Fauna, Flora, Factions, and Facilities of the Wasteland

For your rewrite of Fallout 3, I think having a major storyline for Talon Company could be cool. Talon Company is vying for control of the Capital Wasteland, They are battling and defeating Raider Tribes, and absorbing warriors from conquered Tribes into their ranks, Commander Jabsco views himself as some military dictator,

Funny you say this because in my Fallout 3 rewrite, Talon is my replacement for the Enclave. In my universe, Talon is made up of descendants of the Department of Justice including the FBI, DOD, BADTFL. They come from Vault 79, a vault in which all the gold was transferred to from Fort Knox before the war in the event of apocalypse. Basically this Vault's objective was to kickstart economy in the post-war wasteland should all be lost, and therefore on the East Coast, caps are not the currency. Before Vault 79 opened, traders used a mix of postal stamps and raw materials from The Core (New York City) as currency backed by the Webcenter out of what used to be Albany, New York, as well as coal and iron ingots backed by the Wagoneers of Morgantown. When Vault 79 opened, however Talon introduced the Treasury Note backed by the gold in Vault 79 and started a booming economic takeover as they also sat on the wasteland's biggest armory and weapon schematics, essentially becoming the Gun Runners of the East. By the time of my Fallout 3, Talon is definitely the main antagonistic force, and is powerful enough to attempt a takeover of a lot of big settlements to form a New World Order of sorts under them.

Last edited:
@Post-War Tribal

Some mutant ideas for Montana to accompany the fanastic Mutolark and Whooper:

Grizzly Beast
Grizzly Beasts are skinny mutated Grizzly Bears who've shrunken in size, growing only to the size of an adult human, but rapidly evolved a unique defense mechanism: back spikes made of sharp protruding bones to ward off attacks. They like to eat small rodents and fish as well as mutfruit and black hawthorn berries. Very territorial.

Bear.png

Spindler
Spindlers are large Black Widow Spiders. They grow to the size of radroaches, which is coincidentally one of their favorite meals. They're known as Spindlers for their unique back pattern which looks like a spindle and of course their silk which some tribes use to incorporate into their clothing.

Spider.jpg

Kangaroo
Kangaroo are not exactly as the name implies. They aren't the Australian marsupial herbivores we know today, rather they are radiation induced mutated jackrabbits that have grown long legs but retained shorter arms, thus forcing them to hop around on twos. They live off the post-war flora such as fruits, vegetables, and even mushrooms. While their arms are shorter than their legs, they're by no means useless and their claws can do harm to those that corner them. Kangaroo are female.

Jackalope
Jackalopes are male sex of the kangaroo above. Their key differences are the stag-like horns they grow and their arms which are as long as their legs. They are the protectors of kangaroo and their young, usually accompanying the kangaroo while they gather food.

@Post-War Tribal

Grizzly Beast
Grizzly Beasts are skinny mutated Grizzly Bears who've shrunken in size, growing only to the size of an adult human, but rapidly evolved a unique defense mechanism: back spikes made of sharp protruding bones to ward off attacks. They like to eat small rodents and fish as well as mutfruit and black hawthorn berries. Very territorial.

Spindler
Spindlers are large Black Widow Spiders. They grow to the size of radroaches, which is coincidentally one of their favorite meals. They're known as Spindlers for their unique back pattern which looks like a spindle and of course their silk which some tribes use to incorporate into their clothing.

Looking good! Really digging the Spindler concept. Also the Griz' being smaller kinda reminds me of a Japanese bear attack story I heard a while back. I've been busy in rl the past couple of days. But I should be getting more time to write the next couple of days time.

@Post-War Tribal

Grizzly Beast

Spindler

This is all well and good, but is the deathclaw still top of the food chain as it rightfully should be?

I'm working on a list(also) of potential creatures.
(Bears)
- American black bear, Ursus americanus
- Brown bear, Ursus arctos
- Grizzly bear, U. a. horribilis
(Canids)
- Coyote, Canis latrans
- Gray wolf, Canis lupus
- Domesticated dog (Canis lupus familiaris)

(Felines)
- Canada lynx, Lynx canadensis
- Bobcat, Lynx rufus
- Cougar, Puma concolor
(Birds)
- The whooping crane (Grus americana)
- The western meadowlark (Sturnella neglecta)
(Reptiles)
American bullfrog
Snapping turtle
I've thought about introducing a variant of the Deathclaw that is unique to the region but I haven't really fed the thought any further than that.:razz:

Last edited:
Good, scorchbeasts are cringe

I think in terms of a new mutated creature, they're actually pretty cool. I know a lot of people just equate them to Skyrim dragons and I suppose it's true, but I think they could be really cool enemies if tweaked a bit. What I would do is:
  • Shrink them down to the size of New Vegas' Cazadores. Scorch Beasts are based off the Pygmy Bat, which are fruit eaters. I'd imagine there are no fruit trees big enough to sustain it's size in the post-apocalypse. Even if they are insect eaters in lore, I'd argue they're still too big compared to the size of the mutated insects of the wastes who could escape them easily.
  • Remove the Scorched aspect from the creature, rename it something like Screech Beast. I personally don't care much for the Scorched Plague and hate how it just magically apparates Scorched when it attacks you. I do like it's main attack of just screaming at you though, thus Screech Beast.
  • Make them nocturnal. Would make them much scarier, only coming out in the dark.

Concept I came up with talking to @The Dutch Ghost about his Texas setting.

Space Apes

Houston, the Drowned City, haunt of salvagers, fishermen, and masked merchants from the haunted lands of N'awlins. Peaking out of the endless mire are steel and stone skeletons, gothic and art deco corpses of the Old World. The denizens of the Drowned City make their homes and camps in these towering islands, but be warned - if you see a campfire burning bright in the night in one of these ruins, its tender may not be human.

Not far away from Houston was the United States Space Administration's headquarters, center of American starfaring for over a century. On its grounds was a large colony of chimpanzees, raised from the earliest days of space travel for testing. The colony has been maintained, both for space-related testing and more general experimentation. Following the war, a troop of chimps escaped. In a world nearly devoid of humans, they were able to survive by scavenging. They migrated to the ruins of Houston and have been there ever since.

The chimps are clearly not the same as wild, pre-War chimps. For one thing, they tend to stand on their hind legs a lot more often. For another, they use tools with some proficiency albeit rudimentary ones - spears, clubs, hammers. Tools in need of fine motor skill are largely beyond them, but salty scavengers will swear up and down that they've seen some of the wiser ones toting shot-guns. They do build fires, though not in any complex way - they usually just gather a pile of dried vines and garbage, and then repeatedly smash a power cell or microfusion cell until it explodes.

They seem capable of planning, setting up ambushes for unweary humans. They do not seem to have speech, mostly screeching at each other and humans, but a keen observer may note subtle movements of their hands. They have queer cultural customs, setting up shrines to apparently random objects - cigarette machines, Mr. Jangles dolls, Cat's Paw magazines. The apes leave 'valuable' objects (broken glass, distinctive rocks, energy cells) at these shrines in adoration, and will viciously defend them from any human interloper. Elderly chimps will come to these shrines and wait for death, leading to an accumulation of skeletons and mummies. The oldest and most elaborated of these shrines often center around objects bearing the distinctive seal of the USSA (much to the chagrin of the Signal-Listeners).

How exactly these chimps have taken a step up on the evolutionary scale is unclear. It would seem obvious that radiation played some role. Many speculate that there were pre-War experiments to boost their intelligence so they could be used for labor. Perhaps these are unholy human-ape hybrids, a warrior species of humanzees to destroy the ChiComs. More boring commentators postulate that their modest intelligence simply came as a result of selective pressures of living in a testing facility, and the accumulation of community memory thanks to the gift of sign language, allowing chimpanzees to build an actual culture.

These are speculations for the ivory tower set, however. Those humans who dwell in the Drowned City know Space Chimps only as an implacable enemy, savages with no desire to ever be at peace, and maneaters to boot. Indeed, the chimps have no compunction about eating men, though men are more than happy to return the favor - the chimps are not human, afterall. The chimps are valued as curios, jesters and colosseum fighters. The masked voodoo traders put the greatest value on chimps, paying top dollar for a live one to be exported back to the menageries of Louisiana warlords; though they're more than happy to by their hides, paws, or meat instead.

Conflict is never-ending between the humans and apes. As more salvagers and fishermen come to the Drowned City, the number of chimps has dwindled. Their eventual extinction looks to be a certainty, unless some benevolent wastelander manages to decipher their crude hand-gestures.

I don’t have a document written up or anything, but I’ve had an idea for a fire-worshipping raider tribe/cult for a while now. I like the idea of post-apocalyptic societies/religions arising from radically misinterpreted aspects of the pre-war world, so these guys would model themselves after pre-war firefighters. Though of course, they’d believe these ancient “Fire Men” were gods that once walked the earth, whom eventually burned the world down as punishment for not properly worshipping fire, subsequently abandoning humanity for some fiery underworld.

They’d believe that Fire Men created humanity out of ash, and when we die, our remains must be burnt to ash or else our soul will remain trapped forever. As such, they have a habit of ritualistically burning corpses of fallen comrades, innocents, and even enemies they consider worthy of the afterlife. Self-immolation is considered to be among the most honorable things a person can do, an honor that they gleefully extend to human sacrifices captured in raids.

I love all of this!
- This is a way to bring in the shishkebab ("Sword of the Old Gods" or "Sword of Fahrenheit")
- Potential Special Perks and Titles:
- Ashes to Ashes: Because of your cooperation with the Order of the Fire Chief, you have learned how to use ash to hide your self from unfriendly eyes. (New crafting recipe, if that's your thing; or a flat bonus to sneak)
- Forced Entry: You've learned the no barrier can stop the Order. (Can use axes to get through locked doors, or bonus to damaging locked doors?)
- First Responder: I don't the way you could get this, but maybe you could craft smoke alarms to distract enemies?
- Quenched: You have snuffed out the Order of the Fire Chief. (Increased DR against Fire)

Just let people use a strength check to open locked doors

That's fair.
I was thinking a door equivalent of the "Ayyyyyy!" perk from Van Buren; but, yeah, it's rather silly for a tabletop setting.

Maybe it can be you always do maximum damage to locked doors?

On the topic of locked doors, it always confused me that Bethesda games have Cherry Bombs, but doesn't let you use it for explosive entry. Maybe I should make a mod of that for FNV.

Just let people use a strength check to open locked doors

Nothing wrong with alternative options though.

Forced Entry: You've learned the no barrier can stop the Order. (Can use axes to get through locked doors, or bonus to damaging locked doors?)

Should be named Here's Johnny. :wink:

First Responder: I don't the way you could get this, but maybe you could craft smoke alarms to distract enemies?

Could be something you learn generally from the tribe if your Sneak or Traps skill is up to snuff.

On the topic of locked doors, it always confused me that Bethesda games have Cherry Bombs, but doesn't let you use it for explosive entry. Maybe I should make a mod of that for FNV.

Nothing wrong with alternative options though.

Should be named Here's Johnny. :wink:

Could be something you learn generally from the tribe if your Sneak or Traps skill is up to snuff.
Yeah I agree about it being a perk I was just saying the mechanics should be you can hack a door down with a weapon

Back