Fallout 4 review roundup #2

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Kilus, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Slippy sloppy, The

Sep 11, 2010
    So should we really be poking fun at what others define as RPG's then? Aren't we just a bunch of hypocritical assholes if we do that to what they like but we're so liberal with the label for games we happen to have a bias for?

2. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    We all agree Fallout 4 isn't an RPG so I don't think it's hypocritical. It falls outside what most of us considers an RPG.

Also, re:Diablo, stats still matter on the capabilities of your character. In Fallout 4 they do not (with a few exceptions like carry weight). It just makes certain perks available to you and none of those perks are things that apply to character progression. They're just unlocks, like a skill tree in Borderlands, which I also don't consider an RPG. *shrug*

3. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Slippy sloppy, The

Sep 11, 2010
    1. I agree, Fallout 4 is not what I'd consider an RPG either. That's not really the point I was trying to make in my previous posts though. [edit: Honestly, in retrospect I don't even know what point I was trying to make. I had something, I was passionate and my fingers just went around the keyboard. Now that I look back on it I'm kind of like "...But what am I 'really' trying to say here?". A commentary on the futility of the opinion bickering that comes with the label of RPG's perhaps? I dunno.]

2. I agree, they do matter more on the capabilities of the character. It's just not enough for me to consider it an RPG. (I have a bias against that kind of stat-building. If my big beefy barbarian starts with 30 in Strength and by the end of the game he has 300 Strength then shouldn't he be a giant blob of muscle just rolling around? I mean, we're talking about 100x more strength. That strength can't come from nowhere, and that Barbarian was beefy enough at 30 so increase his strength a 100 times more? Either he's an animé character or he'd be a giant blob of muscle. I like clear defined limits. I'd play an RPG where you're just a giant house-sized blob of vein-y muscle rolling around though.)

They blow up Raven Rock too.
    And you have to missile the hell out of Crawler for Lyons Brotherhood, which they don't bat an eyebrow to.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  4. Gustav Kuriga

Gustav Kuriga First time out of the vault

Dec 5, 2015

5. Askorti

Askorti HATE NEWSPAPERS

Jun 30, 2015
    The BoS had absolutely no hand in blowing up the Oil Rig though...

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  6. Jabberwok

Jabberwok Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Jun 7, 2008
    Diablo 1 and 2 are ARPGs, which is very different. Diablo 3 is an arcade game. But yes, still fun. Except for the story VA. Blech.

7. Jabberwok

Jun 7, 2008

8. Jabberwok

Jun 7, 2008
    Personally, I am not liberal with what I consider to be an RPG. An RPG has character building (generally through stat systems) and a story built around player "choice and consequences" (as Fargo might put it). This is not the same as choice as in choosing whether or not to do a quest, which is the Bethesda version.

By my definition, Doom and Half-Life will never, ever be RPGs. Half-Life is awesome, but it's an FPS, not even cross-genre. And of course, my definition is the correct one. ;D

I suppose the argument can be made that it doesn't matter what label you put on something. But as you kind of already said, misusing these labels is flattening and dumbing down the conceptual landscape. Calling every open world shooter an RPG is training generations of console players, maybe even PC gamers, to expect flat and vapid experiences with some tacked on feature creep, meaningless collectibles, and flashy graphics. Gradually, this becomes the new standard of both developer and player freedom, when we start to lose the old definitions, and there is no longer a distinction between shooting and role-playing. This is why I think it's important to maintain an idea of what an RPG is.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  9. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    You do more than just choosing whether you do or don't do the quest! You also have the choice which weapon you want to use, to do all the killing in the quest.

10. Meurzh

Meurzh Spurs that Jingle Jangle

Dec 6, 2015
    It's rather funny seeing many of these reviewers not give a glowing review yet give it a stellar rating. We all know what's at play here.

11. Shardik

Shardik Still Mildly Glowing

Nov 5, 2015
    Don't forget the choice you have in deciding the order in which the members of the mob will be killed!

Such meaningful decisions ...

12. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Guest

I told Preston to fuck off when he wanted help in Concord but it gave me the quest anyway. He did act pretty pissed at least. First time I saw an emotion besides blind optimism in him the whole game. Such a shit voice actor.

13. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    He has shit writting too "Remember when we first met and you said X? Well you did it." Wow, the game remembers one dialogue choice I made 5 minutes prior, I am so impressed...

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  14. Generic Dude 2.0

Generic Dude 2.0 First time out of the vault

Apr 19, 2010
    Noah Gervais finally released his spoiler review/critique.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  15. Jabberwok

Jun 7, 2008
    Paraphrasing him, but it's better in context: "In previous Fallouts, the prewar world is defined by how foreign and ridiculous it seems in relation to the world as it is. Things about the prewar world that earlier games might have constructed as absurd, this game constructs as lost wonders." [ 4:08 ] ..... "Fallout 4 is backward looking. Mired in nostalgia for the wrong things."

A pretty telling observation I think, and one that really hits at the core of the tonal shift that I noticed even from watching trailers and demos.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  16. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    It's something I have always said about bethesda's Fallouts. While the first 2 and New Vegas were all about progress and the future of mankind in this new world 3 and 4 are overly obssesed with the pre war world, embracing it's values while the other Fallout games actually criticized them.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    • [Like] [Like] x 8
  17. Plzstandbuy

Plzstandbuy Lonely Drifter

Dec 7, 2015
    That's because Bethesda couldn't make a clever criticism in its life.

Vaults have been reduced to zany maymays.

"Sir, why would we want to freeze people? What social data could we possibly get from that?"

"What do you mean? Were mean to people cuz were ebils!"

"Right, I forgot sir."

Clever portrayals of totalitarianism show how the ordinary people fall into them, and how the perpetrators convince themselves that the ends justify the means.

To dumb people, its because they were evil, and they of course never would be. Which is why we live in the good ole' freedom loving USA!

Long story short the original Fallout's tried to make people like the folks over at Bethesda take a step back and think.

18. CRBASF23

CRBASF23 First time out of the vault

Sep 2, 2015
    Modders please:

19. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    There could be so much done with this ... *le sigh*

20. MercenarySnake

MercenarySnake Kept you waiting huh?

Aug 22, 2015
    Too bad it won't bring back all the things that made Fallout 1 & 2 amazing.