Fallout 2 mod Fallout: Yesterday

Off topic but I still would not mind a new 3D engine with the Fallout 1, 2 possible those of Fallout Yesterday, and new assets fitting the universe being made, capable of isometric view and with turn-based/realtime with pauze combat.
Unity and UE4 are free and show pretty good results. We just need a Classic Fallout asset pack.
Project VB looks gorgeus to me.
https://twitter.com/lacko_adam

Are any of the assets for Fallout Yesterday taken from the old Fonline project? Also how long have you been working on Fallout Yesterday? Do you have anyone helping you?

Edit: I have another question? Is using a Patreon legal?

Last edited:
This is right here is an example of a very bad thread. I don't even know where to start.

Let's begin with that there is literally nothing about the game here. It makes it all look like a talkie-talkie project - no screenshot, no video, no concepts, no roadmap, telling what's been done - nothing. Only "Hey guys, I'm making original Van Buren, it is 60% completed! No proof, but here's a wallpaper made using other artist's work with a logo slapped on it! Also, I made a patreon, so gimme mony on dat!". Like, really?

About patreon. I will not even point that it is illegal to charge money on a game using someone's IP. The thing is - patreon is also has nothing proving the development of the game is in any condition.
Oh, wait, it contains post about topicstarter taking authographs from some ex-Black Isle devs. So? How's that relevant?
But no, also there are some screenshots! With really bad art slapped around, literally not matching with any traditional F2 graphics on the same screenshots. And the topicstarter says that the game is in development since 2013. As the screenshots, I suppose?
And at last, there's post about work started! On a worldmap. Worldmap! Really? Do I literally need to google it for you? The design docs of Van Buren has been around since a beepin 2005! What are you working on?
And the stretch goals for patrons! Look, they are there! "Another hard-working developer will join the team, if there's 500 patrons". What the beeping beep? What's that even mean? How many are there now? I would go with one.

So, let's talk about engine change. If you'll look into the design docs, you'll see that there were supposed to be 13 skills, opposing to 18 in Fallout 2. They are also were supposed to work quite differently (for example, there were persuasion and deception). As you are going to jumble around the F2 engine, I will never believe that you are capable of fixing that - because I've seen people messing with engine and what became of it. I have no ground to think that you are capable of doing so. But okay, let's suppose that "remake the Van Buren on F2 engine" is not about the mechanics. But... why are we talking then?
Another example, if i recall correctly, there are beeping giant robot crashing the walls of a Tibbets prison in the prologue (or something like that), and you are suppose to encounter him later in the story. How do you plan on making that work? Do you know how F2 engine deals with really big sprites? Did you do any research what it would take?

While not proven otherwise, I will stay convinced that this so-called project doesn't exist. The 7 years period is big, especially when working alone, but in any case, you should have something by this point, except the words about the engine change. Alpha, locations, roadmap, info about what's been done and what's not, challenges, issues, screenshots, placeholders, anything. Believe, I know what I'm saying.

Take a look at Fallout: Nevada, Fallout: Resurrection, Olympus 2207, or recent Fallout: Sonora. Beautiful games, a lot of passion and hard work put into each of them. There are people who sat their beepsses off and did their beeping job, not talking about it, not asking for beeping money for literally beeping nothing. And what bugs me the most, that these people deserve to be given that money! The insanely talented BlackDesigner, the main dev in Nevada band, has a hhhuuuuuuuuuuuuge beeping issue about taking donations for a beeping mountains of work he did, because of the IP stuff. And it was a long time and a huge amount of people, I'm not beeping kidding, hundreds of them, to convince him to accept SOME donations in SOME form. Just LOOK AT THIS GAMES! LOOK AT THE GRAPHICS, MECHANICS, STORY, EVERYTHING! And look at yourself! STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING WITH PATREON, GO BACK AND DON'T BEEPING COME BACK WITHOUT A ROADMAP, VIDEOS, PROTOTYPE OR BEEPING SOMETHING ELSE THAN THE BEEPING WORDS!!

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
That feels a little harsh...shouldn't we give Hexer the benefit of doubt. It isn't the easiest game to work on, the engine is older than my mum...building locations is the easiest factor, scripting and storytelling will be the most delicate factor to get right. The design docs have been around for 15 years, but actually crystallizing that vision is no easy task. The previous version of this project had lots of eye candy (in game shots), I'm sure he will show the fans what's been built.

As for Patreon - I fucking hate that company, but people are free to give to whoever they want, for whatever reason they see fit (who was that stupid bitch selling bathwater?)...as for BlackDesigner, he is not a normal human, he is one of the extraordinary ones, the kind of superman that makes the impossible possible...

Well, I wouldn't put the words like that either, but I'd be lying if I say I'm not thinking similar. Just look at the posted screenshots on Patreon - they are all old. Pretty sure it's all stuff we have seen before, but I'm too lazy to check right now... Also I don't really care all that much.

But yeah. It really isn't that convincing to me.

The patreon thing excluded, I think Keyboard Gecko's post is a waste of time. I didn't go to patreon and don't want to but is there really people who gave money to a unfinished modding project? If so, it's their problem, that's all there is to say.

The rest of his\her comments on the project itself are simply a waste of everything. I guess someone who donated money would be in title to demand things, but otherwise, asking to see proof or pulling successful mods as counter examples is, well, a lot of things that would be a waste of my time to describe. A modder isn't in any obligation whatsoever.

Hexer, if you don't mind my advice that will be the only one on your project, because it's yours, not mine, Keyboard Guecko's post has some 'credibility' because of the patreon's thing. Take it down or suspend it until if and when you release.
If you have specific expenses related to the project, then that's a case where you need to show something indeed, and explain yourself, or better yet, you don't spend any money, you save the work that may cost you money until your game is playable, and relatively complete. Don't put any obligation or pressure on yourself, in other words, and money's things are doing just that.

Off topic but I still would not mind a new 3D engine with the Fallout 1, 2 possible those of Fallout Yesterday, and new assets fitting the universe being made, capable of isometric view and with turn-based/realtime with pauze combat.

Almost all 3D assets for Fallout Yesterday are hand-painted! I first just do a render at the angle I want and then prettify it .. or uglify it to say more precisely! It's the same method T-Ray, Gary Platner and Brian Menze used most of the time.

Are any of the assets for Fallout Yesterday taken from the old Fonline project?

Yes, all of the assets from the old FOnline project are saved and used. Nothing is lost.

Also how long have you been working on Fallout Yesterday? Do you have anyone helping you?

In late 2013. I started working alone on the game but was soon joined by 75 other Fallout fans from all around the world who helped in any way they could. I left the project in late 2014. but never gave up on it.
I regularly made posts on my status about it at RPG Codex so I'm surprised people have been talking that it was dead for good.

During that time I spent 2000 hours working on the game while working on a full-time job as well.
We ran into technical difficulties with FOnline's engine so from what I know almost no progress was made ever since.
But I didn't waste any time - I learned and worked hard as a both game programmer and an artist to develop my skills even more in the last 6 years.
I even bought a mocap suit in 2018. so I can create custom animations easily.

Edit: I have another question? Is using a Patreon legal?

I'm not selling the game, it's for good people who want to help me - making games costs money!

Well, I wouldn't put the words like that either, but I'd be lying if I say I'm not thinking similar. Just look at the posted screenshots on Patreon - they are all old. Pretty sure it's all stuff we have seen before, but I'm too lazy to check right now... Also I don't really care all that much.

But yeah. It really isn't that convincing to me.

What is not convincing? That I spent 2015. - 2020. working in Unity and Unreal engines?
I just restarted working on this after 6 years, you will be convinced in my progress.

Lots of angry words

First of all, I knew sooner or later some bitter person like you would pop in and take a crap all over this.
Remember that you're pissing on Black Isle Studios' grave here - if you want an eternal spot in the CRPG Hall of Shame, you've got it.

It's not that you have an issue with my game, but the fact I have setup Patreon for it.
I see you didn't understand what I wrote so far. Let me clarify it in bullet points:

• I'm not charging for the game, it will be free for everybody including you. Good people donate a few euros to help me on this journey. They are angels, I love them and am humbled by them.

• I have a roadmap for the game including Early Access plans - but I'll share those plans with my patrons because I want them to be actively involved with the development. All my career as a software developer I have worked on big projects alone, that's how my life turned out. Even when I was a 19-year old kid, I released a 13-hour mod for NWN in 2003., did an interview about it, got players' and reviewers' awards and even won an award for Bioware's NWN contest. Where were you back then ... oh right, you were learning how to spell Fallout 2 Editor.
  • Tim Cain, Chris Avellone, and T-Ray Isaac have seen the screenshots you piss on in 2017. at Reboot Develop in Dubrovnik, heard what I was trying to do back then and gave me their advice, feedback and good wishes for my efforts.

Tim Cain never heard of FOnline or cvet until I told him that very moment and he was happy to hear people like his work so much they emulated Fallout's engine. I talked with him about The Outer Worlds and player psychology back then and had to keep my mouth shut because they didn't even announce it back then. T-Ray, the lead Fallout artist, praised my artwork. Chris Avellone sent me emails with additional missing info on Van Buren's plot and background lore. He spent time talking about all of it with me in person.

Unlike you, they were kind and friendly to me. If you don't believe me I met them in person, I'm attaching Tim Cain's business card he gave me back then in case I have any questions about Fallout or games in general. I censored his email, phone and fax. Thank you, have a nice day.

ZTGp0jb.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like you didn't read my post.

I'm posting here not to beep beep over someone for no reason.

This is what I'm trying to say:

As soon as you will start putting SOMETHING related to actual WORK DONE ON PROJECT - I will shut the beep up and tell you that I was wrong. Will donate to support the development.

But all you putting here now is WORDS. And. No. Job. Done.

And while it stays like that - you don't deserve a) money on patreon, b) attention you get.

---------

Also, you did not address any of my tech points given in that post. Only my personality.

Bro what the fuck I literally woke up from cryosleep when I've seen this thread and had to plug in again, had to scrape the password from the bottom of my skull to get in...what is going on, what timeline is this? Are you really from Dubrovnik? Only some crazy Balkan lad would be able to pull off a trick like this, shit is high as JET! Apart from the million other questions that I have buzzing and hiving at the back of my brain, am I to understand that when you say you are going to bring back Van Buren in Fallout 2 - you mean exactly that - bringing back VAN BUREN suited up in Fallout 2 engine/graphics, right? This is what you mean? Right? And don't mind me rambling, I'm just trying to break through the barrier of disbelief, it is as thick as the radioactive silt in Boneyard bay. What I'm meaning to ask actually is, does this bringing back include the reactivity Black Isle had in plan for Van Buren? Presper and all that jive? His party being one step in front of player's party and PC catching up to him, both parties affecting the world with their actions? How are you going to make this work in FO2? You are going to get Boulder, Bloomfield, Cyphers, Preserve, Denver Dog City, all that jazz onto the world map? Fort Aradesh and that faithful +1 only "one way trip" at the story's finale, taking off to the "final frontier"? Am I getting this right? A bit of clarity please before I get an aneurysm from all the excitement. And I don't care that grumpy cynical naysayers think you're out to grab a quick euro or two and think it's bullshit, I believe you. Godspeed you beautiful bastard.

Last edited:
Are you really from Dubrovnik? Only some crazy Balkan lad would be able to pull off a trick like this, shit is high as JET!

Haha I'm not from Dubrovnik but my parents are from Sibenik.
But I don't live there, I live on the coast of one beautiful ocean :)

What I'm meaning to ask actually is, does this bringing back include the reactivity Black Isle had in plan for Van Buren? Presper and all that jive? His party being one step in front of player's party and PC catching up to him, both parties affecting the world with their actions? How are you going to make this work in FO2?

All of the answers to your questions are YES but I'll give you more background regarding this question.
I discussed it with Chris Avellone, especially since Presper is described as the "Smartest Man on Earth" so the player has to see that in the game right? Even if the player is a World-class Genius himself.
And while he didn't provide me with an absolute answer, he gave me LOTS of information about his personality which helped me decide on the best way to implement Presper & Co's meddling in terms of game's code. Presper is a hard foe to go against.

Godspeed you beautiful bastard.

This is the coolest nickname I ever got xD

When I read the news that the hexer was resuming his Van Buren project, I immediately believed that this time he would complete the project. I have a modest income, but from 1 euro per month I certainly will not go poorer. But, even if suddenly the project is never completed, I will not be angry with the hexer that was wasting his money on it. After all, I made my little contribution to the game that we all deserve.
P.S. sorry for my google-English)

ohh Hexer is back!
nice surprise :) hope you can see this endeavor to the end!
I would love to see VB in FO2 Engine.

How true are you going to stay to the VB storyline?

Back