Fallout 4 does not make sense

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
Rock Paper Shotgun shared something with us today which talks about skeletons and ruin still being present 200 years after the Great War. A short segment can be found below.

So I’m wandering through Fallout 4 , and I come across this old diner, sitting there, neon still lit, almost jaunty in a destroyed land. There’s a guy outside called Wolfgang, a leathered drug dealer, who explains that a mother and son have set up a shop in this diner, and that he wants paying for goods he’s sold to the son.

I go inside, aiming to resolve the problem between the dealer and the son, and get into conversation with the mother. But, looking down, I notice that, despite trading from this place, she hasn’t thought to remove a skeleton from one of the booths. Because why would you remove a skeleton from your shop? Or any of the filth that’s accumulated on the floor?

It’s just one of the weird little things about the world of Fallout 4 that I find confusing and alienating. Little things that nudge me out out my suspension of disbelief that this is a place. Instead of enveloping myself in all its detail, it just gets me wondering, absently, is this how it would be?

The neglected skeleton reminded me of the time I visited Fallout 3’s Three Dog. He’d presumably been broadcasting his radio station from his bunker for a good while, having apparently established it in 2272, five years beforehand, but for some reason his rooms were filled with rubbish and broken filing cabinets. Why wouldn’t he have cleaned up a little? He tapes his broadcasts; the guy had time.

If something didn't make sense to Bethesda, they probably said "the Institute did it" and moved on. That's my point in a nutshell.

See how it explains literally everything - the Railroad's existence, the Brotherhood's arrival, and the release of the FEV plus their surface operations, which leaves the Commonwealth a ruin for raiders and Gunners to pick up. Gunners consolidate their power, and take out the Minutemen, leaving Garvey's group the way you found it. They also kidnap your child and release you from the Vault. An attack on Diamond City was made in the 2100s by Super Mutants and their paranoia was fueled by an Institute infiltration exposed.

Literally everything in the game is connected to the Institute, one way or another. They didn't bother to create a world first and then lay a threat to it, like with the Unity or the Enclave, or even the Legion. They started with the Institute and went from there. It's laziness in writing, is it not?

So there is logic. But it's stupid logic, so it's by no means an excuse.

"The Institute did it."

Dude from Fallout 3 and forward, from when they started with their fancy 3D, I really think Fallout games will be crap. Really.
Like in Fallout 3, you go to Megaton, and that stupid Moriarty asks you for 300 or 100 caps to tell you to to go to D.C. to Galaxy News Radio. Dude I said: "OK I'll bring you the caps, sucker." After I had like 1000 caps I simply didn't feel like giving him my money that I made by stealing from a shopkeeper the selling him his own stuff without him noticing. And I went to Megaton, but just to find out that I can simply look into his wardrobe for the password, then read the 3 paragraphs he wrote about my father(or simply activate them to continue the quest, I saw the story 2 times from my bigger bro). The thing just looses it's sparks. Why, I am asking, why does every character ask you to do a fucking stupid quest just to give you some cretin nonesense that throws you to the other fucking quest and you finally find you father in a simulation transformed in a dog and controled by an evil girl-o-man overseer?! Then you exit the simulation by using a secret code and calling the Japanese army?! And then you father gets up and tells you: (little exitment)Thanks!(neutral) I am so happy to see you!(serious) We must leave and(DO A FUCKNG QUEST) to (A FUCKING REASON). You can answer: 1. Sure dad let's go: 2. Really?; 3. What the fuck dad?! Number 3 is the only one that makes sense.

So please Bethesda, if you are going to make Fallout 5... don't fucking mess up like those 2 last junks!

Well Boston wouldn't be such a hell hole if the people in Boston weren't so bored out of their minds as to do things like saving robots and knew how to rebuild like using wood from trees and picking the skeletons littered all over the place.

Boston's a hellhole because the Institute sends armies to wipe out the biggest settlements because they want one pre-war tech part one of those settlers has. See University Point for proof. They accidentally release a new strain of FEV and would wipe out entire areas to get one synth back. The raiders fill up the ruins of their work, and so it stays a hellhole. This is why you see no progress in anything.

I tend to think that all the debris and destruction wasn't only the Great War, but also the Institute. Of course, it's also laziness to create a faction who can teleport anywhere, destroy whole towns on a whim, and have accidents with aftermaths that lasts a century. but can easily be defeated by the player, so there's that.

It's like that kid who plays with other kids and says his favourite toy can beat everyone else's and that it's unfair if you say it can't. This is literally the Institute.

There's power armor lying around everywhere and yet the people of places like Diamond Shitty don't bother making off with them and instead sit around doing bugger all. You could say that about all those weapons in abandoned prewar safes and other containers lying around unopened. Yes I know the Institute is too incompetent to do anything right including wiping their asses I'm sure.

I just don't believe Boston could look like this after 200 years with no hint of progress besides Diamond Shitty while people trip over dusty skeletons to get to a diner table to eat next to another dusty skeleton.
Lets not for get some places even have super mutants next door to feral ghouls and raiders yet no one has killed each other.
Sorry if I come off as a dick but this is your everyday theme park with wacky things going on that shouldn't make any sense logically.

Considering how easily they brake apart, what would you do with them? Surely not build anything out of it! Vault suits! Those must be awesome material, not breaking apart even after 200 years and heavy abuse trough guns, plasma, explosions and robot sex.

Dude, I can't wait for Fallout 4 to come in Romania, but just to laugh at myself when I suddenly realize... IT WASN'T WORTH IT:whatever:

I personally don't mind the ability to use Moriarty's terminal to find out where dad went since it's more of a way to get around the job Moriarty gives you, kinda like using the terminal to find out where the Khans went in NV so you could bypass Come Fly With Me. I usually do the quest anyway since using the terminal to know where to go is too quick, easy and isn't fun though that's just me personally.

FYI, it's the Chinese Army, not Japanese Army that show up.

Well, my dear man, I don't really, quite, even a little enjoy running around and do bussiness for a goddamn ghoul racist who's skin is orange although every other single NPC I met so far had yellowish, light brown or dark brown skin. Not including ghoulswho don't have skin or the mutants.:eyebrow:

HELLO GUESTS IF YOU CAN HEAR ME I KNOW YOU ARE UP THERE!!!!!!!!!

Dude OMG did I just scare a guest of this forum :o. I am a total creepo.

A big prophet once said:"Go to hell, God"

That's life, not all people agreed with that sun-burnt racist thief.:seriouslyno:

*merged quadruple post*

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished the Institute's questline today and I honestly still have no idea what the Institute (or me, as uh, Director?) is/was trying to achieve. Fixing reactor? Okay I get that, sort of. Kill pretty much everyone? Yeah well, no persuasion options so I guess this is about security and stuff or whatever. So now we have human-looking robots/robot gorillas/robot kids (that won't age anyway so WTF)/robot-looking robots being mass produced without opposition to do.. what??

The end slides did not clarify anything for me.. Did I miss something here? Because I am honestly still missing the whole point of the Institute just dweebing around "for teh lelz".
Maybe this is better explained post-ending but I haven't started FO4 afterwards.

chew_beth.jpg

If you have played any of the Fallout games, they are all the same way. That's just the way it is. Fallout 4 is only going to be real fun for those that have kept up with the whole series.

Those are the Yipyipyip aliens from Sesame Street. They don't really understand how things work.
Nor does Bethesda when it comes to Fallout...or logic.

I was replying to said person that said that people who kept up with the series will have fun with Fallout 4 and that if you played all the Fallout games they're all the same way which people who truly understand the series would know that's total nonsense when 3 and 4 are nothing like 1, 2, and New Vegas.

Anyways I'm curious how an old torn 200 year old outfit like army fatigues can give you +1 Strength and +1 Agility, because if I put on fatigues in real life I suddenly feel stronger.

I really wonder if Bethesda regrets blacklisting Kotaku, since as far as I've seen they've been as hard on Fallout 4 as any AAA hit except possibly Destiny (which really had it coming to be fair.)

I mean, not that I doubt the sincerity of their writers, since Patricia Hernandez is someone who loves Fallout 2 as much as anyone, and she'd probably fit in really well here if she cared to participate, but "we need to protect our relationship with Bethesda" might have otherwise made them soften some of their criticisms that now they don't have any reason to. If anything "pulling no punches" on legitimate criticism might convince Bethesda to want to play ball.

It's pretty ironic that the "ethics in games journalism" crowd singled out Kotaku way back when as one of the bad guys, when they've been anything but a de facto marketing arm of a ginormous publisher (unlike, say, IGN or whomever.) I mean, Gawker as a whole is pretty awful, don't get me wrong, but not every part of it need be.

Back