Fallout: Van Buren Worldbook (FINISHED - Map and PDF inside)

Hi. I'm Johhny Boy. I played John Priestly in Atomic's game, and since its been over a year since he passed I wanted to come on and say a few words.

I say without a doubt that he was one of the greatest GMs I've ever played with and I've been religiously playing TTRPGs for 5ish years now. He was brilliant by all definitions of the word, he was great at storytelling, player management, and had an unbridled passion for his craft. He was also a wonderful friend, we shared many laughs throughout our time together and had blast after blast.
One of my finest memories of him was our first meeting. We had gotten together for a session 0, it was short. Only Clover and I did any real talking, one prospective player dropped and one barely did any talking (the one who dipped very early in the game). So after Clover left for the night, Atomic and I stayed for like 2 hours afterwards, just talking about the system he had created and how much damage unarmed builds did (more than a fat man on average.) I recall one joke that always cracked him up was "Oh you meant to make a Fallout System? Sorry you just recreated DBZ."

We talked about the system constantly, I'm a mechanics nerd just as much as I am a role-player. This lead to me eventually creating this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PktV5vOtH-rIr-8tVbOfhMbMw5qx8xPoShTi455EzBk/edit?usp=sharing
It's a supplement for the rules intended to add combat stealth and allow you to go for instant kills. It also added some perks and a new trait. It was made to add more depth to combat (because well RPing as the spy from TF2 is very fun) and to add some more perks because the only real compliant I had with the system is that it needed more perks and build options. So I was trying to fix that. It was very much in early draft phases, still not being fully functional. Atomic and I were planning to finish up the core mechanics the day he passed. I wasn't able to meet up with him. Anyways,

Atomic was a great man. I'm glad I was able to meet him and I'm considering finishing the rule book. Adding some more content too it and cleaning up a few weaknesses I see in it. Let me know if anyone is interested in that. Also I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has about the campaign from a Player's perspective.

RIP Atomic, Gone but Not Forgotten

Ooops, I read Jonny boys entry as 2003, a 20 year old dig up. maybe I was loosinating.

Last edited:
Right, I meant the name only, that’s my bad on the phrasing of my question.
No I don't think so, if memory serves the name was only chosen to avoid any confusion with "The Res" from Honest Hearts (which also plays into Hecate's story). And don't quote me on this, but I think AP also used the name Rebirth for his adaptation of the Reservation in his Fallout Texas setting (he re-used a lot of ideas from Van Buren in that setting, many of which ended up getting transferred to the Van Buren setting)

Good call on moving the starting point from Junktown to Sac-Town. Aside from the geographic proximity, there was something a little too just-so about having the characters go from JUNKTOWN to SCRAPHEAP. Now of course there is some sense to that lore-wise, given in the demo I believe Junktown is mentioned, and obviously all the thought that went in to the original creatio n of Scrapheap was "Let's do a tinier Junktown for the demo." But it being further afield is probably the best "canon" approach. Ditto on Jackals.

Love to see the updates. I'm planning on running van Buren late this year when my group finishes the current module we are on.

That's awesome. Sounds very cool overall, I can't wait for later this year when my current game ends and I can start up the PnP with the group. How are you finding the combat to play?

Very fun! I've heard that it's a bit numbers crunchy, but I think it's a fair system. Using a d100 to reflect the video game-like skill system is pretty genius and definitely gets players with low Small Guns/Big Guns/Melee/Unarmed skills interested in investing more skills points into them. It also makes critical hits or failures in combat feel extra special. I will say though, you're gonna have to go all-in on map making, whether you're at a table or on Roll20, as the system is a but too complex for theater of the mind. As a new DM and DnD player, I enjoy making maps and combat encounters. Here are some that I made for the Yosemite Cipher village:

View attachment 28084 View attachment 28085 View attachment 28086

My players who are all high school friends of mine and as new to DnD as me actually preferred combat in these Fallout sessions than my failed Forgotten Realms campaign.

Great maps. What program did you build them with?

Glad to hear it flows well, I was worried it would be too much of a meat grinder.

Hey guys, Van Buren starts this Tuesday if all goes according to schedule. To celebrate, I wanted to share the intro I wrote then cobbled together and will be playing for my players at the start. The video is audio only. Enjoy!

If you have trouble following the audio, I’ve provided handwritten subtitles.

the first half of this rules, great selection of clips, and the transition into Prisoner of Love rules. Personally not so crazy about the Ron Perlman - nothing wrong with the script, it's just so obviously AI which is made the worse by the length of time it goes on. A little late now, but I would make the actual narration a bit quicker. Still, it's really cool

@Hardboiled Android I have a few questions.
I don't want to systematically go through the discussion thread right now, so I'm just checking a few things and otherwise going off memory, but in the discussion thread you'll definitely find some detail and rationale that's left out of the worldbook.

I would note - in addition to being able to read how AP ran Grand Junction in this thread, I believe he also ran a one-shot of the 215 Vultures quest as a test-run, which I believe is also contained in the discussion thread. Might be some good info in there.

Are you running a session tomorrow?

Is there a reason given for the Santa Fe wanting the Golden Spike? It says it will restore honor to their clan, however it doesn't detail why exactly this artefact would make up for the death of Jukebox and Lulu's child other than Jukebox also having an intertest in it.
Pretty confident in my answers for this one since it was my idea.

The reason for the spike's value is because it is a real world artifact, the final rail spike in the Transcontinental Railroad that tied the west and east of the continent together. It's in some sense the single most important artifact in the history of American trains. Given that it was driven one state over from the Iron Lines, it seemed appropriate to me that they had an intererst in it, so I suggested this as a quest for that clan.

The artefact doesn't have some specific value, it's just a spiritually significant item - a totem, it has a lot of mana in it. It's not specifically meant to make up for the death of the kid - indeed, the death of the kid isn't the reason the Santa Fe are weak, that's just the cause of one of the latest feuds. The Santa Fe are just smaller and less powerful than the others, but if they had an uber-powerful totem like the Golden Spike with all of that good juju, it would gain them a ton of respect with the other clans.

I would note - it is by far the least practical of the Grand Junction quests, since it actually requires you to go one whole state over, probably do a ton of other stuff in the process, and then come back. It's not out of the question, but it strikes me as unlikely that many parties would actually want to do that. A consequence of my suggestions to AP often being over-grandiose for a PnP campaign.

Is the Hobo Oracle some kinda Psyker or is he an actual fraud?
It's a vague thing, but he's basically a real psyker. He more or less predicts the arrival of the Player Party, and he more or less predicts the 215 Vultures kidnapping. Again, it's a vague thing, should be kept a little coy, but basically he really has some power of forethought, albeit very weak and foggy. Or maybe he's just crazy, or a fraud, you can bounce between the three. If the players seek any consultation with him, my advice would be for his prophecies to be referring to real things they will encounter in the campaign, but indecipherable to the players in advance and not actually providing any useful information. It's basically just a spooky thing.

I'd also let you know in case you're unaware that the Hobo Oracle is ripped straight from the rail nomads in Wasteland, and indeed hi predictions in that game really do vaguely refer to locations/events in the game.

https://wasteland.fandom.com/wiki/Hobo_Oracle

Is there a name for the child that died with Switch? I don't see one, so I'm just going with Little Circle.
I don't think there was one. Can't say that's the name I would've picked for them, but if that's the name then that's name.

There doesn't seem to be a way suggested in the world book to unite all three clans again, I assume it would be hard to do after Bourbon nearly gets some of the Santa Fe's children killed. Is there more about Grand Junction I can read about? I'm loving the location, but it feels kinda empty compared to others. I'm making a lot of stuff up to fill gaps.
So a few things here:

I'm not really sure that disunited is the right way to describe the clans, and I'm not really sure that it makes sense to speak of uniting them "again". The fussin' and the feudin' is sort of the point of the social order. They get mad at each other, get in disputes, make drama, but it's been that way for as long as anyone can remember. Conflict ebbs and flows, when the Player Party arrives conflict is at a high point and things could fall apart, but it's probably not the first time. They try not to kill each other (though that probably happens when feuds get out of control, and then have to be reigned in by the Brakemen), and they probably have some capacity to unify in the face of outside threats (but it's contingent, depending on both the threat and clan relations). They almost certainly marry each other: Though I don't think this was ever discussed, the point of clans in most tribal societies is to manage kinship and descent, with marriage being between clans (and governed by all sorts of obscure and incomprehensible traditions and rules).

Generally - tensions grow between the tribes over little things, someone stole a beer, someone triggered a rabbit trap, someone flatualted on our side of the camp, etc etc. People get more tense and resentful, one tribe sides with another. People start picking fights over minor slights, boasting. Then something semi-big happens, the tribes really get to brawling. Things get out of control, someone gets hurt too bad or someone steals something too big, and whatever tribe is more in the wrong (as recognized in objective fact, and as agreed to by a majority of the clans, in this case 2/3rds) has to make amends with gifts to the offended party. Things are OK for awhile, and the cycle starts over again. This is the universal cycle of tribal life in any culture.

Now, you see a problem with the fact that Bourbon nearly gets the Santa Fe children killed, however it is precisely the opposite. This was again a suggestion I had made. I suggested to AP the concept that someone organized the kidnapping to teach the Santa Fe a lesson. I further suggested that, if this were exposed, it would bring great shame to the Atchinsons and the Topeka, and they would be forced by guilt (and their common tribal identity) to assist the Santa Fe in saving the children rather than leaving them to fend for themselves, and probably the Atchinsons would have to make further amends with gifts down the line. This would restore tribal relations to a "harmonious" state, but of course it's temporary, so long as the group remains tribal these sort of petty dramas are going to continue to cycle.

So, to summarize: Bourbon's guilt, if the players can sus it out, is the ideal solution to the problem - though if they find some other way to solve the problem (like killing the 215 Vultures), it's probably not the end of the world.

If by uniting the clans you mean something more long-term and involved, like end slides, I have some ideas. I should caution that it's honestly probably not worth worrying about this stuff too much - Grand Junction is a tutorial location more or less, not somewhere the players need to spend a tremendous amount of time. I think AP made this note to some of my grander ideas for the location. That said -

As I conceived it, the conflict between the three clans can be seen through their differing perceptions of the idea of the Big Rock Candy Mountain. All think of it mystically, but precise interpretations differ: The Atchinsons, as the most powerful and with the most prestigous, locate it in the glory of the mythic past. The Topekans, as the most practical but also the most aware of the local area, believe it to be somewhere in the near-by region, up in the mountains. The Santa Fe, as the most destitute and with the least prospects for achieving their hopes, have a slave morality and see it in the most spiritual way - "The Kingdom of Heaven is within you" and all, we can build the Big Rock Candy Mountain right here, right now, we don't have to look somewhere else.

With this in mind, here are the "ending slides" I would suggest. These of course don't take anything else into account in the Wasteland, and of course these aren't "canon" or anything, but hopefully they should give you some idea on how to play tensions and drama.
  • "Boys, I'm Not Turning - Give the Golden Spike to the Atchinsons, repair John Henry, don't expose Bourbon. The Atchinsons decide to decamp for their old homeland with the help of John Henry, but leave the other clans behind. The Topeka are absorbed into surrounding peoples, but the Santa Fe are reduced to slaver.
  • "Come With Me, We'll Go And See" - Give the Golden Spike to the Atchinsons, repair John Henry, expose Bourbon. The Atchinsons decide to decamp for the old homeland. The other clans, bound by their common identity, go with them, out into the great unknown.
  • "Streams of Alcohol" - Give the golden spike to the Topeka, improve the stills, don't expose Bourbon. With some very fine hooch, the Topeka build trade networks with surrounding people. Unaccustomed to the strength and quantity of their hooch, Iron Line culture become easy influenced by other cultures who break them out of their tribal lifestyle and set them towards "modern" labor. A clan feud over the loss of identity ends in the destruction of the Atchinsons.
  • "Lakes of Whisky" - Give the golden spike to the Topeka, improve the stills, expose Bourbon. With some very fine hooch, the Topeka build local trade networks. Though some of their culture is lost in the process, the unified clans carefully coordinate to preserve some measure of their identity.
  • "Fair and Bright" - Give the golden spike to the Santa Fe, expose Bourbon. The Santa Fe focus on building up Grand Junction, abandoning old-fashioned hopes while still charting a course for the future. Grand Junction eventually becomes a power in its own right, the Iron Lines a true nation.
  • "The Jerks That Invented Work" - Give no one the Golden Spike, or give the Santa Fe the Golden Spike without exposing Bourbon. As the years pass by, the Iron Lines decline, their primitive ways and disunity no match for a changing world. The Iron Lines become a foot note in the history books.

Indeed I am, the broad plan for tomorrow's session was for them to meet the Santa Fe, get into a night celebration with alcohol, and wake up the next day to the 215 Vultures quest (I planned on changing it from having it happen prior to the party's arrival to the morning after the party to add some drama to the party waking up to panick).
As you may know, this is actually how AP actually ended up running the encounter in his campaign.

Ahhh okay, this is makes a lot more sense factoring in their culture. I was under the impression that Wrench was going to offer the Golden Spike to Jukebox as some kind of apology gift.
I suppose he could - perhaps that's how the Santa Fe would squash the beef in the case that the player gives the Golden Spike to the Santa Fe but doesn't expose Bourbon, so the Atchinsons end up with it. It's PnP of course so I'm sure you'll play it by ear and as things develop.

I realize this, my main goal in introducing this quest to the party isn't necessarily to make them go hunting for it immediately, but rather to introduce new map markers for them (Denver and Salt Lake City specifically, the map will be worn and torn with the possibility of the party finding other or better condition pages in other corners of the wasteland).

Their current map:
View attachment 28187
Well that was exactly my intention in introducing the Golden SPike quest, and it was also why I suggested the possibiity that some Topeka might identify the Big Rock Candy Mountain with stories they'd heard of the Boulder Dome, to get players adventure hooks in Great Salt Lake and Denver.

Ah gotcha, yeah I planned for Hobo Oracle's predictions to be similar to the handcart blind man from "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

Yep, exactly the right way to play it.

Good session! Creative thinking to propose John Henry as a means to escape the Four Corners altogether, but I suppose Red Menace is going to burst their bubble about the prospect of it being quite that simple and re-shift their focus to the other Prisoners.

Very cool stuff. My own Van Buren campaign's been on hiatus, but I was working on a player's companion website (hosted with Cloudflare Pages) for it. Nice to see you got it going, keep us updated on any side quests or travels they get on!

Really cool stuff! I was just thinking last session how it would be cool to have some kinda website companion tool to keep track of inventory and stats without having to manage and save new PDFs.

Thanks. I just got tired of updating a .png copy of the world map I was using with new locations and decided to step it up. I also wanted to kind of emulate those old interactive game maps you'd get from guide websites.

Ah man that's unfortunate. I hope I don't have to pause or end the campaign anytime soon, but of course that's completely out of my control. I very much think we hit the nail on the head with scheduling though. Even with 6 main campaign players, one of whom is in California whereas the rest are in Florida with me, we found the
"g-spot"
for availability, as my friend put it..

Yeah, I've just been busy with jobs and juggling my university work between that, and some of my players have also been busy the last year or so. We started around late 2022, had a small pause 2023, then sessions til a break around late 2023. I've been experimenting with what Chris Avellone did in his original Van Buren tabletop and think when everybody's free begin a "second group" from some other friends and players that've sounded their interest to roam the wastes in competition with the main cast of 13s. I really like the concept of each group affecting eachother in some way and reuniting them towards the end would cause some really interesting conflicts and scenarios.

This week's session was delayed, but in the next one they're gonna be in for a horror show with Denver.

When my main cast of players went into city ruins (SLC, Denver), in the early stages of the campaign, I'd usually play a short clip of the Caretaker's Hell Sirens to wake them up and alert them to combat (explaining it off as old Civil Defense systems being woke up by Uncle Sam to detain the Prisoner 13s). It always scared the shit out of them (even in the text-based sessions!). For me, it was a great way to introduce them that Uncle Sam was actively pursuing them with whatever means he could, even by activating 200 year old sirens alerting bots to their presence (and whatever strange bedfellows were in the blocks nearby, like mutants/scrappers/bandits, etc).

Sounds like they're bound for some trouble next session. I have to ask, though

Furthermore, Uncle Sam has resumed construction on the war machine known as GUARDIAN, deep within the Van Buren Prison’s core. When construction is completed, which Red Menace estimates will take about half a year, GUARDIAN will stop at nothing to track down all Prisoner 13s runners amok, capturing or killing them by any means necessary, ravaging everything and everyone in its path in the process.

Did you swap BULLMOOSE to GUARDIAN?

I will say for the record that I'm pretty sure BULLMOOSE was the final name settled upon, but of course you're free to change it as you see fit. Good thinking pulling from Colossus.

I will say for the record that I'm pretty sure BULLMOOSE was the final name settled upon, but of course you're free to change it as you see fit. Good thinking pulling from Colossus.
I love the name BULLMOOSE. I wanted to ask you if you knew how burst fire worked? I get that you roll to hit, then roll a seperate d100 and for every 25% success you hit again, and the 2nd burst fire roll is a straight roll with no modifiers attached. Does that include DT? Is the first shot the pistols damage or is it all the SMGs damage?

I love the name BULLMOOSE. I wanted to ask you if you knew how burst fire worked? I get that you roll to hit, then roll a seperate d100 and for every 25% success you hit again, and the 2nd burst fire roll is a straight roll with no modifiers attached. Does that include DT? Is the first shot the pistols damage or is it all the SMGs damage?
No idea sorry, wasn't really that into the mechanics side of things.

Back