The first patch for Fallout 4 is now out as a Steam beta patch:

New Features

• Number pad keys can now be used for remapping
  • Remapping Activate now works on Quick Container
Fixes

• General memory and stability improvements
  • Fixed issue where equipped weapons become locked after completing Reunions
  • Fixed issue with When Freedom Calls where the quest would not complete
  • During Confidence Man, fixed issue where player’s health would continuously regenerate
  • Fixed crash related to jumping into water and reloading saved games
  • Fixed issue where Launcher would not save God Rays Quality setting properly

This beta update is a work in progress so before opting into the beta, back up your saved games.

To get the beta, you need to do the following:
  1. Log into Steam
  2. Right Click on Fallout 4 in your Library
  3. Select Settings
  4. Select Betas
  5. A drop down menu will appear. Select Beta Update
  6. Select OK
  7. Wait a few minutes and Fallout 4 should update
When done, Fallout 4 should appear as Fallout 4 [beta] in your Library
If you decide you don’t want to run the Beta anymore, redo steps 1 – 4. At the drop down, select NONE – Opt out of all beta programs.

If anyone opts into the beta please share your experiences good or bad here.

If you don't want to pull your hair out, let other people try this first and bork their savegames.

The fact that they are using the steam beta release system, instead of just pushing the patch doesn't tell me that they are even mostly sure if their own fixes for their own game are going to work.

Steam and Beta are two words that combined tend to mean "completely untested shit hiding behind the word Beta as protection from criticism."

Sooo ... we are in the age where patches require their own patches now and where you have to beta test patches?

They had opt-in beta patches for Skyrim as well ;-)

I don't remember if they ever modified the beta patches before rolling them out for the general public.

Plenty of other steam games push regular updates and patches without resorting to the opt-in beta mechanism.

That's also been happening for years.

Try again.

Installed the patch, the game still re-detects my graphics settings on every start, doesn't save my in-game settings and doesn't properly save the advanced settings. Didn't have any of the other things that are supposed to be fixed. Good job, patch did absolutely nothing. Oh, wait, now it always detects my God Ray settings to high instead of ultra. Which is weird, because it automatically sets my graphics to ultra on start up, but when I open the advanced options the texture quality is set to medium and the God Rays are set to high. It's an unholy mess.

Yeah, but it will at least double the amount of bugs, since every patch comes also with new ones ...
I will never forget the infamous 1.2 patch in Skyrim, the one that caused dragons to fly backward and completely broke all player elemental resistances. They tried to laugh it off, but couldn't push the 1.3 patch out the door fast enough.

General memory and stability improvements

The only problem here is your shitty PC, not the game.

Fixed issue where equipped weapons become locked after completing Reunions

As if you needed other weapons anyways

Fixed issue with When Freedom Calls where the quest would not complete

The issue here is that people are too stupid to finish one simple goddamn quest.

During Confidence Man, fixed issue where player’s health would continuously regenerate

And that's a bad thing?

Fixed crash related to jumping into water and reloading saved games

Immersion people. Get your shit straight.

Fixed issue where Launcher would not save God Rays Quality setting properly

That's not an issue, that's a hidden quest.

It is a nice thing to tell the steps of first patch for fallout 4 update. It is the best version as compare to previous one. It was a little bit difficult for me at starting but now it is easy for me. The only big issue for me was an access of a fallout 4 updates, but later I got it by right click on the game and found a library option there. I selected an option of properties, then there I found the beta tab, and finally update there.

Last edited:
I've got the beta patch. I get CTDs now when I didn't before. It's not frequent, but it happens after fast travel. At least I don't lose much. Their "remapping" doesn't allow you to break out the additional functions bound to the L-ALT and E keys, which is what I was really hoping to see.

"General memory and stability improvements"

Oh but I thought Methead Hines said that it ran perfectly and that all the stability issues where people regfurgitating lies they heard! I think he said this after the admited to skip all dialogue in bethesda games becaue he finds it bad.

Back