Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - next release will be some time in Jan 2020

Kelldroth said:
Took me 4 hours to figure out how to link the radio, but that toggle worked!

Goddamn the designers made figuring out how to do that non-intuitive..

Now that I've done that, the glitch doesn't matter in the least.

Please note THIS LINK HAS MANY MANY SPOILERS SINCE IT IS A COMPLETE AND THOROUGH WALKTHROUGH OF THE GAME:

You can get info like that from http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/fallout.html if you prefer. Best Fallout guide ever :D

EDIT: I was going to post it before but wasn't sure if I wanted to since it has so many spoliers....

Spectro said:
How goes progress on Windows 7 x64?
None until today; I was out of town... I worked on it this morning though and it should work in Windows 7 now.

Sduibek are you willing to go through all of the cave/underground maps and change their light settings - make them darker...more atmospheric. I think everyone would agree it has improved the RP. 8-)

By RP i'm assuming you're refering to Fallout 2? If you would kindly link me to a thread/download/readme in question, i'm feeling lazy to look it up myself lol.

Thanks ^_^

There is no so called link - but I asked Killap to darken the light levels for all of the caves and underground settings in the RP, and IMO it makes the game much better. Just find a map location script - the Vault 13 cave for instance, and change the lighting from ex: 40 to 20. Do a before and after test, see how it looks. :wink:

Code:
procedure Lighting
begin
  variable LVar1 := 0;

LVar1 := op_game_time_hour();
  if ((LVar1 >= 600) and (LVar1 <700>= 700) and (LVar1 <1800>= 1800) and (LVar1 < 1900)) then
    op_set_light_level(100 - (LVar1 - 1800));
  else
    op_set_light_level(40);
end

Okay cool, that's what I thought you meant. Thanks.

Has anyone found the Easter Egg yet? :)

NEW VERSION UP!

Note for 64-bit OS users: FalloutW.bat won't work (it runs a 16-bit exe) so you'll need to run f1_screen_refresh.exe and then start FalloutW.exe manually. If you really really want to run the crash fix patch (that's the file that won't work) you will have to do so through a Virtual Machine.

This version should work with (32-bit) Windows 7 and Windows Vista as far as I know.

OP of this thread updated:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57362&highlight=
Download links are the same.

New in this version:
-- Radiation "damage" received increased: The Glow all levels & entrance map (very large increase), random encounters near the Military Base and The Glow (doubled), and Ghouls (slight increase) and lastly implemented for all random encounters @ The Glow and Vats/MB. Some of the original values were ridiculously low to the point of being totally unrealistic and having very little (if any) affect on gameplay. Beware and carry Rad-X! :evil grin:
-- Dropped the variable radiation "damage" from Ghouls to a max of 9, that way you won't see "You have received a large dose of radiation" in addition to the usual "You have been radiated!"
-- Exp earned message and "You sense a trap near" order changed (this is a fix of an oversight of mine from a previous FalloutFIXT version)
-- This mod should work just fine on Windows 7 and Windows Vista ("in theory LOL LOL LOL")
-- Added a note to OP of this thread, that the Cathedral Crash Fix won't run in a 64-bit OS.
-- Update to screen refresh dialog box verbiage for clarity
-- (Partially implemented, still in progress) Some dialog options increased the hireable NPCs' opinion of the player for no explicable reason -- like when saying "OK Goodbye" or something similarly mundane. i've change these to be a neutral reaction.
-- map "introduction" msg for some areas now appear each time, not only on first visit (only a couple implemented so far)
-- You can now use an angry version of the "Step Aside" text. Go ahead, yell at your NPCs! :D
-- Underground maps (aside from The Glow due to secondary power) have had their light value(s) reduced from 40 to 20 for realism/atmosphere. (Max is 100)
-- Still working on getting the Step Aside function to work better (sigh)
-- Due to a strange bug in how the game reads the critter .PRO files, some critters would start with partial HP on map load. Examples are Lars, Justin Greene, and the Hub cops. I've fixed this so they are set to full HP (on first visit to the map ONLY! not looking to change game balance here). This is now complete - 476 scripts changed.
-- The above fix for full HP on map load DOES NOT apply to your NPCs (this is to avoid unintended healing when wandering around) but DOES apply to the Mysterious Stranger.
-- Caravan team members now have some ammo and 1 stimpack each
-- Glowing Ones, Ghouls/Zombies, and Radiated Rats now do radiation damage as originally intended -- 22 scripts changed.

Have fun!

Felipefpl said:
dude, you have been busy, 476 scripts aside the others? Congrats.
Well to be fair, once I came up with the code that worked as I wanted, it was just a matter of finding every applicable critter script file (many of which probably aren't even used lol) and then open file, Paste, open file, Paste, open file, Paste.... Thank you though, it definitely isn't an exciting process :mrgreen:

After talking to The Master V2 here, I realized i'd never stated that it is not required to start a new character every time you install Fallout FIXT -- if you have a character from the original Fallout 1 (v1.1, v1.2 TeamX, etc) you'll want to start over so you don't get crashes -- but if you already have FalloutFIXT installed and a character started, just install the new version of FIXT and continue playing.

I'll add that to the OP as well.

Sduibek said:
Would it be useful to add the effects of addiction(s) to their description(s)?
Well, why not, while I guess so anybody will just hit the quickload slot without any reading, right after have been addicted. (Perhaps, some short manual addendum would be working better.)

-- Underground maps (aside from The Glow due to secondary power) have had their light value(s) reduced from 40 to 20 for realism/atmosphere. (Max is 100)
Great feature, I'd enjoyed it in RP too. Still I have a small question:
When the lit flare is laid on a ground, a small surrounding area became alight. Unfortunately, this is not working when the lit flare is held by Vault Dweller in a hand. What do you think, can it be fixed somehow? (Is the lit area adjusted through some script, or it is an engine issue?)

Note the light radius:
http://i51.tinypic.com/x2w7s9.png (flare held in a hand)
http://i51.tinypic.com/acdi8l.png (flare laid on a ground)

Actually that has always bugged me as well... I think I can get the "obj_dude" script to check if you're holding a flare and add light.. ehhh. Not sure if it'll work but i'll try :)

Also I just noticed that my most recent version with the HP fix made it so certain monsters couldn't be hurt at all. Oops! I'll have it fixed today.

Sduibek said:
Also I just noticed that my most recent version with the HP fix made it so certain monsters couldn't be hurt at all. Oops! I'll have it fixed today.
Heh, actually I noticed it right now; the Vault 15 entrance is (was) guarded by a pair of immortal radscorpions. Great fun for me, I can tell you. :lol:

I applaud your work Sduibek...if you want you can add these new larger main menu's for Fallout 1. I built them especially for the the resolution patch for Fallout 1. One is based on the original color scheme, the other on the red box artwork. I promised Mash I would make them look more like the originals, with the torn edges, etc - one day...:look:

New Fallout 1 Main Menu

Original Main menu.

.Pixote. said:
I applaud your work Sduibek...if you want you can add these new larger main menu's for Fallout 1. I built them especially for the the resolution patch for Fallout 1. One is based on the original color scheme, the other on the red box artwork. I promised Mash I would make them look more like the originals, with the torn edges, etc - one day...:look:

New Fallout 1 Main Menu

Original Main menu.
... ...
Those are indeed pretty awesome, but I have 2 concerns:
1) Plenty of people won't like the red one since it "feels" so different, even though it's awesome and ominous :twisted:
2) On the more normal-looking one, it's a bit dark (contrast??) which bugs me for some reason. Also you are right, having the edges around it would be required to give it the proper "feel"

Ultimately I think when I include these it will be like my splash/loading screens -- the user will have an option to install or not install each one individually. Who knows when i'll get around to that though, lol.

valcik said:
Sduibek said:
Heh, actually I noticed it right now; the Vault 15 entrance is (was) guarded by a pair of immortal radscorpions. Great fun for me, I can tell you. :lol:
Yeahhhh. It's a wee bit frustrating, no? ;) This is fixed now.

New version is up! As usual, links and such are in the OP of this thread.

-- Fixed a bug that made some monsters invincible (oops, my bad ;))
-- For those of you with 64-bit OS, you can now run "64bit OS.bat" instead of running both exes manually :clap:
-- Slight reduction to # of punks spawned on "You encounter a small group of raiders" random encounters, for continuity
-- Dehydration does about ten times as much damage as it used to, but i'm still working on this (with the unmodded code, the damage can be reduced and blocked by wearing armor, which is RETARDED)
-- added stats to drugs/useables that were totally useless, so now things like Iguana, Beer, NukaCola, etc., actually have a use and a downside for balance. ((see below))
-- Names of addictions under Karma are a bit more fun now, but should still be obvious which is which. :)
-- The addiction messages ("you feel groggy") are now more interesting and actually clear what frickin addiction they apply to!
-- Alcohol's "you crave a drink" message is a brand new message, created by me.
-- Changes to some of the addiction % values (see below)
-- A few worldmap names (the green ones you click on the green circle) changed for accuracy / continuity (Mariposa Military Base, L.A. Boneyard, Brotherhood of Steel, Khans' Camp, Children's Cathedral, The Glow, The Hub)
-- Version# of Fixt displayed on main menu (yaaayy lol)

Sduibek said:
.. It's a wee bit frustrating, no? ;) This is fixed now.
Don't worry, such a small details cannot to discourage me. Like a truly hero, I just ran away! As Pixote said, your great work is highly appreciated. :salute:

lol, I like your sense of humor.

EDIT: Next version will properly give exp when bribing Bob, bribe cannot go higher than 1000 caps, also you can turn him into Greene for some exp. To go along with the "flavor" of Fallout i've added a bit of humor to the banter when turning him in, and you can of course demand a reward. Lastly, once you've turned in Bob, if you go talk to him you can mess with him if you want ;)

Sduibek said:
On that note, different ammo stack sizes will glitch a bit -- the first stack before being "changed" will show the original amount. You'll see what I mean once you start playing. I won't be able to fix this until I start rebuilding the maps.

Don't touch the ammo sizes, just change the cost of the ammo, that way you don't need to mess with the maps. Just double the price...and please make stimpaks weigh 1.Ib and super stimpaks weigh 2.Ibs. Everything must weigh something - including caps...100 caps = 1.Ib. :roll:

Sduibek what is your intention with this mod - to fix bugs, or to improve the game play, or both, the reason I ask is because you might end up altering the game so much it wont be Fallout 1 anymore...I think you need to be cautious with what you change unless this mod is your personal Fallout fantasy project - which is cool...just saying. :wink:

If I had your scripting skills I would probably want to do the same... :mrgreen:

.Pixote. said:
Sduibek said:
On that note, different ammo stack sizes will glitch a bit -- the first stack before being "changed" will show the original amount. You'll see what I mean once you start playing. I won't be able to fix this until I start rebuilding the maps.

Don't touch the ammo sizes, just change the cost of the ammo, that way you don't need to mess with the maps. Just double the price...and please make stimpaks weigh 1.Ib and super stimpaks weigh 2.Ibs. Everything must weigh something - including caps...100 caps = 1.Ib. :roll:

Sduibek what is your intention with this mod - to fix bugs, or to improve the game play, or both, the reason I ask is because you might end up altering the game so much it wont be Fallout 1 anymore...I think you need to be cautious with what you change unless this mod is your personal Fallout fantasy project - which is cool...just saying. :wink:

If I had your scripting skills I would probably want to do the same... :mrgreen:
My feelings are legitimately hurt!

j/k ;)

Fair enough, i'll remove any changes to ammo items. What are your thoughts on the other new stuff?

EDIT: Downloads updated, the ammo stats are back to default. As an added bonus the script updates for Bob are included too. Ooooo!

As far as my goals... hm. I want to enhance, fix and improve what Fallout already offered. Thus far as you've seen, this includes fixing bugs, restoring intended features, modifying imbalance where applicable, and lots of text changes. As an outside perspective, does changing the drug effects go against that? I was always pissed off that half the 'drugs' in the game did nothing at all, especially since a couple of them were originally intended to have an effect but it didn't make it into the game for whatever reason. after all, why have a consumable item that does nothing at all? Even the Canteen was (supposed to) have a purpose and be consumed/destroyed on occaision for a useful function...

\

Would it be possible to make the reduced ammo optional?

Magnus reduced the ammo in his Fallout 2 mod and I really liked that change. Ammo should be more rare and valuable in the post-apocalypse.

Back