Fallout TV series - Set photo

cratchety ol joe

Mildly Dipped
X7mIM0J.jpeg

I hate this, it genuinely looks like a set of a 1940's / 50's dystopia, I see NOTHING that tells me this is set in a sci-fi (pulp or otherwise...) future 200 years ahead of our time.

Heck, the most sci-fi thing I see is what appears to be a lighting or camera telehandler from the crew...

My hatred of what has happened to the IP has reached new heights.

On a positive note - It looks EXACTLY like Failout 4 (or zippidy-stix) so, well done to the folks in set design or art dept for that I guess.

They are clueless about the IP... that or they are ruthlessly warping it to align with a perceived popular misconception. There were game reviewers who actually thought the Bethesda game was set in an alternate 1950's
bonk.gif
, and I assume that many players might also think that.

It's a real shame what the totally disrespectful and unconcerned new studio has done to the IP, but it's long since been the norm (since Bethesda anyway; they did it first). It's now an expected and predictable abuse repeatedly done to the IP and its fanbase. They drag everything through the mud and ruin it. Some of them don't care, and the rest don't know any better. Fallout is set in the world of tomorrow, not some bombed out yesterday.

One could almost wish that Mr. Musk would buy the IP to take it out of incompetent hands and entrust it to a team with better intentions, and a better understanding of the IP's point and premise.

Last edited:
I mean aside from our knowledge from other set photos leaked that this show will heavily feature Bethesda‘a ugly Fallout 4/76 Jetsons/Futurama art style, this is specific shot of a what looks like some countryside backwoods gas station is fine I guess. I don’t see what they couldn’t crammed in this photo to make it look ultra futuristic or dystopian aside from maybe super high gas prices.

I wonder where the show will be set though. I really hope it’s in West Virginia after Fallout 76 that way they could do whatever the fuck they want and it’ll be on Bethesda’s side of the world and specifically in a game region where they do literally anything they want anyway.

That yellow structure in front of the garage doors looks like one of those power armor crafting stations from 4. And it looks like a Jawa is standing in front of it.

Are people honestly suprised that it looks like a Bethesda Fallout? Because of course it does and that's because those are the games the majority of people have played and thus those people think that's what Fallout is supposed to look like.

You bet if it actually looked like the 50s predicting the future like the first two games, Bethesda fans would be saying that it didn't looked like Fallout. Because Bethesda changed the artstyle to look like the future but with 1950s aethestic instead of the aformentioned 1950s trying to predict the future (there's a difference because the latter doesn't look like the 1950s in any way).

X7mIM0J.jpeg

I hate this, it genuinely looks like a set of a 1940's / 50's dystopia, I see NOTHING that tells me this is set in a sci-fi (pulp or otherwise...) future 200 years ahead of our time.

Heck, the most sci-fi thing I see is what appears to be a lighting or camera telehandler from the crew...

My hatred of what has happened to the IP has reached new heights.

On a positive note - It looks EXACTLY like Failout 4 (or zippidy-stix) so, well done to the folks in set design or art dept for that I guess.
Get used to it.

If I had to choose between Mad Max or this I would choose this.

Are we sure that is everything that will be in the shot though? There maybe be other stuff added in with effects. It does look like something you'd see in my home town. Just replace the 50's cars with early 2000's ones.

Get used to it.

If I had to choose between Mad Max or this I would choose this.
Choose based on what? Just looks alone? Cause yeah I'd probably go with this over Mad Max too. Way too many things have aped the rust and punk raiders and dust dust dust of Mad Max and I'm kinda tired of it.

Uhh yeah that is all we have to go on. I am speaking generally to NMA at large:

Either you get Mad Max which everyone does or you get this 50's shit which these fucking nerds are crying about but is rarely done in film. FUCK OFF. That is my response to the crying about 50's shit. This is not THE VIDEO GAME. Use your brain to detach from what you think it should be and try to enjoy something marketed towards you. Or don't whatever you will still watch it.

Yeah I mean that's a good point right there, "this is not the video game".
I like Deadpool, I read the comics, loved him until they ruined him.
However, I don't care for the film. I watched it and as I did I was like "no, this isn't what Deadpool is like, this isn't what happened" and so on.
And this is something that dawned on me a long time ago but Deadpool is a great direct example I can use that it isn't even remotely canon.
This Fallout tv show, even if it is a good tv-show it isn't made for fans, it is made for a wider audience.
Just like any DC or Marvel adaption.
So let's say Fallout never got ruined by Bethesda and stayed strong and we saw that a tv-show would be made, would I give a shit? Nope.
Cause it isn't canon.

Either you get Mad Max which everyone does or you get this 50's shit which these fucking nerds are crying about but is rarely done in film. FUCK OFF. That is my response to the crying about 50's shit. This is not THE VIDEO GAME. Use your brain to detach from what you think it should be and try to enjoy something marketed towards you. Or don't whatever you will still watch it.
Whining about complainers doesn't make you look any better.

And if people want to criticize it based on the look, it's their right and none of your fucking business.

Shit, you are about as bad as the Bethestards complaining that fans of the old Fallout games don't like the new games.

Last edited:
Yeah I mean that's a good point right there, "this is not the video game".
I like Deadpool, I read the comics, loved him until they ruined him.
However, I don't care for the film. I watched it and as I did I was like "no, this isn't what Deadpool is like, this isn't what happened" and so on.
And this is something that dawned on me a long time ago but Deadpool is a great direct example I can use that it isn't even remotely canon.
This Fallout tv show, even if it is a good tv-show it isn't made for fans, it is made for a wider audience.
Just like any DC or Marvel adaption.
So let's say Fallout never got ruined by Bethesda and stayed strong and we saw that a tv-show would be made, would I give a shit? Nope.
Cause it isn't canon.

Agreed.

Let us look at most video game adaptations as a guiding light and say "Even if Bethesda did not own this it would not be what you want since you all are way too obsessed with the video game while they wanna make something that everyone is gonna watch" or something like that. It is not all about you and your Mad Max fetish. Go watch Mad Max. Fallout 1 was Mad Max sorry but that is all it was. Mad Max with fucking mutants and ghouls which...ya know they stole from movies. Nothing original at all....until Bethesda turned it into a 1950's fetish with science fiction shit. Wow they did something actually positive because now Fallout the TV show WILL NOT FUCKING LOOK LIKE MAD MAX.

*breathes in bag*

Tell me I am wrong.

*breathes in bag*

*passes out*

Also, who the fuck is doing Mad Max shit these days? The last one was in 2015, 8 years ago, and that was after the last one was in the mid 80s. No one is doing Mad Max stuff these days.

Also, who the fuck is doing Mad Max shit these days? The last one was in 2015, 8 years ago, and that was after the last one was in the mid 80s. No one is doing Mad Max stuff these days.
https://people.com/movies/furiosa-everything-to-know/

Fallout 1 was Mad Max sorry but that is all it was. Mad Max with fucking mutants and ghouls which...ya know they stole from movies. Nothing original at all.
No. During development the artists had Mad Max playing in the office on infinite loop, but they also took inspiration from City of Lost Children, The Forbidden Planet, A Boy and His Dog, and others.

The setting is not a future post apocalyptic 1990s like Max. The history is wrong, and the physical laws of reality are wrong—in Max they are plausibly normal. Fallout's reality is bent to the fear and expectations of the atomic age, and the atom bomb. It's a GURPS fantasy future. It's the expectation of 50's pop culture; easy livin' through the wonders of technology—bombed into the remnant hellscape of a once golden age; complete with edible mutant toes [F2], B-movie monsters, and people turned into freaks by the radiation (and other unknowables) caused by the war. And no working cars. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Yeah, a sequel to the movie that came out 8 years ago and literally nothing else. I don't know what this meme is of "everyone is doing mad max" but it's wrong.

Also, Toront saying Fallout 1 was just Mad Max is wrong and moronic. And an even dumber claim because some people here weren't even complaining about the show not looking like Mad Max, because last time i checked Mad Max isn't the 50s trying to predict the technology of the future.

Last edited:
I don't think Toront means an explicit Mad Max installment, but like whenever someone does post-apocalypse stuff everyone is wearing leather and driving big cars in a desert. Fallout being 50's designed like a grounded Futurama sets it apart I guess.

Yeah, I see Toront’s point about Mad Max being the definitive post apocalypse style, here are some completely different media’s takes on the post apocalypse, some even used for jokes:

E18A2D53-1D09-409A-8BB2-41AF8E3BB574.jpeg

BC6E440A-BA96-428B-A842-0F322580FA36.jpeg

DDAAAF17-82BC-4A64-BFAE-D597358EAFCF.jpeg

810E2461-83A7-4A93-AAAF-A95FDA992DAC.jpeg

58F1FF2B-8DB3-4FAB-B7F4-2D138A888B2B.jpeg

I wouldn’t really say Bethesda made Fallout look more original by hamming up the 1950s stuff in F4/76 though, it’s still Mad Max except the pre-war country looked ugly now.

If I’m going to give any credit to originality when it comes to the post apocalypse in media, I’d have to say the most original and creative take I’ve seen on the post apocalypse is that show Adventure Time. When the show started it was like this generic quirky fantasy land with fairies and goblins and candy people and as the show went on you’d catch glimpses of shit like this:

A6DA8DF9-B9FE-4E30-AB12-F5F32E40B0B3.jpeg

The show came out when I was a kid but I didn’t finish it as I grew out of cartoons a bit while it was still running. I do believe later in the series though it goes more into detail about the end of the world and shit like that with episodes taking place during the (what looks like) nuclear war. I remember being taken aback though when I first started to realize the show was set after a Great War and the fantasy shit were a lot of the time products of it.

Last edited:
Back