Fallout 2 mod Fallout: Yesterday

I just discovered that the hi-res mod massively drops FPS in areas with lots of animation going on. Going back to the original resolution restores the FPS to normal, even when all of the running animations are on the current screen.
Have no clue why is that happening or how to fix it but just wanted to give a heads up for people coming back saying that the mod is running slow for them.

I just discovered that the hi-res mod massively drops FPS in areas with lots of animation going on. Going back to the original resolution restores the FPS to normal, even when all of the running animations are on the current screen.
Have no clue why is that happening or how to fix it but just wanted to give a heads up for people coming back saying that the mod is running slow for them.

First off. in ddraw.ini set: SingleCore=0 instead of the default SingleCore=1
next set: OverrideArtCacheSize=0 instead of OverrideArtCacheSize=1
Finally: go to fallouty.cfg and in [system] section set: art_cache_size=512 .

OverrideArtCacheSize=1 overrides & forces 256MB of RAM into your art_cache_size= . Due to certain maps (worldmap for example) beeing OP large You need more graphics cache than 256.
Fallout2 can go as high as 1024MB for graphics cache. But I wouldn't do that since you'll be left with only 1024MB of memory adress space, since Fallout2 executable has "no" 'Large Adress Aware' flag set, hence it's virtual adres space is 2GB and not 4GB on a 64bit system.

[RANT]
Anyways Last time I've tried Fallout:Yesterday I've encountered shitton of crashes mostly viewing crafting recepies ( due to Mr.Fixit Issues it normally crashes to [text going beyond window borders, no picture, or picture going beyond window boarders, etc.] ) and holodiscs. So I gave Up. However the slowdowns were the first thing I've tackled, since I always tend to think that anyone that has the brains to *find* and *install* & *consider playing* a mod for Fallout 2, usually has enaugh brains to configure the game himself correctly..

well whaddya know Guess not :p

However, Now That I'am still recovering from my illness from january (non-covid related), I'd say I still have some time to do some betatesting for F:Y, before going back to Sonora translation team (untill, I recover fully that is). So If You do have some time to quickly tackle the bugs I find, and quickly porvide fix for those issues, I'd be more than willing to test.

Anyways cough.. *Jebus* cough.. *Chrust* it's 2021 does anyone seriously consider to release a gane in 640x480 resolution?!
I'd say aim for the bare *minimum* of 1920x1080, and perhaps also half of that value for people weirdos who first played Fallout on a 17" CRT, and love their game to be pixel carnival.

[/RANT]

Anyways I'm <word for applause> , that You devoted Yourself to making this mod and are bent on completing Your work into tip-top state. but please don't make any weird decisions like cutting HiRes support..
I do mean it when I say I'm willing to assist you with the bugs for a time, You just need to react to the bug reoprt consistently.

OK I'm off to the dinner table for now..

Anyways cough.. *Jebus* cough.. *Chrust* it's 2021 does anyone seriously consider to release a gane in 640x480 resolution?!
I'd say aim for the bare *minimum* of 1920x1080, and perhaps also half of that value for people weirdos who first played Fallout on a 17" CRT, and love their game to be pixel carnival.
Yes, high resolution is highly desirable (hexer, please! =). But now in what kind of permission in Fallout - here it is more convenient for someone. Personally, it is more pleasant for me when the resolution of the game is 1280 x 720, if more - everything is very small.

I don't have the manpower to convert 450 maps to high resolution format. Unless maps have their edges properly setup, they look like shit and I'm not putting my name on that.

When I enable HIRES 1920x1080 as you suggest, the game runs at 3 to 5 FPS. Completely unplayable. Where can I file a bug report for that? Nowhere, because Mash never released the source code and is MIA since 2014.

First off. in ddraw.ini set: SingleCore=0 instead of the default SingleCore=1
next set: OverrideArtCacheSize=0 instead of OverrideArtCacheSize=1
Finally: go to fallouty.cfg and in [system] section set: art_cache_size=512 .

I'm already shipping the game with OverrideArtCacheSize=0 and art_cache_size=512.
SingleCore=1 will be changed in R4 to SingleCore=0 but that didn't help with the FPS drop.

R3 ships with "Large Adress Aware.exe" but I was informed by NovaRain and Mr.Stalin that it won't help at all.

I do mean it when I say I'm willing to assist you with the bugs for a time, You just need to react to the bug reoprt consistently.

You are aware that I'm working on this game every day? How can you write that I'm not consistently reacting to the bug reports when I have thousands of items on my TODO list? Who sets the priorities for the project, a person on the forum or the main developer? I fixed over 100 bugs still present in the latest Fallout 2 unofficial patch. The amount of work that needs to be done on this game is incredible. This game is 3 times the size of Fallout 2.

I need to focus on finishing adding all the content into the game and then we can test and fix the bugs until the end of the world. Early Access releases shouldn't be treated as if they're a final game.

Last edited:
I don't have the manpower to convert 450 maps to high resolution format. Unless maps have their edges properly setup, they look like shit and I'm not putting my name on that.

When I enable HIRES 1920x1080 as you suggest, the game runs at 3 to 5 FPS. Completely unplayable. Where can I file a bug report for that? Nowhere, because Mash never released the source code and is MIA since 2014.

I'm already shipping the game with OverrideArtCacheSize=0 and art_cache_size=512.
SingleCore=1 will be changed in R4 to SingleCore=0 but that didn't help with the FPS drop.

R3 ships with "Large Adress Aware.exe" but I was informed by NovaRain and Mr.Stalin that it won't help at all.

You are aware that I'm working on this game every day? How can you write that I'm not consistently reacting to the bug reports when I have thousands of items on my TODO list? Who sets the priorities for the project, a person on the forum or the main developer? I fixed over 100 bugs still present in the latest Fallout 2 unofficial patch. The amount of work that needs to be done on this game is incredible. This game is 3 times the size of Fallout 2.

I need to focus on finishing adding all the content into the game and then we can test and fix the bugs until the end of the world. Early Access releases shouldn't be treated as if they're a final game.

Whoahh.. easy there.. sorry.. didn't mean to step on your toes with my post.

Anyways I figured out what's causing me to crash on XL703 Mr.FixIt weapon upgrade. it is caused by launching XL703 upgrade page in Mr.Fixit when Mr.Fixit window finds itself beyond the borders of the map. ( does happen on some small random encounter maps +HRP with high resolution set. (I know HRP is not supported). still XL703 is lacking a proper image in Mr.FixIt Has some buggy image instead (probably the current image goes beyond Mr.FixIt boarders, and when launching on a small map in HRP and boom crash to desktop).

anyways got some questions about the gameplay...

1. I can't seem to find the party NPC the so called Hanged Man.. Is he sepose to be in Reservation? if so where..?
2. I've managed to reach CoS by killing the BoS traitor and extracting the location from his brain, however CoS soldiers attack me on sight either claiming I'm BoS or NCR spy. is there a way to aproch them peacefully? or does one have to fight his way through to get that T-51b Armor?
3.is there a single Chemistry Journal in the game? if so where?

Do you mean the UPU? What bugs are those? Somehow this went completely past me.

Wasn't even aware UPU existed, I meant killap's unofficial patch. That's what I based FY on.
Anyways, the issues I've found so far were incorrect proto values (lots of these), typos, FRM file issues...

Whoahh.. easy there.. sorry.. didn't mean to step on your toes with my post.

I'm getting LOTS of superficial criticism from people who either didn't play the game at all or who played it in a "hacked" way. People have been telling me since last July that the game is running extremely slow with NO ONE telling me they've installed HI-RES patch on their own. I figured the reason by accident a couple of days ago. Wasted so much time investigating their slow issues while they weren't sharing crucial info from me. I feel like an idiot.

Your own rant was based on arguments which were untrue except for the SingleCore=1 setting one which didn't make any difference in regards to HI-RES. I'm not an "mean developer" who doesn't want to add HI-RES patch but someone who can't make it work properly for everybody. If someone figures out the reason for the slowness on high resolutions and helps with mapping out map borders, I'll be more than happy to include it. I've exhausted my own resources on those two topics and would rather work on priority stuff such as the missing Van Buren content.

Anyways I figured out what's causing me to crash on XL703 Mr.FixIt weapon upgrade. it is caused by launching XL703 upgrade page in Mr.Fixit when Mr.Fixit window finds itself beyond the borders of the map. ( does happen on some small random encounter maps +HRP with high resolution set. (I know HRP is not supported). still XL703 is lacking a proper image in Mr.FixIt Has some buggy image instead (probably the current image goes beyond Mr.FixIt boarders, and when launching on a small map in HRP and boom crash to desktop).

Thank you for reporting it, I'm aware of that crash and I fixed it for R4. It's caused by an incorrect dimensions value for XL70E3 inside Mr. Fixit! setup file.
I'm attaching the hotfix here. Unzip it to your data\Text\English\Dialog folder and the crash should go away.

1. I can't seem to find the party NPC the so called Hanged Man.. Is he sepose to be in Reservation? if so where..?
2. I've managed to reach CoS by killing the BoS traitor and extracting the location from his brain, however CoS soldiers attack me on sight either claiming I'm BoS or NCR spy. is there a way to aproch them peacefully? or does one have to fight his way through to get that T-51b Armor?
3.is there a single Chemistry Journal in the game? if so where?

1. You need to get rid of Caesar's Legion first inside Fort Abandon. Then go inside the Oil Refinery's cafeteria and he'll be there after his recovery.
2. The CoS members became extremely paranoid due to Stealth Boy misuse. There will be a peaceful resolution to them but only when Hoover Dam gets finished.
3. Pretty sure I haven't added those yet, but I might be wrong. Try digging up some graves in FA but don't take my word for it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Yes, you can increase the resolution but the maps weren't built to support that.
Nah, I'm good, I will play in the low res modus.
I'm super happy to just being able to play this, so again, a BIG thank you!

People have been telling me since last July that the game is running extremely slow with NO ONE telling me they've installed HI-RES patch on their own.
I used the Hi-Res patch on my own and I never got slowdowns, Fallout: Yesterday run perfectly for me (although I haven't left Tibbets).
I think people have slowdowns because they set the resolution too high or just mess up the other graphical setting with the patch.

I assume that I don't have any slowdowns because I run the game on a laptop. So my game's graphics Width and Height are set to 1920 and 1080 (so I can have the game fill the screen) and then I set the resolution to 960x540, so that the game keeps a similar visual to the original resolution.

This allows me to play Fallout: Yesterday filling my entire screen, but with a similar style as the original game. Other resolutions just cause some graphical problems, like text not displaying right, or everything is too small on the screen, etc. It also has the advantage of the maps not looking too weird, because we don't need to scroll the camera too far from the usable map area.

This is how it looks in game:
Graphics size 1920x1080 with a resolution of 960x540:
5K8gjzb.jpg

Here's the direct link to the image, if anyone is interested in seeing the full sized picture:
Code:
https://i.imgur.com/5K8gjzb.jpg
I had to put it on a code box otherwise the site change it automatically to a imgur page instead of the actual direct image.

Last edited:
I used the Hi-Res patch on my own and I never got slowdowns, Fallout: Yesterday run perfectly for me (although I haven't left Tibbets).
I think people have slowdowns because they set the resolution too high or just mess up the other graphical setting with the patch.

I assume that I don't have any slowdowns because I run the game on a laptop. So my game's graphics Width and Height are set to 1920 and 1080 (so I can have the game fill the screen) and then I set the resolution to 960x540, so that the game keeps a similar visual to the original resolution.

This allows me to play Fallout: Yesterday filling my entire screen, but with a similar style as the original game. Other resolutions just cause some graphical problems, like text not displaying right, or everything is too small on the screen, etc. It also has the advantage of the maps not looking too weird, because we don't need to scroll the camera too far from the usable map area.

This is how it looks in game:
Graphics size 1920x1080 with a resolution of 960x540:
5K8gjzb.jpg

Here's the direct link to the image, if anyone is interested in seeing the full sized picture:
Code:
https://i.imgur.com/5K8gjzb.jpg
I had to put it on a code box otherwise the site change it automatically to a imgur page instead of the actual direct image.

That is great to hear, that it's working for you. What I can do is to provide updated UI for HI-RES patch, ship the game with it but leave it at default settings. So if someone wants to enable it they can. If it works for them great, if not, they can turn it off.

the only slowdowns I'm getting are when on the worldmap traveling in mountain area, which is perfectly normal.

Found Hanged Man late at night, after revisiting Fort Abbadon.

So far I'm having a blast.. Haven't felt this kind of refreshment to the game since Nevada came out.
The only sad part is that Sfall-extended 4.2.9 (the one I'm playing with) has some kind of an issue with one of the scripts and neither party control mode 2 nor mode 3 work :(( . I confirmed it to be 'gl_partycontrol.int' that is causing the issue. as reverting back to an older one brought back mode 2 (mode 3 was sepose to work with above mentioned file in it's latest iteration). anyways I've already PMed @Mr.Stalin about the issue, I hope He'll tackle it.
Also checked it was the case with two other TC mods, and it was the same issue.

I haven't seen anybody else post this but there are instances i the game where there are no floor tiles set ( mostly oil rafinery in fort abbadon and certain stripes in BoS bunker ( this is regardless of resolution i set), the effect is that any living critter and the cursor leave traces on the floor, unitl map exit.

Also @hexer
is there currently a way to decrypt stolen pipboys? I've tried oddyseus, but it was in vain

anyways I've already PMed @Mr.Stalin about the issue, I hope He'll tackle it.

Should have checked with me first. I disabled mode 2 and mode 3 works only for Beastlords.

I haven't seen anybody else post this but there are instances i the game where there are no floor tiles set ( mostly oil rafinery in fort abbadon and certain stripes in BoS bunker ( this is regardless of resolution i set), the effect is that any living critter and the cursor leave traces on the floor, unitl map exit.

Thought I fixed all of those. Probably something visible only with HI-RES patch.

is there currently a way to decrypt stolen pipboys? I've tried oddyseus, but it was in vain

The Prisoner will first have to get the quest for that. It's coming in R4.

Should have checked with me first. I disabled mode 2 and mode 3 works only for Beastlords.
This is not a matter of setting Mode=3 in sfall-mods.ini

in 4.2.9 gl_partycontrol script is fucked. I'm in the process of discussing the matter with Mr.Stalin as it affects also Fo1.5:Resurrection (which has offcial NPCs) and also it's the case with Fallout:Nevada which has unofficial party NPC addon mod.
So I'd say it's a much broader issue, than your settings.
Besides as far as I'm aware mode=3 shouldn't work with PIDList=. it's ment to work with mode 1 and 2

FYI: simply adding Hanged Man PID to the PIDList=, does not gonna help to enabling control over him. One needs to have gl_partycontrol.int from previous sfall. from 4.2.8.1 will do.

I'm not sure But I'm betting Haribo jellybean vs a $ that with 4.2.9 Sfall Extnded Beast lord functionality is broken as well, since Mode=3 does not function correctly in Sfall Extended.
it does work however in standard Sfall. ( I can't remember now wether I swapped versions or did R3 came with Sfall Extended).

The Prisoner will first have to get the quest for that. It's coming in R4.

By mentioning 'Prisoner' You mean the time before breaking prison or do you refer to 'dude' in general? in other words is there another way (already built in the game) for cracking pipboy encryption that is found beyond Tibbets?

Sorry for the delay real life got me.

Last edited:
In R4, I will add the "attack orders" mode 3 support https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fo2-engine-tweaks-sfall.178390/page-157#post-4417409

Full control won't go in due to design/story reasons but I assume people will find a way to enable it if the want to play that way.

in other words is there another way (already built in the game) for cracking pipboy encryption that is found beyond Tibbets?

There are some other super-computers out there powerful enough to crack it but they're not yet accessible. All in its due time my young padawan :D

OK, R4 will definitively support the HI-RES mod. Maybe I discover what's causing the slowdowns, maybe I don't. But it'll be there for people who have no issues running it.

OK, I think I discovered what's causing the slowdowns. If HI-RES mod is turned on and your graphic card is 2D or integrated Intel crap, then it will run like a PowerPoint slideshow. Forcing the game to use the 3D card makes it run smooth!

:dance:

Back