Fallout2.exe Patcher

The mod is wonderful, thank you! I've been away from the Fallout for a while now, and couldn't help thinking is it possible to get the editor work with the version 1.05 somehow? Would it be possible to use "do-it-yourself" tactic? I'm not familiar with modding tho :?

So...is this utility dead or what? The only game stopping bug I ran into was the terrain turning black/hall of mirrors effect in certain maps (Haunted farmhouse is the first example). I really hope the Patcher wasn't abandoned.

AFAIK it was :-p

But in the long run we hope to provide a better Fallout engine with FIFE. It does already support large resolutions although the whole project isn't anywhere near finished so you'll need to wait a serious amount of time till it will be ready to compete with the Fallout engine:

Mad Max RW said:
Looks like "FIFE" is just about dead.
Lies, traitor!

Seriously: we're going through some hard time at the moment but I guess this won't be the end of the project. But at least the progress in the next weeks and prolly months will definately decrease.

After the whole ianout PR disaster, I thought it would be right to let the community know if we got into problems :-)

I've found nothing regarding this question in a forum search, so I ask:
Is it possible to add other resolutions to the mod?
I'm interested in 1680x1050, my native TFT resolution.
1080p to play it on a HD-TV would be nice, too.

I know these are widescreen resolutions - are there any plans to support them?

Nice work, I love it, 640x480 on 22" isn't endurable...

When I try to use 1024 resolution, when I enter the temple proper at the beginning of the game, the red hex cursor leaves trails behind, and the game screen (apart from the monsters) are pure black. Did I set up something incorrectly?

This forum needs a search in thread option.

I had the same, black screen/pointer/trails, problem when I tried to run the game normally and with the patcher after reinstalling Fallout for the first time in ages.

I got the unpatched game to run after following the useful stickied guides on this forum. 800/600 resolution, 16bit colour, setting fallout2.exe to Win95 compatibility.

I think I had the same problem with the patcher though. Must have not set "something" correctly..

*UPDATE* : Got it working fine at 800x600. Dropped my colours to 16bit. Set the .exe that the patcher generates to win95 compatibility, disabled visual themes and advanced services.

**UPDATE 2 ** : Upon arriving at the ghost farm I encountered the same black screen/ ghosting pointer error. Generated a new patch at 640X480 with same compatibility checks an d NOW it's running like a dream..
:D

Works fine on 1.02 UK with 800x600. Any bigger resolutions and i get the black screen bug with trails. However: Many thanks for doing this and botherin to improve F2 even further. Hopefully FIFE will live up to its expectations. Again, thank you :)

ssgeneral said:
Works fine on 1.02 UK with 800x600. Any bigger resolutions and i get the black screen bug with trails. However: Many thanks for doing this and botherin to improve F2 even further. Hopefully FIFE will live up to its expectations. Again, thank you :)

You've got a really good point there, while these exe hacks are really great we are basicaly stuck with a lot of limitations of the hard coded engine. I think until FIFE is at a level where people can play a game from start to finish we will continue to hit the fallout2.exe wall.

Is anywhere patcher for BIS mapper? It could be good to build edit maps in higher resolution :)

Damn, spoke too soon. The game crashes at The Den, after finding out what`s guarded at the church. When I try to return to the west side of town the --> ctd. Cant get past that without unpatched Fallout.exe either. Shit.

Could it be the resolution patcher for mapper2.exe?
This could be much easier to build maps in higher resolution.

Yes, it is. Timeslip's tweaks allow for higher resolutions, but the image is just stretched so it looks exactly the same. Unfortunate that this patcher was abandoned, the game looked so much better even at 800x600 resolution.

Kyuu said:
Yes, it is. Timeslip's tweaks allow for higher resolutions, but the image is just stretched so it looks exactly the same. Unfortunate that this patcher was abandoned, the game looked so much better even at 800x600 resolution.

Well, hopefully someone could continue working on it. Maybe the graphics upgrade team wouldnt mind taking up the challenge?

Back