Fallout in CVG top-list

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, May 20, 2007.

1. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Computer and Video Games has been running a feature to determine the top 101 PC games of all time (though it's mostly 21st century). Can't be missing:<blockquote>21. Fallout
    YEAR 1997: A candidate for 'brownest game ever' (along with Quake I and II), Fallout was also an intricately written jaunt through sex, violence, drug addiction and hulking green mutants in a world where the bomb has dropped. Gripping storyline, strong characters and even a few Monty Python references if you looked hard enough...</blockquote>Number 1 is Deus Ex. Other notables include Morrowind (#4), Oblivion (#13) (Ooh, aren't we controversial? Yes, but constant bickering among the PCZ team has left the Vvardenfell lobby victorious. The argument runs thusly: Morrowind is a better game than Oblivion, if only for the things that Bethesda sacrificed in their pursuit of making the latter that bit more action-orientated), System Shock 2 (#7), Baldur's Gate II (#23), Diablo II (#25), V:tM Bloodlines (#28), Neverwinter Nights (#56), Planescape: Torment (#61), S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (#69).

Link: The 101 best PC games ever on CVG (part 4).

Spotted on RPGWatch.

2. MrBumble

MrBumble Vault Fossil

Jan 17, 2006
    Another wrong and TOO LONG list... :clap:

3. DirtyDreamDesigner

DirtyDreamDesigner Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 15, 2005
    I'm glad Vampire is there, it's really an underrated game that deserves to be in these kinds of lists (even if they are mostly bullshit).

4. Harahvaiti

Harahvaiti It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 4, 2007
    look at the position of oblivion or battlefield 2.... :lol: :lol:

5. Sorrow

Sorrow So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Feb 9, 2006
    I boycott all lists that don't place Fallout on first place.

6. Jesterka

Jesterka Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Mar 16, 2006
    Top 20 without Far Cry, Mafia or StarCraft? #61 Planescape Torment? :shock:

Another useless list (usually very funny to read, though), but decent Fallout success looks good in every situation.

Same opinion.

7. Hellion

Hellion Antediluvian Lurker

Jun 20, 2003
    Fallout might have ended up 10 or more places lower than that if Bethesda was not in development of the third. But anyway.

8. Nim82

Nim82 It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 5, 2007
    Meh, stupid list. Both FO1 & 2 should be higher, with at least one of them in the top 10. They also rank Uplink higher than Total Annihilation for heavens sake.

Glad they have recognised Morrowind is better than Oblivion - but it's a pity they decided that long after they reviewed it, what's the point of being critical when the horse has bolted? If they (and others) had panned it as it should have been, sales would have been hit - and who knows maybe Beth's next game would be an improvement. PCZ are nothing but fanbois these days.

9. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    QFT

10. Role-Player

Role-Player A Smooth-Skin

Dec 21, 2003
    Haha, Neverwinter Nights ahead of Planescape: Torment. Idiotas.

11. Bahir

Bahir First time out of the vault

May 11, 2007
    What a bad list... Planescape, Fallout 1 & 2, BG II that low?! Do the people making these list just select games at random or what?

12. Morbus

Morbus Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 16, 2006
    OMG! Where did these guys learned to think?! Leeme guess: nowhere...

MW #4, BF2 #9, GTAVC #11, Oblivious #13... No StarCraft... :seriouslyno: No Planescape... :seriouslyno: No Arcanum... :seriouslyno: OMG! Those guys could jump of a bridge no one would care...

I still like the place where CoH stands, but there are some many many better games...

13. Vault 69er

Vault 69er Water Chip? Been There, Done That

May 3, 2007
    BLASPHEMY

14. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Vaultie, your sig cracks me up.

Anyways, I never take these lists seriously - games are too diverse of a medium to be rated with a single matrix.

15. joora

joora First time out of the vault

May 5, 2007
    So many great adventure games so low-ranked. Also, Starcraft is very badly ranked, that game should be in the top 15 in all the combinations.

16. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    Heh, since Blizzard have made it public that Starcraft 2 is in development a lot of people suddenly seem to focus on it.

17. taxacaria

taxacaria It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 18, 2005
    No Arcanum, no Jagged Alliance, no Wizardry, no Krondor, no Daggerfall - but Oblivion and Morrowind. I'm surprised that Fallout is in such a list at all. Deus Ex wins? ROFL.

18. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    Hello taxacaria,

Do remember that this list was probably made by people who never played any of the games made before Windows was released.

I would be surprised if they actually knew DOS.

19. taxacaria

taxacaria It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 18, 2005
    Arcanum : windows
    Jagged Alliance 2 : windows
    Wizardry series since VII - gold : windows
    I'm glad they're knowing that there are pcs, not consoles only.

20. Excessive

Excessive First time out of the vault

Aug 1, 2006
    Completely agreed. Any list without Fallout at #1 is worthless. It is the best game ever.