Fallout 4 VS Skyrim

We've seen Bethesda respond to the criticisms of Fallout 4 in the newest dlc. Could they learn from their past mistakes and create a Fallout on par to the originals?
They have members of the team that actively suggested the new dialogue and perk system. Like, anyone who had any concept of what the Roleplaying aspect of Fallout was about would have immediately said "NO!" and went back to the complex perks that affect dialogue and don't rely off of the flawed SPECIAL trees, characters that have both strengths and weaknesses, and dialogues with multiple branches that support different playstyles and character-types.

If they are to ever respond to criticism, then they'll need to replace the core team with someone who actually understands the Roleplaying aspects.

We've seen Bethesda respond to the criticisms of Fallout 4 in the newest dlc. Could they learn from their past mistakes and create a Fallout on par to the originals?
They would have to recognize those as mistakes first. Most of what you see in Fallout 4, design wise, was done on purpose. And they havn't decided on this yesterday, Fallout 4 is just another game in a line of changes which happend over the last 15 years, from Morrowind, to Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim and now Fallout 4.
I feel, for new Fallout game, to actually get closer to the experience of the originals, Bethesda would have to hire a completely new team. Without the intention to offend anyone or question Todds skills as game designer right now. But even if we ignore everything that is Fallout. The guy has made the same kind of game for the last 15 years, since Morrowind. Making now something, that is closer to Planescape, Wasteland or X-Com, just as example, or even something that follows a similar narrative, would be a huge change in design. It's like asking someone who has worked for 15 years with nothing else but wood in his design, to suddenly do it with metal, without even understanding the material, its properties and requirements. Todd is, I am afraid, a one-trick-pony.

Todd is, I am afraid, a one-trick-pony.
Please, you need to spread the love Crni, Todd gets too much credit as is. His best bud from Boston needs lovin' too. It went down the shitter when they hired a shit voice actor to be the lead designer. Emil is as much to blame as Todd, if not more here.

They have members of the team that actively suggested the new dialogue and perk system. Like, anyone who had any concept of what the Roleplaying aspect of Fallout was about would have immediately said "NO!" and went back to the complex perks that affect dialogue and don't rely off of the flawed SPECIAL trees, characters that have both strengths and weaknesses, and dialogues with multiple branches that support different playstyles and character-types.

If they are to ever respond to criticism, then they'll need to replace the core team with someone who actually understands the Roleplaying aspects.

When did they say this?

They didn't, but the fact that they actively implemented an obviously shitty dialogue system really shows how little they get Fallout.
Then what you said was a lie. Stop making lies.

They most likely implemented the system to be more like the Mass Effect series, not because they don't get Fallout.

Except Mass Effect is about an already premade character, Shepard. That's not what Fallout is supposed to be. Fallout is about making your own role in the world, having an actual impact through your actions, not simply becoming leader of everything and everyone after 2 missions because everything is already predetermined to making you the most badass awesome hero whoever walked the earth.

If they were trying to make Fallout like Mass Effect, first of all, that's a completely idiotic thing to do, and second of all, they did it horribly.

If Fallout had always started with a premade character like the Witcher serires or Mass Effect then this transition would have worked a lot better, but as it stands, Fallout has always been about roleplaying our own experiences, making our own characters, not having one where everything is decided for us. We get 0 creative input into making our character in Fallout 4 because it's all decided for us from the get-go. It's shit.

Even Skyrim gives you a blank slate character to work with, it's one of the points I brought up.

Last edited:
You're implying that trying to be more like Mass Effect and not getting Fallout are not mutually inclusive.
Without the intention to sound smug, but if you really want to get the idea and core design behind Fallout, your best try would be to look at Pen & Paper games. It is what the Fallout 1 developers talked about, and what they wanted to create on the PC. Hence why they chose as their first system, GURPS, but since they could not get the rights to it, they developed their own system, which is what we now know as SPECIAL. It is also why they chose the visuals, turn based combat, and a top down/ISO-metric perspective, to capture the feeling and design behind P&P games as close as possible.

Even Skyrim gives you a blank slate character to work with, it's one of the points I brought up.
Albeit while also making you THE CHOSEN ONE, because lord knows we can't have originality or a character who isn't SPECIAL from the start. Bethesda's overuse of the chosen one trope is really tiresome.

Cough*Fallout 2*cough.

Here's the big difference. In Fallout 2 you're only the Chosen One because you were able to get the jumpsuit from the temple. And you're only the "chosen one" to your tribe. No one else knows who the fuck you are until AFTER you've saved the wastes from the Enclave.

Meanwhile in something like Skyrim, you're the chosen one the second you start the main quest and get that first dragon soul. Suddenly every single person in the game knows you're the legendary Dragonborn. Not so in Fallout 2. You may be the "Chosen One" to the people of your tribe but to everyone else you're a disgusting tribal nobody until you prove yourself.

Here's the big difference. In Fallout 2 you're only the Chosen One because you were able to get the jumpsuit from the temple. And you're only the "chosen one" to your tribe. No one else knows who the fuck you are until AFTER you've saved the wastes from the Enclave.

Meanwhile in something like Skyrim, you're the chosen one the second you start the main quest and get that first dragon soul. Suddenly every single person in the game knows you're the legendary Dragonborn. Not so in Fallout 2. You may be the "Chosen One" to the people of your tribe but to everyone else you're a disgusting tribal nobody until you prove yourself.
There's a point to that, in Fallout 2 you're looked down on by the majority of people as a dumb tribal.

Cough*Fallout 2*cough.
Except, that in Fallout 2, if I remember correctly, you're not the chosen one by birth or trough a gods will. I think it was similar to Fallout 1, where it happend that you simply have been the next one in line. Who knows how many other people have gone trough the temple of trials? How many failed before you succeeded, either trough sheer luck or skill. I don't think it is really comparable with Skyrim, where for some reason you're always the chosen one by divine intervention.

Except, that in Fallout 2, if I remember correctly, you're not the chosen one by birth or trough a gods will. I think it was similar to Fallout 1, where it happend that you simply have been the next one in line. Who knows how many other people have gone trough the temple of trials? How many failed before you succeeded, either trough sheer luck or skill. I don't think it is really comparable with Skyrim, where for some reason you're always the chosen one by divine intervention.
In Fallout 1 you were unlucky. The description of drawing the shortest straw is one of the factors that pulled me in when I saw it in a games shop.

Yeah, and in Fallout 2, who knows how many have tried and died before you :P
The fact alone that someone took enough time to build this temple, and name it temple of trials tells us enough. Heh. And I guess you are not the first one to venture out in search for the Geck. I mean this dieing in your village was going on for some time. However, I think the game could have done a better job of showing that, making it similar to the first game, where the Elder calls you the Chosen one, but actually, you're just another dude ... who was unlucky drawing the shortest straw.

Yeah, and in Fallout 2, who knows how many have tried and died before you :P
The fact alone that someone took enough time to build this temple, and name it temple of trials tells us enough. Heh. And I guess you are not the first one to venture out in search for the Geck. I mean this dieing in your village was going on for some time. However, I think the game could have done a better job of showing that, making it similar to the first game, where the Elder calls you the Chosen one, but actually, you're just another dude ... who was unlucky drawing the shortest straw.
Yep, I loved it how you were a hesitant hero. Remember how the Vault door in Fallout 1 was mysteriously not working if you wanted back in?

Back