Fallout Apocrypha - By Chris Avellone

Lol i have read and heard the exact opposite, how he didn't influenced the main game much at all and was mostly involved with the DLC.
He was mostly involved with writing on the DLCs, but mostly involved with design on FNV. NV doesn't have much (or any) dialogue written by him, as far as I know.

Last edited:
You can easily identify the dialog written by him on the amount of bloat. :p His dialogues just never end.

That kinda depends on who you are. I do enjoy seeing more Fallout content being created like Bethesda has done with the tabletop wargames, shirts, collectibles (even though I don't collect them), and the new TV show that everyone will act like they hate but will watch anyway.

I will not be watching the TV show, scout's honor, cross my heart and hope to die.
This is pretty much a death of the author statement.
Oh they helped make Fallout popular and reach the mainstream and become a very well-selling product so that excuses every way that they butchered the series to make it such a popular sellable product.

This is why I don't trust the idea of "official" canon anymore unless it's only made by a single creator (like a novel). Once it becomes an IP instead of a story, it's essentially just a collection of disparate ideas being whored out to whoever can pay to insert their fanfiction into it. At that point, I'd rather just pick and choose my own headcanon and ignore everything else, regardless of who the creators are.

With that in mind, Avellone's knowledge of Fallout lore might still be useful, but his actual opinions don't hold any legitimacy to me unless I happen to agree with them. Same goes for the F1 creators, even. To me, Fallout 1 is canon, but the author's thoughts outside the text are not. Especially after decades of aging into different people from the ones who actually wrote it.

I guess I will have to take your word for it. Plenty of guys said they would not buy 76 then they did because it was 5 bucks or some shit. At the very least you could post more haha.

I guess I will have to take your word for it. Plenty of guys said they would not buy 76 then they did because it was 5 bucks or some shit. At the very least you could post more haha.

My only experience of 4 and 76 has been watching videos about how bad they are, which I guess is something I do for fun now, instead of playing games.

But you don't trust anyone. :V

He was Senior Designer of FNV and Project Director and Creative Lead Designer of the DLCs. So he had plenty of influence in base FNV. He also wrote the graphic novel "All Roads", which shows a bit of background on New Vegas main story.
Nah there are game devs I trust to make games that don't suck. They just aren't dudes that made two or three good games twenty years ago then hardly anything else.

You can easily identify the dialog written by him on the amount of bloat. :p His dialogues just never end.
The beginning of Old World Blues was funny but he really needed to cut down on the Think Tank's dialogue. I'm all for dialogue that adds to the world and characters but assuming you don't just skip through it and you make the most out of your speech options, the intro is like 40 minutes long. Half of which is Klein arguing with the other doctors.
I mean, I've played Fallout 4 tons but I haven't played 76. Though that's primarily me not wanting to use 70GB+ of HDD space for an online only game. I haven't even played COD Warzone or any of those other live service games for that reason.

Nah there are game devs I trust to make games that don't suck. They just aren't dudes that made two or three good games twenty years ago then hardly anything else.
To be honest, I enjoyed (some more, some not as much) all the games I played (and several are even on my top 10 favourite PC games) that involved work from Tim Cain, Boyarsky and/or Jason Anderson:
  • Fallout
  • Fallout 2
  • Arcanum
  • Temple of Elemental Evil
  • VtM: Bloodlines
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Tyranny
  • Wasteland 2
I didn't play The Outer Worlds, since it's a first-person shooter RPG, and I'm not into those, so I probably wouldn't enjoy that one much.

Although I wasn't saying I trust them to keep making good games, I was saying I trust their word on Fallout lore and canonicity way more than anyone else's (including Avellone's).

I just don't trust how much involvement those guys have in these modern games in the first place. They tout MCA as some writer in such and such then he writes like one character and some lore nobody reads or something. Sawyer I think I like more than guys like Tim Cain because it seems they just run the business instead of make the games at this point in time. South Park was good because of Matt and Trey mostly imo. The game was kinda just there. When it comes to Tyranny I think I can be more evil in Pathfinder Kingmaker which is a bummer.

I don't know why people keep asking currently active game dev and writers what they think of a studio in general and expect them to go on a rant about them raping the series. They are not gonna do that lmao that's career suicide. Even on the New Vegas making of dvd the most they did was light prodding at people who have never played the originals.

I mean, does Chris even have a career at this point? Is he involved in any major project?

I was not asking for him to go on a nerd rage, but his positive and negative points about Fallout 3 were crap honestly and clearly a man that for some reason is trying to not step on a landmine. If you are not gonna bother to actually adress the design of the game, then don't even bother with meaningless walls of text.

I don't think these guys are the guys you guys think they are....guyyssssss.

Whenever I think of people asking the pros for opinions on Bethesda Fallout, I think of that Josh Sawyer smirk that Hbomberguy pointed out in his video, that Sawyer said he was reading into too much.

I doubt I will ever know what any of these guys really think.

Yeah, I don't think there's any bad blood between developers. I suspect MCA respects Todd and co more than anything, he probably emphasis the position they were in, and saw how ideas were implemented in a different genre and acknowledges that more than we do.

We just see it from a player stand point, we don't really know all the meat that goes into the final product.
We can create this narrative in our heads of Obsidian being these war torn heroes and Bethesda being greedy villains, but they are more alike than they are different. They just have different approaches to game design, and I'm sure the New Vegas guys can see that.

Back