Favorite books / What are you reading?

Tried reading Olive Kitteridge By Elizabeth Strout but damn.. it was so long winded. A nice read but your sentence doesn't have to be a paragraph long.

stiff... why's your biology book one of your favs? Or are you playing the sarcasm card?

I am reading Discourse on the Origin and Basis of Inequality Among Men - Rosseau, which is a amazing book till far. Then I'll begin What I believe - Bertrand Russel.

Currently reading: Carl von Clausewitz - On War.

Figured it was a classic that I should get around to sooner or later.

SuAside said:
How do you like it? I've been thinking about reading that one for a long time.

BTW, anyone willing to read Clausewitz should not miss Sun Tzu.

UniversalWolf said:
SuAside said:
How do you like it? I've been thinking about reading that one for a long time.

BTW, anyone willing to read Clausewitz should not miss Sun Tzu.
Read Sun Tzu a long time ago.

Haven't progressed far into On War yet though, but atm it's mostly fairly high strung and posh language thrown around. Somewhat annoying, at times.

Don't expect any Art of War-like content if you're going to read On War. Or well, maybe the more detailed chapters on tactics will be a bit like the Art of War. Doesn't seem very likely atm though. Reads like a fairly academic essay on war atm (which is what it's meant to be, of course).

I am reading Juran's Quality Control Handbook, 4th ed.

I eat this stuff up, dunno why.

SuAside said:
Haven't progressed far into On War yet though, but atm it's mostly fairly high strung and posh language thrown around. Somewhat annoying, at times.
That's what I was afraid of. I'll still get around to reading it sooner or later. Thanks.

My favorite book of all time is The Great Gatsby. I'm reading The Beach right now, though and that is really good too.

I'm reading some Norwegian litterature, by Jens Bjørneboe, called "Frihetens øyeblikk", roughly translated to "The Moment of Freedom", or something like that.

I just finished reading Everything's Eventual, a collection of Short Stories by Stephen King, and before that, Cell, a novel by the same man. He is a genius, absolutely.

He really shouldn't have eaten that watermelon. I would have found his viewpoint on the rise of Stalin interesting. As an American, he may of actully survived the purges in the '30's to write about it firsthand. Only Victor Serge and Trotsky did, and the latter was rather bitter about it.

I'm currently reading a short book about a person called 'manual'. It's from China, and it lost much in translation. I got it free with my new laptop. :)

Oh, and Doctor Zhavago by Boris Pastenak. It's even more dense than Dickins, and everybody has five different names.

KristofferAG said:
I'm reading some Norwegian litterature, by Jens Bjørneboe, called "Frihetens øyeblikk", roughly translated to "The Moment of Freedom", or something like that.
"Øyeblikk" is literally "eye blink" right? "Freedom in the Blink of an Eye" might be closer if you don't want to lose the figure of speech.

:)

I'm now reading 'Making a Killing' by James Ashcroft (Cpt ret.) about being a merc in Iraq from 2003 to 2006 with Spartan (British + South African ex-military, mostly).

Still haven't gotten through Carl von Clausewitz's On War, but it's a bit stiff to swallow in one go while Ash's book is funny, interesting and pretty awesome. Some wonderful insights on what went wrong in Iraq, without getting all preachy. Plus he's a british cunt, which is good for shits & giggles.

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. One of my all-time favourites. It basically presents the amazing philosophy called objectivism.

sydney_roo said:
I'm reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. One of my all-time favourites. It basically presents the amazing philosophy called objectivism.
Troll.

Anyway, right now I'm reading Fooled By Randomness, which is about the role of chance and self-reinforcing perceptions in market behavior. I love treading the line between econ and psych. :D

sydney_roo said:

Lulz. It also presents what's called existential dread and nihilism. Also it assumes that subjective qualities of humanity are illusions and not important.

Since, subjectivity is like what caused civilization in the first place and stuff, ya know. You can't build a temple for the purpose of just having a shade from the rain.

Back