where piracy screwed up sales so much that the game ended up being a failure for the company even though it was popular. As long as someone else is not making money off it, I don't think it's such a bad thing. If anything, it boosts the popularity of the product. Think about how many people pirated Diablo II, and it's still one of the best-selling games out there. Companies should stop blaming their failures on uncertain external effects.

Not like I'm justifying piracy, but if there's not much you can do about it, there's better solutions than blaming all your troubles on it. Piracy is simply a necessary part of balance between too tight a legislation that disallows any technical progress, and too lax a control that destroys any incentive to invent stuff due to poor property rights. It should be controlled, but not blamed or destroyed. It's not as uniformly evil as some people try to present it.

well in the end all games get pirated and for all sakes no one can trully tell to witch level. Its perfectly understandable when companies want to protect theyre intelectual properties but as ausdoerrt pointed out, if you have a good game it sells. The thing that annoys me most is the blaming of failure of making a profit not because of making and atroshously bad game, but pirating.

moyogo said:
eternaut said:
This is what causes piracy, treating your customers like morons or potential thieves.

This is certainly one cause of piracy, but there are other causes - such as laziness or thrift. Don't forget, World of Goo has been massively pirated and it contains no DRM (to my knowledge, people can clear up if I'm wrong.)

Yeah I agree: piracy existed before DRM. We all remember those codes and questions DOS games had, you needed the manual or you wuoldn't be able to run the game!. It was actually a pretty smart strategy... (No, today it would be a useless strategy.)

Still, I'm pretty sure most of people pirate games they wouldn't have bought anyway.

Ravager69 said:
kikomiko said:
Dear Lord, does this negativity that you guys perpetually unleash upon Fallout 3 really have any purpose?

It *may* help the devs realise their game is seriously flawed and the direction they took in developing the DLC is still bad, so they *may* take a new approach for Fallout 3? It shows them that not all people will swallow every shit they throw at the gamers?

Does your comment have any real purpose?

Plus it makes you feel better doing it. You can't deny it.

Back