Favorite books / What are you reading?

i so envy you guys, i barely have time to do anything this days between my job my degree and my "wify"

my books are 500pages long full of technical crap

mor said:
i so envy you guys, i barely have time to do anything this days between my job my degree and my "wify"
Someday you'll finish your degree and get a better job and you can come back here for ideas on what to read. I'd go with Twain's The Mysterious Stranger. Then you'll realize why it was all a waste of time. :D

BTW, it's the best thing I've read in a long time. I'm still mulling it over.

I halfway through The Road now, it's so pretty. With its cannibals and father and son running around, starving in the gray wastelands.

Let me know what you think of that, I've always meant to get around to reading it but can never remember the title or author. Some great dialogue in the movie, I'm curious if the book is the same.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csEzTwKemwY[/youtube]

Never read any western novels outside of Lonesome Dove, which is hard to top as a Pulitzer winner.

Favorite book Crime and punishment, now i checked out some books from the library about the post apocalypse...and...its shi*... :(

Cimmerian Nights said:
Let me know what you think of that, I've always meant to get around to reading it but can never remember the title or author. Some great dialogue in the movie, I'm curious if the book is the same.
It's good. I don't read many westerns, but I enjoyed it.

It's interesting comparing Gone to Texas to The Outlaw Josey Wales. I'd say most of the best parts come from the book, but the screenplay made large contributions of good dialogue too. For example, the part at the end when Josey Wales makes the pact with Ten Bears the Comanche chief is almost word-for-word from the book. Then there's a part in the movie when Josey says, "When I get to likin' someone they ain't around long," and Lone Watie says, "I notice when you get to dislikin' someone they ain't around long neither." That a great line added in the screenplay.

Overall the screenwriter did a pretty good job emphasizing the best parts of the book and shoring up the weak parts. The most significant change is probably Lone Watie the Cherokee. In the book he's six feet tall, still old but less elderly, and more capable. They turned him into comic relief in the movie - not in a bad way, though. I like the Lone Watie from the book better, however.

My book also contains the sequel to Gone to Texas, called The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales. Too early to tell whether I'll like it for sure.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the biggest change from Gone to Texas to the movie is the addition of Josey's old compatriot who helps the Redleg bouty hunters track him. That character doesn't exist in the book. I'm not sure he adds that much to the story, actually.

Also, I've finished The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales. It has some of the same charm as Gone to Texas, but I liked is a bit less. It's preachier and seems more like fantasy, although it's possible that's an illusion based on the lack of a good movie adaptation.

Apparently Clint Eastwood owns the movie rights and had planned to make the sequel, but it never came about for business reasons. Too bad.

I'm nearly done reading Nothing to Envy. It's about the lives of a few North Koreans who ended up defecting to South Korea/China after everything got even more screwed up there in the 90s

Quoth said:
I halfway through The Road now, it's so pretty. With its cannibals and father and son running around, starving in the gray wastelands.

It's a great read. I remember I finished it in 1.5 night. In my opinion, the movie well captures the atmosphere of the book.

sydney_roo said:
Quoth said:

It's a great read. I remember I finished it in 1.5 night. In my opinion, the movie well captures the atmosphere of the book.
it's the only book i've been reading for almost two weeks now. I almost finish it though. and find it anti-climatic for the sole fact that I already watched the film twice.

[spoiler:6b41288038]baby eaters what the hell.[/spoiler:6b41288038]

Finished another re-read of the Commie Manifesto. I think i'm gonna go back to doing some Kafka :)

sydney_roo said:
Quoth said:

Same here, what's funny is that I have suggested a novel called FLAN written before The Road, post apocalyptic, brilliantly written but nobody seems to be interested in that book, not even here. funny

PainlessDocM said:
sydney_roo said:
Quoth said:

Same here, what's funny is that I have suggested a novel called FLAN written before The Road, post apocalyptic, brilliantly written but nobody seems to be interested in that book, not even here. funny
First impressions are everything. If not by the book cover, is the title.

That title.

Quoth said:
First impressions are everything. If not by the book cover, is the title.

That title.

I transcribed a random page for you :)

Bare skeletons of houses standing.
Smoldering in the grey afternoon
Air heavy with snow like ash falling
Flan felt paralyzed, unable to breathe
So many dead people
Limbs twisted in odd perversion
Exposed bones. Snapped like brittle white bread sticks
(white and dry and covered in red goo)
Rivers of blood running wide an slow, lumped with exposed organs, coated hundreds of body parts... shredded.. painful black burns embedded with glass... contorted in nervous pain.. bleeding and burning ..quick painful breathing, begging for air.. people running and falling glass...blood falling over the ripped cheeks from the plucked out eyes of blinded ones, naked and falling on melted tar roads and torn apart cinder block structures... plucked out-eyes...eyes pulled right out above screaming toothless mouths of armless people...humans reduced to lumps of flesh...carnage and more carnage...bodies and and blood blood blood.

Flan was in shock and began to vomit dry-dry air from his belly with the smell of plastic and paint and tar and glue and polyester burning and burning and burning as he rubbed his eyes in despair.
A miserable, miserable, suffering day.

"Excuse me sir." It was the strange pistol man still standing there in front of Flan.
"If you want...for a modest price, I can execute you now, if you'd like." He was quite courteous, actually.
"Please go away," begged a tearful Flan. And the strange fellow did. He just wandered over to the next person, a man wearing a burnt shirt and tie, with no pants, and with blood all over his face.
The two spoke, and the bloody-faced man nodded in understanding, handed his executioner a gold watch, an old sandwich, and patted the back of his own head.
The executioner smiled as the bloody-faced one turned, got down on his knees, and uttered a prayer up to God with tears in his eyes and trembling hands tightly clasped together. Sweat ran down his fleshy face. He prepared to meet Jesus while the pistol's muzzle pressed against his skull. As he crossed himself, the executioner pulled the trigger and the fellow's head blew apart, a pathetic melon splitting and rolling and bleeding in the dust with an eyeball for each section. As the rest of the body quivered and fell, the killer approached what was left of the mouth, inserted his fingers, and pulled out a tooth made of gold. This he put, along with the watch and the sandwich, into a little leather purse.

Whatever happened to 'Don't judge a book by its cover (title)'?

Started reading the Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies. I'd read Fifth Business before and loved it. Hadn't realized it was a trilogy til I saw the book.

It's a great book. Not a lot happens but it is mesmerizing.

Lovecraft is pretty cool. I'm reading "Fourteen Kinds of Loneliness" by Richard Yates.

Can anyone recommend which book I should start with first in the Mr. Men series…there are too many choices.

littlemissedperiod.jpg

Back