Favorite books / What are you reading?

MutantScalper said:
My Dark Places by James Ellroy.

Just to clarify, I don't think that was my all-time favourite book. It was ok, maybe even great. I recommend it to especially Ellroy-fans.

Right now I'm reading White Jazz by Ellroy. The last Ellroy-book for me for now. Not that I don't like his style but after reading My Dark Places, which is based on real events, White Jazz is kind of tame.

Just finished Pratchett's "Nation" which was awesome. Now I'm re-reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, one of my childhood favourites. It's the first time I'm reading this in English, the German translation really sucked.
Next up will be "And another thing..." by Eoin Colfer. It's the continuation of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy Trilogy and I wonder if it's any good. We'll see.

Buxbaum666 said:
It's the first time I'm reading this in English, the German translation really sucked.
I can imagine Tom Sawyer would be hard to read in translation since there's so much dialect in it. If you haven't tried Mark Twain's other books, give them a try. Many of them are surprising and all of them are memorable. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, for example, is a grim science fiction novel.

I'm reading Naked Lunch again, and as always it never fails to blow me away.

Totally fucking crazy read, especially for its time.

I found all three Gormenghast books at De Slegte and I just couldn't let them collect dust.
I've always felt attracted to the story (seeing it features steampunk and is a modernist work), but I've never had the luck of finding all three books at the same time, usually I only find copies of Gormenghast and I can't have that, I want the trilogy or nothing.

So yeah. I'll be reading lots of Mervyn Peake for the next couple of days.

I finally finished my Phi K. Dick novel compilation by reading A Scanner Darkly and Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said.

The first is only superficially sci-fi, and is actually a damning semi-biographical account of the LSD drug culture (Substance D...nice). It was good, but tragic and depressing.

Flow My Tears was my favorite of the five novels, along with Now Wait for Last Year. Those two were both excellent, and they would both make great movie material.

At the end of my book is a timeline of PKD's life. I never realized he died just before Blade Runner opened. Overall he had a pretty horrible life, I would say. Demons and whatnot.

I'm back and forth between "Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler

and

"I Hate Your Guts" by Jim Norton.

Sometimes it fun to kick back with something humorous that you don't have to think a whole lot about.

The UFO crash at Roswell - read this first

The truth about the UFO crash at Roswell - read this second

The day after Roswell with (ret) Colonel Phillip Corso - read 3rd

Now Im reading Night Seige The Hudson Valley UFO Sightings.

I just finished Michael Crichton's Timeline and now I'm finally, after 25 years of procrastination, getting around to reading The Stand by Stephen King. I normally stay away from the mass-market geared authors (not out of any pretentious sense of superiority, but because my reading list is already backlogged to hell as it is), but I'm finding these to be pretty engrossing.

well, yamu, regardless of being most of his work being really mainstream horror or adventure, Stephen King really has written a few gems you shouldn't pass up.

The Stand is amongst his better work, King probably doesn't get much better than this.

SuAside said:
The Stand is amongst his better work, King probably doesn't get much better than this.
One of my friends found an autographed first-edition hardcover of The Stand in a dumpster. Not the leather-bound one in the the wood case that's worth thousands of dollars, but still... :clap:

I'm now reading Warfare in the Classical World by John Warry. Great book with lots of color illustrations of things like Persian immortals, praetorian guards, and Macedonian companion cavalry. And cataphracts.

Reading right now:

Nothing

Probably gonna' read once I get the book in my hands:

Hell's Angels by Hunter S. Thompson

Favorite books of all time (in no specific order):

-The Godfather by Mario Puzo
-Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
-It by Stephen King

That's pretty much it.

MW, Swallowing the Earth by Osamu Tezuka. lol, there is certainly no moe or giant robots here. He is clearly affected by the writers and events of his generation.

Roshomon & related short stories by Akutagawa. I don't think I even need to explain who or what this is. I am reading it in Chinese though, since my Japanese reading comprehension has completely gone to like 6th grade or something.

SuperFreakonmics by Steven D. Levitt. An updated book full of interesting new data and new issues that seem unrelated to each other but somehow a direction causation can be observed through careful examination of the said data.

I am also looking at the possibility of a few books that sounds interesting but I don't have the time for - 2666, 120 days, The Tales of Genji, Wind up Bird's chronicle, Thousand Cranes, One over the cuckoo's nest, etc.

I'm reading:

Breaking Dawn
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Host
And my Biology book

These four books are favourite books and i recommend these book to all.

Back