Fallout 2 mod Fallout: Yesterday

Hi nak50 and thank you!

The error you're getting indicates something's wrong with your sfall installation.
How did you install the game? Did you install any mods or copied over the game files into an existing Fallout 2 installation?

In any case you can fix this by opening ddraw.ini, finding this setting and changing it to this

Code:
EncounterTableSize=49

Went into ddraw.ini & found the setting, but it was already in there as you'd written. Another idea?

Gave FO Y a spin today, here are my results. FO Y will load and play as instructed, however the intro videos cannot be watched, the audio for them does play. I fixed this by copying the four d3dx9 files from a Restoration patched FO2 folder into FO Y. FO Y itself is horribly laggy. FO2 with the lastest Sfall from the Restoration project is buttery smooth by comparison. Any way to get FO Y to run on the Restoration version of Sfall?

- I may be wrong, but shouldn't the robots encounters (Argos/pursuing robots) start with a dialogue window, where we can peacefully surrender to them and return to Cellblock 13 or tell them that we won't comply and then fight will start?

That sounds interesting, but what when we come back to prison? Escape from other prison level? Like Richard B. Riddick ;)

I'm curious, when we get new release? In this year?

Yes, we will escape again. As I said, I may be wrong, but I though that Odysseus will relentlessly pursue the player until the player reaches a certain point in story.
I'm not hexer, but I'm pretty sure that a ''full'' version will take several years.

Yes, that's how it was in the design documents. The robots task is to bring you back to the prison, however the ai is unaware of the huge hole in the wall... so the player can always just walk out again without much troubles.

I very much like the fact that we start with a shiv (fits prison well). What do you think of lowering it's AP attack cost from 3 to 2? It would allow even 5 attacks per turn and (probably) make it more interesting or even worth keeping. After escaping it's rather easy to find sharpened spear, which has way better damage and extra range, but... 5 regular attacks or 3 aimed attacks seem tempting too (especially with player-popular crit build).

The plan is to give it the Weapon Penetrate perk.

- Stealing should be made much harder (it's probably OP - imho it should require at least 70% skill to be somewhat reliable)

I'll look into it, sounds like something's off.

- I may be wrong, but shouldn't the robots encounters (Argos/pursuing robots) start with a dialogue window, where we can peacefully surrender to them and return to Cellblock 13 or tell them that we won't comply and then fight will start?

That was done on purpose as it is plot-related, but yeah, the player should at least have the opportunity to offer his/her surrender.

It would be cool if robots would drop some scrap (maybe usable in crafting?)

Yes, that's already been planned for!

- Maybe there could be a brass knuckles somewhere in prison (thinking of pure unarmed characters)

There are but aren't easily obtainable since they have to be smuggled out from the vault of confiscated personal items.

Maybe - just maybe, because I'm not sure - the Mysterious Commander/soldiers should treat ghoul/supermutant players differently? Curiosity/racism? Don't mind it if you already thought about that!

Yes, that will be added in the next update. This release has only a few reactions to race.

Do prisoners know about tribals and gangs?

Prisoners have no idea where they are.
I could imagine a conversation like that in Tibbets :'D

Haha definitively!

Went into ddraw.ini & found the setting, but it was already in there as you'd written. Another idea?

From what I understand you copied over fallout2.exe from your disc? The fallout2.exe version that works with sfall is US 1.02d. Can you confirm that? If you don't have that exe, you can grab it from a patch here https://nma-fallout.com/resources/official-and-unofficial-1-02-fallout-2-patches.57/

Gave FO Y a spin today, here are my results. FO Y will load and play as instructed, however the intro videos cannot be watched, the audio for them does play. I fixed this by copying the four d3dx9 files from a Restoration patched FO2 folder into FO Y. FO Y itself is horribly laggy. FO2 with the lastest Sfall from the Restoration project is buttery smooth by comparison. Any way to get FO Y to run on the Restoration version of Sfall?

Are you using an old installer version? The new installer has videos in MVE format which play for everybody.
RP version of sfall is 6 year old and FY requires the latest one. Nothing I can do about it.
But why is it laggy? What is your hardware/OS?

I'm curious, when we get new release? In this year?

Yes, the new release is on its way!

Yes, we will escape again.
Yes, that's how it was in the design documents. The robots task is to bring you back to the prison, however the ai is unaware of the huge hole in the wall... so the player can always just walk out again without much troubles.

Maybe ;)

Sorry for the late reply. here's the save data if you want to look at it.

Thanks for the save game. I just tested it and have good news.
And (maybe) some bad news.

When I tried it on the first release, I also got a flickering screen.
However the flickering screen is gone when I try it on my local latest version.

I haven't touched anything there so I assume it's related to the fact all the files in the first release are packed into DAT files.
Will verify the theory once the next release gets ready.

As for the bad news, I have no clue why Tibbets disappeared but will look into it.

Also, your save is incredibly laggy for some reason. I'll have to look into that too.

Last edited:
Just don't put anything into .dat files anymore. It's just more (useless) work for everyone involved.
Also I have mixed feelings about you shipping all Fo2 assets, because that's blowing up the file download size for no reason at all.

@Arran Lawley I had to edit your save game to fix the issue with disappearing Tibbets. Also managed to fix the flickering issue you had and that resolved the lagging too. Just replace the files on your HD from those in the fix.zip

Attachments

HiRes Patch v4.1.8 for FY [adaptation by Foxx]

! Graphic artifacts on the maps themselves were not edited.

34030a31d817398f8f336bfa583d9068.png
f62c2f14f57d4d990ab7d7f293cd0341.png

Mod version with installer (R1)
  • hi-res 4.1.8 + edges by Foxx
  • sfall-e 4.2.6 (by Mr.Stalin)
  • inventory filter plug-in 1.6.2 (by Mr.Stalin)
  • sfall configurator 1.2.7.0\1.4.9.0 (net 2.0\4.0) (by Mr.Stalin)
  • F12se 10.05.2020 (by Vad)
  • installation to root directory of Fallout 2 or subfolder mode (Lexx method)

Last edited:
If that's the only issue you're having, I'll gladly help there and fix that in the next version
I think. this is not a problem, we are waiting for the next version\release.
Also, you need to put down blockers so as not to go through the boxes/walls.

I was trying with wine and FALLOUT2.EXE from GOG version and (attached screenshoot)!

Attachments

• 2020-08-12-142547_630x471_scrot.png
    2020-08-12-142547_630x471_scrot.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 468
Back