Fallout: New Vegas 2 - Some Chris Avellone Twatter Q&A

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Proletären, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Proletären

Proletären Vault Fossil
    Staff Member Admin

Mar 15, 2012
    Here's some bonus:

• [Rad] [Rad] x 5
  2. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Knog Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005
    Bethesda ruins things again.

3. JunjiItosGio

JunjiItosGio Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 29, 2020
    "Bad guys don't win" - The same Bethesda who made the Nuka World DLC where you either join the raiders and do all their quests and eventually conquer your own settlements (you're forced to if you want to continue the DLC) or miss out on literally every quest the DLC has to offer and just shoot up the park until everyone is killed. (That's the only "good ending")

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  4. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    lol Bethesda fucking shit up again, I'm shocked.

5. namad

namad First time out of the vault

Aug 7, 2006
    My take on a fallout new vegas 2 was always that it would be set in california either before or after the events of vegas. Show casing either NCR's rise to power, or their disintegration.

I thought there was even a fanmod with this setting maybe?

Although yeah I'd settle for any obsidian fallout game, I think one problem fo3 and fo4 had development wise was that they wanted to implement as many new gameplay features as possible, whereas falloutNV was given a functional toolset and asked how to make it creatively entertaining. Which is rather a different ball of wax.

I don't really ever see it happening though without microsoft interfering because bethseda almost destroyed obsidian maliciously in the past.

Not entirely sure why bethseda rejected obsidian's overtures to make up and work together again. Something else must have gone down, because it's odd that bethseda screws over obsidian and then bethseda holds a grudge against obsidian over it.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  6. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Nov 26, 2007
    My guess is that Bethesda offered them a calculated chance to [hopefully] fail, and instead they raised the bar; they won't be doing that again.

7. william dempsey

william dempsey Veteran of the psychic wars.

Jan 23, 2022
    People want to change.Another game touted was ' Outer Worlds' which among other things was about dressing up. When they start selling drugs online........ sorry mentats kickin in

8. Aurelius Of Phoenix

Aurelius Of Phoenix Psued.

Mar 9, 2018
    I think a Fallout game set in the Yellowstone region would be pretty interesting.
    Years ago, while visiting the Yellowstone National Park, I had some pretty deep feelings evoked by the sites there. Like the old faithful geyser steaming river and the Supervolcano reside in the National Park.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  9. eissa

eissa Artanis "Altáriel" Nerwen Nos Finwe

Jan 7, 2016
    It can't be "New Vegas 2" without incorporating actual Vegas as in the game. Make it somewhat like Fallout 2 you know, Shady Sands still there in the world but just very on the edge. Now it would be fun to make this possible sequel set in the area somewhere between Colorado, Arizona, and Utah. And then there is option to either import your save or emulate your choice like the same one in Pillars of Eternity 2.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  10. JunjiItosGio

Oct 29, 2020
    I keep saying this, but I don’t think a majority of people who say “New Vegas 2” actually mean a direct sequel to New Vegas, just another West Coast Fallout developed by competent people. I’m sure there are people that are stupid and want it literally, but “New Vegas 2” went by a lot of names in the past including that Fallout New Orleans bullshit rumor everyone was fixated on.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  11. Risewild

Risewild Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  12. Proletären

Proletären Vault Fossil
    Staff Member Admin

Mar 15, 2012
    And that's what Chris Avellone is saying as well:

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  13. JunjiItosGio

Oct 29, 2020
    It’s funny seeing people clamor for a “New Vegas 2”, because it goes to show even those who grew up with only the 3D Fallouts and never played the originals find the West Coast more interesting than the East.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  14. Golbolco

Golbolco It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 12, 2015
    A little while ago I wrote a pitch for a Fallout Yellowstone game. The general idea was that the park was left mostly untouched by the war, leaving humans as the active element of chaos and bringing the wasteland into a relatively virgin land. It's probably out of date, but here's the link anyway.

15. Gizmojunk

Nov 26, 2007
    They should acquire the use of the Gulf 76 logo; or parody it.

gulf-2.jpg Gulf-1.jpg
    Gulf-3.jpg

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  16. eissa

eissa Artanis "Altáriel" Nerwen Nos Finwe

Jan 7, 2016
    I am not sure why that it is neccesarily bad idea on its own. It is already done when Fallout 1 was getting its own sequel. But sure, name calling it with whatever.

17. Black Angel

Black Angel Grand Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus

Mar 21, 2016
    As long as a new Obsidian Fallout is going to take place chronologically *after* the Second Battle for Hoover Dam, it is going to be a sequel to New Vegas. Saying that it's gonna be 'bad' just means that people are too much of a pussy to embrace the possibility that maybe their preferred endings (and even headcanons) won't become true. I do say that Fallout 2 and New Vegas itself did a good job establishing what's 'canon' in their respective predecessors, so maybe we can look forward to what we'll be getting. As long as it's not as infuriating as Harold's fate, or some fucking alien city under the Mojave...

Having said all that, I wouldn't trust the modern day Obsidian because from what I can feel from them, they've radically changed from what they were since Pillars of Eternity. I haven't actually played their games other than New Vegas, but what I got from others impressions is that despite being notorious for releasing buggy, glitchy, and unstable games (truly an unfair reputation to have whereas Bethesda got away scot free, even Failout 76 couldn't quite manage to knock them down as it supposed to), they were genuinely trying to push the boundaries of RPGs and even gaming in general. Having questionable management also didn't help, and with most of the more trustworthy talents abandoning the ship...yeah, I can't see a new Obsidian Fallout which could possibly be at least as good as New Vegas + DLCs. Hell, I wouldn't even trust Old Cain, who's obviously not as energetic and confident as Young Cain. Especially not after this: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-a-better-rpg-seven-mistakes-to-avoid.114809/
    Sure, #4 to #7 all makes sense, I guess. But that first three 'mistakes', especially Mistake #1. It still makes my blood boils.

Even if we ignore Cain and Boyarsky for a moment, I really wouldn't trust a new Obsidian Fallout without John Gonzales.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  18. Gizmojunk

Nov 26, 2007
    #1 was the most irksome for me, but #2 was shockingly bad —and... well #3 & #4 were disappointing to hear from him. :(

I do not want a roleplaying game based upon those principles; Tim's principles. :(

The problem as I see it is that they are desperate enough (or deluded enough) to adapt a profoundly niche activity into —something— with mass-market appeal, but at the expense of the activity itself.

It's like trying to dupe kids into eating broccoli & Brussels sprouts by making them out of marzipan.

faked.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  19. Risewild

Risewild Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Apparently, the Lead Level Designer of Fallout New Vegas just resigned. This is another thing that doesn't bode well for a theoretical New Vegas 2 from Obsidian.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  20. JunjiItosGio

Oct 29, 2020
    Josh Sawyer resigned??