Fallout 3: Why the hate?

Nah, I'm a real person. ;) I am not trying to stir anything up, if you had bothered to read my second post. Too busy quoting everything, I guess.

That's my evil plot, see. I lure everyone in with "attacks" directed to their personalities, then while their busy clacking away I throw in debates about the game. (sarcasm, fo coruse, point that out before you all quote me again)

Well, what I want to say is that...I never played Oblivion very long because I don't have a good enough computer to run it (sheepish look) and I can run Morrowind on good days. I'm no stranger to bad graphics; I play older games on a regular basis. But what surprised me about Fallout was just how...ugly everything looked in 2D. Everything didn't really mesh well, with caricatures of character designs, and all that. I think personally that 3D would benefit the series. By the time the game comes out, I plan on having a faster computer so I can enjoy the game, and that's why I have my sights centered for 2008.

As for Kan-Kerai, thank you for talking with me, and your post makes tons of sense. It sheds light on a lot of perspective here. There were two sections, as well that made me pause and think.

"The main problem I have with your post is your seeming belief that your tastes override those held by anyone else."

This is not me thinking I'm better than you, this is me holding my opinion up to yours and perhaps getting more out of Fallout as I'm playing it again (which I am enjoying much more than the first time I tried it).

"I would argue that just as much immersion is possible from reading well-written descriptive text, the image it creates in your mind as from viewing and walking around in a well-rendered First-person landscape. "

I'll throw it out there to say that this is absolutely true. I mean, when I'm done reading a book or something, I feel as if I'm getting back to my own life, perhaps. Fallout doesn't quite have that for me, but of course I haven't nearly played it as much as you guys have. It comes down to the fact that I am an auditorial person, so a visual interpretation makes things easier on my brain. But hey, I used Nethack in my post, that's a good example. That game has no graphics, and yet I still play it. ;)

EDITED IN ANOTHER ONE: "The disdain they've been trying to convey toward the previous Fallout games. How they're "primitive", "unplayable", and "ultimately deeply disappointing". How the gaming media parrots exactly the same thing, while at the same time expressing "how much they love Fallout"."

I could probably try and guess which publication said that, but I'd be laughing too hard. Now I understand why you distrust and hate the media...that's pretty thick. Especially for Bethesda, who I have nothing but enjoyment from Morrowind for.

As for the other posts, they're mostly filled with quotes and stuff, and so I didn't read them. Hopefully you'll at least try and talk about the game with me instead of yelling "TROLL" like it's some mantra. Ah, well, at least I got one really great post out of this thread. (EDIT: I read them now, and I'm not any better for it. Exactly what I expected.)

Iendicis said:
As for the other posts, they're mostly filled with quotes and stuff, and so I didn't read them. Hopefully you'll at least try and talk about the game with me instead of yelling "TROLL" like it's some mantra. Ah, well, at least I got one really great post out of this thread.
Pathetic, really pathetic.

with caricatures of character designs

Are you talking about the Vault-Boy drawings that appear on skills, traits and so on?
Because I'd have to agree on that, man. They're so childish and without any art to them, man.

Iendicis said:
As for the other posts, they're mostly filled with quotes and stuff, and so I didn't read them. Hopefully you'll at least try and talk about the game with me instead of yelling "TROLL" like it's some mantra. Ah, well, at least I got one really great post out of this thread.
Ah yes, because every post filled with quotes must of course be a post insulting you.
What? Take the time to at least read what people say to you instead of just brushing everything off and then going 'I hope you're not just insulting me'.

And! (Because I was interrupted in my edits)

"Not another "me-too" game that everyone forgets about within a few days to weeks in anticipation of "The Next Big Thing"."

That's why I play Introversion games. ;) Darwinia, DEFCON, and Uplink were fantastic. Not RPG's of course, but good enough strategy games for anyone to look at.

I like to fallow the indie games, because that's where all the potential Fallouts are. People can make a game in their basement that's unusually good, sell it on the internet for fifteen dollars a download, and then people have a cult classic waiting in the ruins.

But the problem is with the industry these days. Look at Okami, and how badly it did. The death of Clover Studios rings a sad bell at everyone: you MUST be with the times, meet those expectations that everyone has of games: cinematic quality, movie-level voice acting, stunning graphics, infinite replay value...the stakes are getting high. Bethesda, with the expectations made by Oblivion, are under enormous pressure to make the game work, becuase they have a whole spectrum of gamers to please. Can they please everyone? Not at all. I enjoyed their games, but they weren't amazing to the point that I think they could pull it off.

So who's going to get the cuff? The Fallout fans (meaning us) who want the game to be at least somewhat memorial of the old gameplay, the Oblivion fans who want more action-RPG than RPG-part-action, or the people who are living on the edge of gaming trends who will be finishing up Crysis and Bioshock when this baby hits stores. It just can't satisfy everyone, now can it?

Maybe it can. Maybe it can't. But I'm not going to whine abotu it.

FeelTheRads said:
with caricatures of character designs

Are you talking about the Vault-Boy drawings that appear on skills, traits and so on?
Because I'd have to agree on that, man. They're so childish and without any art to them, man.
I'm talking about the beginning of the game, at character selection (or any time, really, when there is a 2D character shown). Everybody's kind of scary looking.

And I did read parts of the posts before shrugging them off, to the other people, whoever you are. I'm just not bothering to reply to them, because they don't care one way or another about what I have to say. If that's the case, just go away and leave me with the people who do want to chat. ;)

You really are not consistent in what you're saying. Now you're saying you can't play more than five hours of Fallout and then you claim to be a fan who wants the old gameplay.

And your signature... if that's not a flame-bait, then I don't know what is.

Also, in case you didn't notice I was sarcastic in my previous post. Either way, I guess you were actually talking about the character portraits (you know, the whole game is 2D). Heh, even more funny. Because the portraits in Oblivion look horrendous. And looks like the ones in Fallout 3 won't be much better.

FeelTheRads said:
You really are not consistent in what you're saying. Now you're saying you can't play more than five hours of Fallout and then you claim to be a fan who wants the old gameplay.

And your signature... if that's not a flame-bait, then I don't know what is.

Also, in case you didn't notice I was sarcastic in my previous post. Either way, I guess you were actually talking about the character portraits (you know, the whole game is 2D). Heh, even more funny. Because the portraits in Oblivion look horrendous. And looks like the ones in Fallout 3 won't be much better.
I'll quote myself earlier, if it will make much of a difference to you all.

"This is not me thinking I'm better than you, this is me holding my opinion up to yours and perhaps getting more out of Fallout as I'm playing it again (which I am enjoying much more than the first time I tried it)."

Yup, I played it last night, and I'm understanding the viewpoints that I'm getting. I am enjoying the game. I'm not completely into it, but I didn't play enough yet. ;)

I still think that everyone looks ugly, though. Sarcasm doesn't work too well with printed text, I understand. (And I'm not talking about the game's face graphics, those are perfectly fine.)

What do you mean by playing Fallout for 5 hours?
Playing Fallout for 5 hours without pause?

Sorrow said:
What do you mean by playing Fallout for 5 hours?
Playing Fallout for 5 hours without pause?
Basically. I usually play games in huge chunks, but I can't concentrate on that game long enough. I do keep it around, though, for when I do enjoy it (like last night). Other games I play right through (like beating Half-Life in one sitting, stuff like that). I'll play the game for five hours, then leave it sitting around for a week or two, then play it again.

Well, the first time I played it (very first, several years ago) I didn't really give it much of a chance. I'm glad I kept the game around, though.

Yeah, you guys think I'm flipflopping...well, actually, no, I'm just becoming enlightened. "In the ways of the the Fallout" as you might say. It's hard to get into Fallout unless you approach it the right way.

Okay, as I look around, there are some things that I don't want Bethesda to mess with:

-that good and evil thing from Bioware's games (annoyingly separated from each other)
-the turn based combat's roots (as long as there are echoes of it)
-the story and its non-linearity (sorta like Deus Ex, perhaps...but even more non-linear)-The good writing

What I do want them to mess around with:

-The humor
-The 50's vibe
-The graphics
-The character designs
-The very sharp opening complexity (give it to me a little at a time)

Unless anybody else has something else to add, I'm done with this thread. I'll go browse the news board now, and probably never post here again. ;) I got my questions answered.

This is not sarcasm when I say: thank you very much for showing me Fallout.

How many of you are going to buy FO3 anyway?

If you seriously want a good FO game...it will not happen this decade...

If you buy FO3, then you are just as stupid as those asses playing FPS.

Maximous said:
How many of you are going to buy FO3 anyway?

If you seriously want a good FO game...it will not happen this decade...

If you buy FO3, then you are just as stupid as those asses playing FPS.
Well, I like FPS games, so there you go. I like action and tactical online gameplay with some friends I know and enjoy playing with. I also like Fallout and RPG games.

I'll buy it if I have a computer for it. Even if it isn't a Fallout game true and true, I still think that game game itself, removed from the Fallout franchise, is a worthy concept.

I'm more interested in Bioshock, though. I loved System Shock 2.

Iendicis said:

-The 50's vibe

I realize this is just an opinion thing, but isn't the 50's vibe what separates fallout artistically from any other random post apocalyptic game? Why would you want that changed? If that is something you don't like about the game, there ARE other post apocalyptic games out there that AREN'T 50's-ish that you could play, instead of asking Bethsoft to change the unique artistic trait of one people loved.

xdarkyrex said:
Iendicis said:

-The 50's vibe

I realize this is just an opinion thing, but isn't the 50's vibe what separates fallout artistically from any other random post apocalyptic game? Why would you want that changed? If that is something you don't like about the game, there ARE other post apocalyptic games out there that AREN'T 50's-ish that you could play, instead of asking Bethsoft to change the unique artistic trait of one people loved.
"Mess around with" being, in this case, "bring out and make even more a parody of," then yes, that's what I want. I think it's funny and enjoyable.

Anyway, thanks to all who posted, I realize that yes, I was wrong, and that this forum is a lost cause for me at this point, because I am facing closed ears. So I retire to reading and laughing, until I have to edit and post some more to laugh some more.

Being "wrong" does not make someone an "idiot".

Those who do not learn from their mistakes are "idiots".

Recognizing mistakes, taking steps to rectify them, and admitting one is "wrong" in public (well, relatively) does not add up to "idiocy" in my book. It adds up to a human being, making human mistakes.

Is that "wrong"?

Stag said:
What a puss.
No.

No, he's leaving. He's being a puss. He chose to enter this community, knowing full well how he would be reacted to, and he couldn't take it. He's a puss.

Stag said:
No, he's leaving. He's being a puss. He chose to enter this community, knowing full well how he would be reacted to, and he couldn't take it. He's a puss.

So you're saying you want me to stick around? Do you miss me? Awww, that's so sweet.

What you must know is there is a difference between being beat and getting your questions answered. I got the latter, because I see that you probably can't understand what I'm talking about.

Sorry, but unfortunately I'm leaving just because I realize that I am not hardcore enough for the board. I was also wrong in my assumption of the people here. I did learn from here, and what? Well, what Fallout is supposed to be.

Damn, this is turning into a Disney movie. See you all later, posers. At least I'm dropping down before I turn into this guy, http://boards.1up.com/zd/board/mess...read.id=1269177&view=by_date_ascending&page=1 (the best thread in existence). I might still post, like in this instance. Whatever. :P

EDIT: Ban me? I thought you were my friends...*cries* Come on, dude, I don't really care. Just don't ban my IP address, at least. I want to still read the news.

Back