Fallout Apocrypha - By Chris Avellone

"OMFG DID BETHESDA LIKE, TOTALLY, SCREW OBSIDIAN OUT OF A BONUS ON METACRITIC???!!!

Nope.

The “Metacritic bonus” if the game got above an 84 review score was something Bethesda offered above and beyond the New Vegas contract.

We didn’t ask for this, they offered it, and it was our responsibility to hit that review score. We did have to have layoffs at Obsidian around this time period, but the bonus from Metacritic wouldn’t have prevented that from happening."

This statement makes a lot of old posts on this site age like a Bawls Guarana Zero™

Except Bethesda was in charge of QA and because of their dogshit QA and enforced release date even though it should have been postponed it got worse review scores and lost out on that bonus by 1 measly point. 1 point that would probably have been reached and exceeded had Bethesda done their job.

Last edited:
"OMFG DID BETHESDA LIKE, TOTALLY, SCREW OBSIDIAN OUT OF A BONUS ON METACRITIC???!!!

Nope.

The “Metacritic bonus” if the game got above an 84 review score was something Bethesda offered above and beyond the New Vegas contract.

We didn’t ask for this, they offered it, and it was our responsibility to hit that review score. We did have to have layoffs at Obsidian around this time period, but the bonus from Metacritic wouldn’t have prevented that from happening."

This statement makes a lot of old posts on this site age like a Bawls Guarana Zero™
I'm pretty sure he clarified this within hours or days of the original outrage too, it is not exactly news

Last edited:
Yup, we knew about it pretty quickly. But of course the only-reading-headlines crowd on the internet still hasn't caught on.

Except Bethesda was in charge of QA and because of their dogshit QA and enforced release date even though it should have been postponed it got worse review scores and lost out on that bonus by 1 measly point. 1 point that would probably have been reached and exceeded had Bethesda done their job.
You really think Bethesda would’ve gave them the bonus if the game had to be postponed?

I'm pretty sure he clarified this within hours or days of the original outrage too, it is not exactly news
Yeah, just funny to look back at people malding over it years ago. And its funny to see people (on other sites) bring up the bonus with little knowledge on it. Crazy how such a simple piece of information can get so twisted. Much like a Bawls Guarana™ bottle cap

Last edited:
and its still the second best 3d fallout game :^)

Don't Lie, You know it isn't
Gimme a second, just gonna check for the hundredth time today. Gonna cross reference with other results. And done.

Yup, there's only three Fallout games and the only 3D one is New Vegas.

Gimme a second, just gonna check for the hundredth time today. Gonna cross reference with other results. And done.

Yup, there's only three Fallout games and the only 3D one is New Vegas.
Fanon Discontinuity at it's FINEST FORM!

Good stuff dude, good stuff.

:clap:

never liked the "keeping it alive" argument because its like yeah you're technically right... in a pet semetary kinda way

Something being alive doesn't matter if it's shit.

While I am glad that we got FNV which content wise was fine though I think the DLCs are showing their cracks once one is over the initial excitement, after all the franchise has gone through it may not have been such a bad turn of events had the franchise been retired. Van Buren would have nice and even though I would liked to have seen a Fallout 4 set in Texas (hence why I wish to make a TC or a world book set in it), VB would have been a good conclusion.

Is this project, Fallout Apocrypha, still a thing? Does the man still answer questions?

Back