Fallout: Chicago (Includes Thorough Setting and Map)

NotoriousLynx

First time out of the vault
The Midwest Wasteland

2254, The Midwest Brotherhood of Steel begins to fall apart after a long war with the Super Mutant army. Gangs begin to pop up, taking control of buildings or communities that have remained in tact. The Brotherhood of Steel, fearing they might be outnumbered and out-resourced, decide to initiate a peace treaty among them and the gangs where the BoS is safe from their crimes, and in return, they protect them from the horrors of the wastes, like Deathclaws and a second Mutant uprising. The Chicago Enclave, once great, but ruined during the Chicago Wars for reclamation of the city, decides to detach themselves from the Enclave in order to form their own gang, the Syndicate, and try to take control of Chicago from the inside, without having the other gangs and BoS realize they are indeed, Enclave.

*I expanded upon Sebor13 of the Bethesda Forum's idea, and combined it with mine. Most of the credit goes to him for the story section, but the rest is from me.

Important Places/Settlements

Chinatown - In order to access Chicago, you have to gain the trust of the Chinese gang, the Chinatown Triad. Before the war, Chinatown was reconstructed as a encampment for possible Chinese spies, so the attitude of the people are a bit hard-boiled. They mostly wield blunt weapons, like batons, and their clothes are suits over officer ware. Here, you can also find documents of pre-war Chinese terrorists on terminals.

Far Southside - A no man's land. The Far Southside is crime-ridden. The civilians are no better than raiders. It's basically Freeside, without any authority like the Kings or NCR. The Vault near Far Southside is filled with a gang who are experienced mechanics, trying to repair vehicles, among other things. The vault experiment was to see how the civilians could live when without any authority, not even an overseer. Most of the inhabitants had troubled pasts.

Drake Hotel - While most of the technology in the hotel, such as the lights and some of the elevators, are destroyed, the hotel is in pretty good shape. The ruling gang, based on the Chicago Outfit, lives here. They aren't entirely evil, but will not hesitate to kill without any conscious thoughts. The gang mostly uses Navy Pier as their place of operation so the BoS doesn't suspect anything. Navy Pier is filled with Mirelurks and other abominations, making it hard to tranverse, but they have a sewer system that leads straight to a warehouse they use.

Michigan Avenue Bridge - In order to get to the northside of Chicago from Museum Campus, you need to find a way to lower the drawbridge to travel across the bridge.

Wrigley Field - Home to a large group of Raiders who perform gladiator-like games on the baseball field. They are mostly equipped with sports equipment. You can find the schematics to a minigun that uses an automatic pitcher here.

Bunker Alpha - This is where the BoS first started. The bunker returns from tactics, with a few of the canon stories in that game. The BoS are mainly encamped at Tribune Tower, as well as Congress Theater and the Museum Campus.

Lake Michigan Vault - You might of noticed a vault near the top right, in Lake Michigan. That control vault was to see the experiences of living under irradiated waters. The inhabitants are now mindless, hostile ghouls that are combined with Mirelurk Kings. For now, I call them Merghouls.

Map:

ChicagoWasteland-1.jpg

Anything else you would like to know about? Ask, critique, add, take away, Go!

I know its mentioned that the Enclave is in or around Chicago, but why bring the Enclave back again?

Their presence is not necessary in a Fallout game and quite frankly I am starting to think they hinder the development of new ideas and plots.

As Chicago plays a big part in my game aswell, I wonder one thing: why is the city not completely nuked (it is a primary target) in your concept, NotoriousLynx? Or do you have any plot device, like Mr. House having a defense shield around the town like in New Vegas?

The city is basically completely nuked. It's pretty much like Washington DC, just some landmarks were able to hold up against the blast. Some sky scrapers have been almost entirely obliterated, however. And you can see signs of them falling on top of the city. I was going to put a settlement that took place within the top of a skyscraper that detached and fallen on top of the city.

Maybe you can say that during vault construction, some buildings were reinforced with some kind of powerful metal.

They aren't really the enclave. They have the same beliefs, and they want to repair the enclave, but I don't think they should completely get rid of them since they are as important as vaults, BoS, or super mutants, in my opinion. And it's extremely small, also. There is only one area where the enclave are held up and that was the O'hare airport, but they left the airport to form the syndicate.

It is indeed an opinion question these days if the Enclave is an integral part of Fallout.
A part of it yes, especially regarding background, but I am of the opinion that a Fallout game can be perfectly made without the BOS, Super Mutants, Vaults or the Enclave being in it.

I agree you don't have to have one of the things. NV basically was that. EXCEPT you can't have all four of those things completely missing from the game. That just doesn't seem right.

I know it's from Tactics, but will downtown look more like this? Or perhaps a bit more "flattened out?"

Chicago2.png

One of the ideas I'd been tooling around over the years is that a post-apocalyptic version of the Sears Tower or another skyscraper would be an Arcology - a sort of Utopian hyperstructure that rises over the ruins of civilization. Real "City of the FUTURE!" kind of deal.

Rather than a vault located underground with resources that people need, the arcology would have resources high above ground.

The problem, of course, is ascending the tower to get to it. Such a structrue would be an obvious beacon of attention... and hostiles such as raiders or aggressive mutants have been trying for decades to access the upper levels. The top levels have been damaged and collapsed, preventing entry to Enclave soldiers via vertibird.

Is it inhabited? Maybe. Though, it's unlikely that anyone up there were still pure human. Maybe it's inhabited by ghouls who've been trapped up there since the bombs fell. Maybe they're all feral, maybe not.

Plenty of room for both.

Sounds like an amazing idea, Devil. I really want to keep the skyscrapers of Chicago in somehow and that sounds like a great idea. I think a pyramid would work great. The entrance could be the peak and you'll need to take like a side-ways elevator to get to the peak. The pyramid's interior would be like a vault, but more of a City of the Future deal as you said. The fact it's a pyramid also makes it a bit flavorful since the wasteland is basically a desert.

Personally I would really like to see large metropolitan cities reduced to nearly flatted ruins again, and not skyscrapers piling up to each other like dominoes that have been pushed over.
Perhaps most of them being left being their steel construction 'skeletons', mangled and twisted.

Right now since Fallout 3 a lot of locations look more like they were abandoned by people rather than a nuclear attack taking place.

Fo1_Intro_Bakersfield_OR.png

This is what Necropolis looked like in the Fallout opening and city map, and while it does make for a cool picture to look at while entering the city, the sparse, one-story buildings make it look more nuclear blast-like.

arcology.gif

This is a launch arco, the single most awesome building in Sim City 2000 besides 'lower class homes 3'.
Seeing the decaying remains of such a thing amongst a bunch of flattened pieces of concrete and rebar would be cool, and restarting it and setting up a civilization might make a nice main quest.
These aren't what arcologies <a>actually look like,</a> but the futuristic, self-sufficient megastructure might be nice so long as it is not recycled in every subsequent game.

I'm glad that some effort was put into this game idea, but it might be made better if some tweaking was done so it didn't include the super mutants, Enclave, and Brotherhood of Steel.

Krinkels said:
arcology.gif

This is a launch arco, the single most awesome building in Sim City 2000 besides 'lower class homes 3'.
Seeing the decaying remains of such a thing amongst a bunch of flattened pieces of concrete and rebar would be cool, and restarting it and setting up a civilization might make a nice main quest.
These aren't what arcologies <a>actually look like,</a> but the futuristic, self-sufficient megastructure might be nice so long as it is not recycled in every subsequent game.
I think that's a really cool idea, but that's more 1950s sci fi style as opposed to 1950s retro future. I don't think it would really fit in with the fallout universe

Farmerk said:
Krinkels said:
arcology.gif

I think that's a really cool idea, but that's more 1950s sci fi style as opposed to 1950s retro future. I don't think it would really fit in with the fallout universe

I do agree with you, but Old World Blues is pretty similar to that , although not in scale. I don't think it's too much of a jump from Retro to Sci Fi.

Well, to be more honest, I wasn't thinking the Sim City 2000 type of arcology, but more the various hyperstructures.

The pyramid arcology design would be give a large "city of the FUTURE" vibe... without actually being too "sci fi" at the same time.

Tyrellbuilding.jpg

Tyrell Building of Blade Runner, while not exactly an arcology, but definitely very "Hyperstructure" styling. Of course, it's actually related to the idea of what the 1920s thought the future would look like, rather than the 50s.

http://artect.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/hughferriss.jpg

The Dutch Ghost said:
Personally I would really like to see large metropolitan cities reduced to nearly flatted ruins again, and not skyscrapers piling up to each other like dominoes that have been pushed over.
Perhaps most of them being left being their steel construction 'skeletons', mangled and twisted.

Right now since Fallout 3 a lot of locations look more like they were abandoned by people rather than a nuclear attack taking place.

I think that some cities would be spared with certain High-Technological excuses, or simply destroyed by other less-catastrophic means like plague,natural disasters,etc.....

Las Vegas was spared by House. Other cities could be saved with similar means. A Navy can intercept some missiles. Some kind of force field might be plausible, or a Underground city beneath a city. Maybe a city built under Chicago,SLC,Austin,whatever.....

I hate to see flattened cities too much in Fallout because it makes since for some places to be relatively intact. Besides it would look pretty dull otherwise. Just my opinion though.

As for the Enclave I do agree, but they can be changed up enough to become interesting again. They were done wrong in Fallout 3,but good in New Vegas. I think Fallout 4 should not have the Enclave at all,but maybe Fallout 5 would warrant a new approach. If the Enclave disbanded and formed a new group after the previous defeats what would the new organization look like, who would run it,and what would their purpose be?

I think a new group would form,and would look nothing like the old one. They would see the flaws in their previous incarnations and adapt. I think it is a natural progression for a Fallout game in Chicago featuring the Enclave, but they would have a new name. Something Patriotic and Pre-War American I think. Just my two cents, and my idea.

For defense of cities (especially if we are looking at older technologies)
The Nike missile system was specifically deployed around cities to defend them (Chicago and Detroit are two of the biggest deployments)>

I have been working on Detroit fallout (blah blah blah)

Anyway, Nike Missiles were nuclear tipped and were designed first to hit russian bombers and later to intercept incoming ICBMs.

If a Nike blew up a bomber or incoming missile, at minimum there would be an airburst in the upper atmosphere and there would be some blast/over pressure damage (windows blown out) and some radiation would hit.

The problem was that there would be many incoming bombers and missiles and if any of the soviet bombers fired a stand off cruise missile (at that time they were modified Mig-15s and Mig-17s with a warhead rather than a pilot) there would be a lot of ground damage and fallout from a successful intercept... or a miss.

The Nike missiles were also designed to be used as artillery, they could hit ground targets up to 90 miles away if needed.

I have been working on a Great Lakes area Fallout too. Detroit and Chicago would be good cities to have a Fallout game in. Chicago has a large Naval base nearby that is responsible for the Great Lakes area defense-Makes sense for them to have some kind of missile defense, and they do in real life. You are right that many bombs would get through, but the cities would be relatively intact for game purposes.

This is a super cool idea, and I really like the artwork... Looks like it would be a fun environment to play in, and looks like it could be pretty realistic. Can't wait to check the Chicago Map out :)
Krinkels said:
Fo1_Intro_Bakersfield_OR.png
Chicago Map

This is what Necropolis looked like in the Fallout opening and city map, and while it does make for a cool picture to look at while entering the city, the sparse, one-story buildings make it look more nuclear blast-like.

arcology.gif

I'm glad that some effort was put into this game idea, but it might be made better if some tweaking was done so it didn't include the super mutants, Enclave, and Brotherhood of Steel.

One thing. Technically, the MWBoS would have no clue who The Enclave are. They went east before FO2.

So, if say the Chicago Enclave was independant of FO2 Enclave, with no FEV plan for example, the MWBoS and Enclave could form some kind of alliance.

Just a thought.

Back