Fallout 4 goes Skyrim with infinite re-releases

I mean passable as a Triple A first person shooter, that's a really high bar that no game with a progression system has never pulled off as far as I know; for example, I would not call Borderlands combat "passable". "Passable" FPS combat is like Halo Reach (worst in the series imo), Call of Duty WW2, etc.

Having "passable" action/FPS combat in a Bethesda IP is an AMAZING achievement.
So we’re on a retard, special needs classroom scale. Got it.

So we’re on a retard, special needs classroom scale. Got it.

I mean, if you think that the majority of gamers (which at this point is a large portion of the population) are "retards" because they enjoy first person shooters in general, that speaks more on your own arrogance than anything else man.

That's the type of statement people only make on the internet. You probably have friends or at least acquaintances who enjoy first person shooters. You're just being a jerk, for lack of a better term.

I mean, if you think that the majority of gamers (which at this point is a large portion of the population) are "retards" because they enjoy first person shooters in general, that speaks more on your own arrogance than anything else man.

That's the type of statement people only make on the internet. You probably have friends or at least acquaintances who enjoy first person shooters. You're just being a jerk, for lack of a better term.
I never once called people who enjoy FPS retards. (Nice try, though, but all it does is betray your own lack of reading comprehension skills here.) What I have been saying (reread my posts and my genuine question) is that if Bethesda, or any company, makes a mediocre FPS but because it’s Bethesda that did it’s a “MASSIVE” improvement, then that company is like the retarded child getting a trophy simply for being on the team.

And I don’t even hate Bethesda games. Your statement that Bethesda’s combat made a “massive leap forward” is calling Bethesda retarded. You, sir, called Bethesda retarded. “Wow, look at what they were able to accomplish! It’s miles behind the rest of the AAA companies, but for them and their stunted development, their combat system drawn out in crayons deserves to be put on the fridge. Bless their little heart!”

Last edited:
I’m not calling people who enjoy FPS retards. I play FPS, the majority of people do. What I’m saying (reread my posts and genuine question) that if Bethesda, or any company, makes a mediocre FPS but because Bethesda did it’s a “MASSIVE” improvement, then that company is like the retarded child getting a trophy simply for being on the team.

And I don’t even hate Bethesda games. Your statement that Bethesda You, sir, called Bethesda retarded because “Wow, look at what they were able to accomplish! It’s miles behind the rest of the AAA companies, but for them their combat system drawn out in crayons deserves to be put on the fridge. Bless their little heart!”

So when games are being made, studios have to allot resources to certain aspects. This is why there isn't a massive multiplayer open world RPG with FPS/Action combat, dialogue trees, fully interactive environments with Havok physics, interior cells, etc.

Bethesda achieved merging the FPS genre with an Open World and Immersive Sim/Roleplaying elements. It's never been done before or since, and the only reason they were able to do it is the way that they have slowly built upon Gamebryo/The Creation Engine. This is why no other studio can copy Bethesda, even though successfully doing so would yield hundreds of millions of dollars; it would take at least a decade to build something like Creation Engine from scratch. This is the big advantage Bethesda has.

To be clear, I have no qualms with the Gamebryo engine —nor with Bethesda's customized version of it. It has its faults, and strengths. I have no qualms with their Elder Scrolls series. My —only— issue with Bethesda is their abuse of the Fallout IP.

There are games that I would love to see Bethesda work on, but Fallout games will never be among them. I would buy collector's editions of Bethesda titles based upon any Palladium Books RPG. I would buy a 'Lands Of Lore 4' by Bethesda...
I would not by a Myth 4 by Bethesda.

Last edited:
no game can have any dialogue of length without "taking control away from the player"
Pretty much, yeah. If my only interaction in those segments is pressing a single button to make it move along, i really don't have any control, do i?

You know what gives the player control in those segments? Dialogue choices with consequences, which Bethesda games have next to none. At least with these i can make conscious decisions that could influence future events, unlike in Bethesda games where there's next to no choice and consequences.

My point is that Bethesda games do take control away from the player plenty of times in their games and they do try to be cinematic. Bethesda just does a piss poor job with the latter.

Last edited:
It's never been done before or since, and the only reason they were able to do it is the way that they have slowly built upon Gamebryo/The Creation Engine.
You're telling on yourself here, I'm beggin you. Play another game. Deus Ex. Minecraft. Anything.

You're telling on yourself here, I'm beggin you. Play another game. Deus Ex. Minecraft. Anything.

I literally have Mankind Divided installed, plus Divinity 2, Fallout 1/2, Dishonored, Disco Elysium, Knights of the Old Republic... I've owned and played pretty much every important game that's come out.

Norzan, in Fallout 3 there is good writing and dialogue trees, and in Fallout 4 there is bad writing and dialogue trees, so there goes your whole argument. And in any case as I said, I'm referring to cut scenes and/or expressive dialogue not controlled by the player; in Skyrim they achieve this instead by making the player character a total blank slate, letting us use our imaginations to fill in the blanks, which is really effective actually.

And Gizmo, I also understand that you miss CRPG Fallout. Frankly, Fallout 1 is my favorite game in the series as well... but honestly, it isn't like if Obsidian magically had the rights to Fallout back, everything would be okay again and you would get the Fallout game you want.

Fallout 2 came out in 1998... Bethesda bought Fallout from Interplay in 2007!!! They had 10 years to do anything substantial with the franchise and they refused! Bethesda didn't take a thriving, fruitful Fallout franchise, neuter it, and then mold it to their liking! They took the dessicated corpse of Fallout and made a good, albeit diffeent game out of it, and STILL let Interplay license it for one game, and Obsidian just decided to make a game on THEIR engine, just like they did with KOTOR 2! They had the LICENSE! They could have made the Fallout 3 YOU wanted and they DIDN'T. And it sounds like right now, Bethesda WANTS Obsidian to make another Fallout game while we wait for Fallout 5, but they're "too busy"!!!

https://www.windowscentral.com/gaming/xboxs-obsidian-wants-to-return-to-the-fallout-franchise

Bethesda has given Obsidian the chance to make the Fallout you want... twice, and as of yet, they haven't delivered.

Bethesda didn't take a thriving, fruitful Fallout franchise, neuter it, and then mold it to their liking!
Oh yes they did; that's exactly what they did. They bought it, and skinned the hide from it to drape minor trappings of the IP over their TES game template, to resell their game with a new world setting. That's it; TES with gunz.

They overmatched Troika in what they could pay for the IP. Troika had been working on this:

*Music by Brian Eno

...and by the looks of it, this was a project that [by design] could be quickly converted to a Fallout sequel if the rights became available to them.

Last edited:
Oh yes they did; that's exactly what they did. They bought it, and skinned the hide from it to drape minor trappings of the IP over their TES game template, to resell their game with a new world setting. That's it; TES with gunz.

They overmatched Troika in what they could pay for the IP. Troika had been working on this:

*Music by Brian Eno

...and by the looks of it, this was a project that [by design] could be quickly converted to a Fallout sequel if the rights became available to them.

Troika could have just released that title on their own! And if their writing was good as well as their game mechanics the game would have been just as good. And you're ignoring the fact that Bethesda instantly licensed Fallout to Interplay when they bought the series in 2007, which gave them 3 years to FINISH the Fallout 3 game they already had in production and launch that instead of New Vegas!

And even NOW, Obsidian can make the Fallout game you want them to, and they might still, but it seems that they just want to develop different IPs right now dude.If you're upset over anything, it should be Obsidian choosing to develop Outer Worlds instead of Fallout.

And you're ignoring the fact that Bethesda instantly licensed Fallout to Interplay when they bought the series in 2007
Where was it ignored? Where is it even relevant? Interplay is not Troika.

If you're upset over anything, it should be Obsidian choosing to develop Outer Worlds instead of Fallout.
Obsidian should make whatever they want.

Last edited:
Where was it ignored? Where is it even relevant? Interplay is not Troika.

Okay so let me get this straight, you're mad at Bethesda, no because they prevented Interplay/Obsidian from making a Fallout game, but instead you're mad because they prevented TROIKA from making one? Like yeah Vampire the Masquerade was good, but if they couldn't go on to release a game from the demo you showed me under their own IP, whatever they were working on likely wasn't going to work out anyways.

Didn't Troika make like literally three games ever? How were they even going to buy Fallout and then have the money to properly finish the game?

I literally have Mankind Divided installed....
Jesus Christ dude how old are you? Thats like responding to someone asking if youve played fallout and being like "I'm playing Fallout Shelter right now I don't see what the big deal is"

Didn't Troika make like literally three games ever? How were they even going to buy Fallout and then have the money to properly finish the game?

They were never planning to buy the IP by themselves, they wanted to find a publisher to fund the purchase of the IP and development game but they couldn't. That demo was made and used to pitch the game to publishers.

...but instead you're mad because they prevented TROIKA from making one?
No. I am irked that they bought the IP while having zero respect (for it and its fanbase), aside from what they could minimally strip out of it for dressing up their frankenshooter. Also (by doing the above) preventing —anyone— with an interest in creating a proper Fallout title from being able to do so.

No. I am irked that they bought the IP while having zero respect (for it and its fanbase), aside from what they could minimally strip out of it for dressing up their frankenshooter. Also (by doing the above) preventing —anyone— with an interest in creating a proper Fallout title from being able to do so.

Yeah, except for OBSIDIAN/INTERPLAY, THE ORIGINAL F**KING DEVELOPER.
Troika's game never even existed! They would have folded regardless! Bethesda wants Obsidian to make the game you want, and they won't!

And plus Wasteland 2/3 exist, and you aren't happy with those either.

The reason the Fallout 3 you want wasn't made is due to ineptitude/unwillingness on the part of studios aside from Bethesda. And you're just resentful that they turned the series into something else in their releases, even though they've still been willing to license the title out to Obsidian in case they want to actually make the game you want.

They were never planning to buy the IP by themselves, they wanted to find a publisher to fund the purchase of the IP and development game but they couldn't. That demo was made and used to pitch the game to publishers.

What publisher in their right mind would have put up enough money for an unproven studio to buy Fallout in order to make a CRPG in 2007? And even if they did, chances are the game would have been broken anyways. They couldn't even get the frames to stabilize in their demo with the shaders on, and that's their pitch? A single screen with infinite blackness at all sides? How does that give you any confidence?

Troika released their last game in like 2004! Fallout was sold to Bethesda in 2007! What were they doing for those three years!?

Plus a major reason Interplay sold to Bethesda is because Bethesda still allowed Obsidian to make a Fallout game after the sale! You guys are just being unreasonable. Bethesda didn't prevent the game you guys wanted from coming out. It wouldn't have come out anyways.

Y'all are just resentful that Fallout 3/4 and New Vegas even exist, apparently, regardless of their own merits, solely based on the fact that they run on the Gamebryo/Creation engine.

Yeah, except for OBSIDIAN/INTERPLAY, THE ORIGINAL F**KING DEVELOPER.
Troika's game never even existed! They would have folded regardless! Bethesda wants Obsidian to make the game you want, and they won't!
What's yer point?

And plus Wasteland 2/3 exist, and you aren't happy with those either.
And you know this how, exactly? (a guess?)

It's true, make no mistake. InXile completely ignored the core of Wasteland and Bard's Tale as well. They created a decent Fallout Tactics clone, instead of a recognizable Wasteland game. They went way off with their Bard's Tale 4; outclassed by Krome's remaster of BT 1, 2 & 3. InXile should have used Krome's Unity project as a basis for BT4, or in the very least as a touchstone to shape the sequel. It's nothing like anything in the Bard's Tale series. It's basically a Frayed Knights clone using Unreal.

bt-frayed_3.gif

...you're just resentful that they turned the series into something else...
Well that's just it, it's disingenuous exploitation of the established name; it's like marketing Nutella as improved Vegemite, where the "improvement" is discarding the yeast and salt.

Last edited:
What's yer point?

And you know this how, exactly? (a guess?)

Well that's just it, it's disingenuous exploitation of the established name; it's like marketing Nutella as improved Vegemite, where the "improvement" is discarding the yeast and salt.

If you're happy with Wasteland 2/3, then you wouldn't still be salty about Fallout. And like I said, Bethesda has left it up to Obsidian to make whatever Fallout game they want, so direct all of you ire towards them.

Fallout 3/4/New Vegas are good games, games that have changed the landscape of video games as a whole, and we're better of having them exist. The alternative, as I have demonstrated, would have been nothing, or a bad game that is a CRPG.

Anyways, I think we've all made our points, anything past this would just be redundant.

Back