Favorite books / What are you reading?

I hate Ayn Rand. She's a traitor of the people!

Пролетарии всех стран, соединяйтесь! :roll:

jokes apart, I really don't like her. Her selfish philosophies and her über individualism reach an almost (if not a full) sick degree of selfishness.

SuAside said:
I'm now reading 'Making a Killing' by James Ashcroft (Cpt ret.) about being a merc in Iraq from 2003 to 2006 with Spartan (British + South African ex-military, mostly).

Still haven't gotten through Carl von Clausewitz's On War, but it's a bit stiff to swallow in one go while Ash's book is funny, interesting and pretty awesome. Some wonderful insights on what went wrong in Iraq, without getting all preachy. Plus he's a british cunt, which is good for shits & giggles.
I absolutely devoured Making A Killing, was gone in 3 days.

You really need to check it if you're into action + military + political situation in Iraq. There's a sequel, so I'll try to get my hands on it. According to reviews, the sequel is even better.

Lulz. It also presents what's called existential dread and nihilism. Also it assumes that subjective qualities of humanity are illusions and not important.

Since, subjectivity is like what caused civilization in the first place and stuff, ya know. You can't build a temple for the purpose of just having a shade from the rain.
Whah? Nihilism is developing itself nowadays more than ever before and becomes our every day's reality. It also negates the meaning of life which objectivism on the contrary makes it perfectly clear: work hard, make money, live not sacrificing your own happiness before others.

I hate Ayn Rand. She's a traitor of the people!
Traitor of the people? Isn't Atlas Shrugged by any chance the second best selling book after Bible in the US of A? It is also a outstanding manual when running business.

Her selfish philosophies and her über individualism reach an almost (if not a full) sick degree of selfishness.
It's actually a virtue of selfishness. She rejects altruism and I agree that the ultimate moral value should be one's own well-being.

Does anyone here like Edgar Allen Poe? Someone just gave me a "complete works of" and I'm looking for a good starting place.

sydney_roo said:
She rejects altruism and I agree that the ultimate moral value should be one's own well-being.
I've never read Rand and I sort of don't want to simply because everyone else does, but this sounds like some sort of modern take on the Epicurean school:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicureanism

why don't you just read them in the order he wrote them (look it up maybe? I dunno honestly)

I've never read Rand and I sort of don't want to simply because everyone else does, but this sounds like some sort of modern take on the Epicurean school

I wouldn't necessarily go as far as calling objectivism epicureanism though there are some obvious similarities.

Anyone read 'The 120 Days Of Sodom' by de Sade? It's an erotic novel by french nobleman, still controversial being written over 200 years ago.

Jeremiah said:
Currently reading the first part of King's The Dark Tower. I like it so far.
Grows worse & worse. Enjoyable to the end though, but never as good as the first few.

I stopped 3/4 of the way through the fourth book in the Dark Tower series, up to the abrupt change from post-apocalyptic techno-Western to a more . . . fancy fantasy land. But that's all I'll say about the I stopped 3/4 of the way through the fourth book in the Dark Tower series, up to the abrupt change from post-apocalyptic techno-Western to a more . . . fancy fantasy land. But that's all I'll say about the Dark Tower.

Gunslinger was a damn fine book, though. Along with the first half of The Stand --> Great, if you like examining the effects of a high-fatality plague hitting the US, the government's reaction especially.

I just finished the majority of On the Beach . . . A very depressing text where everyone just gives up 3/4 of the way through. Making the rest one hell of a slog, unless you're really interested in what character eventually gets between the sheets with who, and such. And if that port is really that delicious!

Level 7 was great, though: Following the last few months of Button Pusher X107 (or some such numeral) from the offensive response level of a large military instillation. Examines the morphing of man into weapon . . . The ending was a bit of coincidence, though. Great little book.

A Canticle for Leibowitz (someone in the forum suggested to stay away from the "second" book, Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman apparently was wrote by this fellow, Miller Jr's son, but . . . the book itself makes no mention of it. A real let down, when you learn the main character isn't the main character at all . . . But a great start, somewhat amusing. Just disappointing.

Blindness (Jose Saramago) despite having awesome-slanting multi-page paragraphs of anti-grammatical text, was a fine read if you want desperation, contagion, and close-quarters' brawling of the sightless!

Dr. Blood Money (Philip K. Dick) was the best semi-post apocalyptic book that I've read, though. About madness, rebuilding of society, and <s>psychos</s>psychics. Still, nothing competes with my grade-school recollection of After the Bomb, polished fine with time and ignorance.

Solaris (Stanistas Lem) involves a psychologist battling his inner demons on a spacestation overlooking a jelly-planet most malicious. Unfortunate that so much time is spent on the planet.

M*A*S*H follows three American surgeons trying to survive the Korean affair and do the best job they can, while only going slightly insane. Just don't let the first 2 chapters bog you down . . . "he said" "he said" "he said" "then he said" . . . oh deity.

2010: Odyssey Two (Arthur C. Clarke), only a few hundred pages in, but it's a fine read . . . Real nice use of language to convey the perils of space-flight and other-world exploration. Along with the glorious politics of Russia vrs. America vrs. China.

The Shipping News (Annie Proulx) follows a bumbling imbecile trying to do best by the poor hand dealt as an obscure journalist for a Newfoundland paper, while trying to keep his family together. (Yeah, a bit of a change from the above, eh?) Still, despite the dramatic topic, the depictions of living in a remote community were well worth it.

Well, this concludes my previous two weeks. Good reading (and stick with the first 3 books of The Dark Tower!)

PSUEDO-EDIT!

Speaking of Poe, read the Highway Man and see if you can't locate a story about a certain delicious cask of fine wine . . .

Jay Null said:
I stopped 3/4 of the way through the fourth book in the Dark Tower series, up to the abrupt change from post-apocalyptic techno-Western to a more . . . fancy fantasy land.

This is kind of spoilerish, but a little intriguing too.

Gunslinger was a damn fine book, though. Along with the first half of The Stand --> Great, if you like examining the effects of a high-fatality plague hitting the US, the government's reaction especially.

The Stand is great, and not just the first half (though it gets worse toward the end, if I recall correctly... maybe the last 1/4 or so.)

The last book I read was The Invisible Man, and that as a re-read just after reading that same book.

Now I just read webcomics like Wondermark, it has a very interesting lexicon, and it's humorous.

But other than that, no.

Not even flash fiction.

Jeremiah,

I did my best to avoid spoiling the book for you, but I thought it wise to warn you . . . I'm sure I'll pick it up again one day, finish it, and realise it wasn't quite like that, though.

Afteral, Stephen King did base this heavily on Lord of the Rings and Alice in Wonderland(?*), or so he suggests in his introduction.

My problem with The Stand is what Stephen King is known best for: Paranormal horror. The moment it became a tale of people being drawn together via dreams, it started to feel like a retread of his other works. That, and Gas Man (the firebug) I found uninteresting.

(You made a bad choice, Wolf! :D First 30 or so are . . . eh, but then, back in the "real world . . ." it lifts up)

*Memory core has some corrupt cells

SuAside said:
I absolutely devoured Making A Killing, was gone in 3 days.

You really need to check it if you're into action + military + political situation in Iraq. There's a sequel, so I'll try to get my hands on it. According to reviews, the sequel is even better.
So, I went through "Escape From Baghdad" in 2 days...

Pretty damn hard to believe it is real stuff... But you can check some parts of it and those turn out to be true. The book actually tones down some real events to make it sound less farfetched (the citation of the Colonel's bronze star is even more insane than the description in the book).

It was very interesting too read, but I liked the first one better. The second one pretty much reads like a real life A-Team merc adventure tbfh. (not really, but you get the idea)

Best books I've read in quite some time.

read 25 books in the last 8 months (lets just say i had not read any book outside school curriculum before) and i was positively suprised...
theres some really good stuff out there.

the ones i liked the most were
griffins egg (short but the theme and writing made it my all time favourite.. sci-fi for the win)
Lord of the rings was really nicely written and easy to read.
norwegian wood by murakami was strange but good
hitchhikers guide to the galaxy is a good read, cant wait to get the sequels
and “Kuu Ordu” by Siim Veskimees.. estonian sci-fi
:lol:

SuAside said:
slice.
SuAside said:
I absolutely devoured Making A Killing . . .

So, I went through "Escape From Baghdad" in 2 days...

.slice..

I like your description and will locate a copy when funds become available. :D

Back