Favorite books / What are you reading?

Bad_Karma said:
seems somewhat dull compared to the technical possibilites we've today - the problem of most sci-fi, i guess, when times goes on.

I actually see that as a positive. However I dont read much sci-fi. It is very cool to read somthing and point out "Ha, we actually use this today"

So I just finished Crime & Punishment. I'm astounded. Really really amazing book. So, yesterday, knowing that I'd finish the book and ask for more, I went to the bookstore and bought Brothers Karamazov. It was pretty expensive, two volumes, very well translated (Crime & Punishment in Brazil was translated from the French versions mostly; this "East Collection" that my Crime and Punishment and Brother Karamazov belongs are translated directly from the Russian), beautiful covers, etc. I'm really anxious to read them, but I think I'll buy before The Doors of Perception of Huxley before going to BK. Anyone here has ever read The Doors of Perception? It is a book as dense as Crime and Punishment? Because if it is, doesn't make much sense reading it before BK just to let my mind breath a bit.

I tried my best with the russian prose... i failed...

I've read Soljenitsin and some Tolstoi. But when i tried War and Peace... oh man, i've started that three times, i mean... come on. I must have something wrong with my brain.

Although their sci-fi rocks. Have you read some of that?

mobucks said:
The poor Wahoo. Fleet Boats kick ass.

Aye. Morton had a set of stones on him anyone would be proud of. Guess if your gonna go, you leave a hell of a legacy to remember you by right?

I'm currently working through Sartre's The Roads to Freedom series. I'm on The Reprieve at the moment, although I haven't had very much time to read it, as I have spent a lot of my time reading various books for university recently. The first book of the series, The Age of Reason is easily one of my all time favourite books.

Finished Jordan's Eye of the World. Now I have to go to the bookstore to buy the sequel. Crap, which bookstore works on holidays!!!???

My God, Serbian translation of Necronomicon costs about 25$! And I actually thought about buying it...

Horse Soldiers by Doug Stanton. Pretty good book about the early days of the ongoing war in Afghanistan. Makes one wonder how the US can't seem to win dispite of material superiority.

Just got a couple of books from my friend Ian McDonald, a belated Christmas gift.

Currently I am reading the Atrocity Archives by Charless Stross.

British secret service and bureaucracy meets Cthulhu mythos.

The Dutch Ghost said:
British secret service and bureaucracy meets Cthulhu mythos.

That happens so often that it must be based on real events or something.

Just prepping myself to start reading Dickens' "Great Expectations" as it's the easiest one. In the mood for some Victorian writing.

DSCF1001.jpg

This is what I got reading for now. Right now I am on Killer Elite

Guiltyofbeingtrite said:
My girlfriend got me that Kick-Ass book for Christmas, looking forward to starting it.

I'd like to get Kick-Ass. Everyone says it's kickass awesome.

The only comic book I follow is Martin Mystère.
I honestly recommend it to everyone, 'cause it's for everyone with a certain IQ.

Oh, and it has nothing to do with a supid cartoon with the similar name...

Dragon Reborn from Robert Jordan. Nice book.

The next one's better, five and six are good to. Then comes Crown of Swords, which is where the series starts declining into an endless sea of melodramatic shite. Though if you can stomach about 3000 pages of said shite, it gets good again at book eleven, the last two are better still (the last is the best in the series IMO, Sanderson is a better writer than Jordan basically).

That said, I kind of regret ever reading any of the tripe, I mean it's a good read but I could get a LOT more from 10,000 pages of material...

Currently reading Michael Palin's: New Europe. Two of my loves in life are Palin and traveling Eastern Europe so it's a obvious choice. His words make me want to explore the Balkans; aside from Bulgaria, Romania and Greece, I've so far avoided them.

Back