Favorite Stand up Comedian?

Alphadrop said:
Bill Bailey, Dara O Briain and Dylan Moran. Thought this topic needed more Brit comedians... ish... two of 'em are Irish.

Damn you reminded me now, of this... scott? I think he is scottish... huge bushy beard!
I laughed so I cried when he talked about his proctology exam...

two pages, zero Richard Pryors. :seriouslyno:

You should all be ashamed.

Anyway's for me is Richard Pryor #1 then in no order, George Carlin, Louis CK, Patton Oswalt, Louis Black, Bill Hicks, Dave Attel, Bill Burr, Eugene Mirman, Kristen Schaal, The Smothers Brothers, Dave Chapelle, Steve Martin, and a many many others. (I'm a bit of a comedy buff :P)

Eternal said:
two pages, zero Richard Pryors. :seriouslyno:

You should all be ashamed.

I tried to get into Richard Pryor once, but I am too used to Eddie Murphy, and since the latter is heavily inspired by the former, their styles are similar, and the pieces I found with Richard were very self-degrading. He was talking about his substance abuse and other misfortunes. It _was_ fun, but the audience weren't playing along, and it begun just feeling a bit sad :I

You're right tho, the little I checked out was quite good, just unfortunate settings, bad quality, etc, that demotivated from continued exploration :I

Edit: Billy Connolly!

I'm surprised that Robin Williams hasn't been mentioned, his stand up is hysterical. I went to a "sit down" with him conducted by David Steinberg that was great, the man has some great stories about his life.

Yeah, I was gonna say.... Mitch Hedberg is at the top of my list, along with the like of Carlin. =)

I love Louis C.K. too, and Ricky Gervais, and Stephen Merchant, and Gabriel Iglesias, but of all the comics I find myself quoting when I'm all by myself and I can only keep myself company with my own thoughts and memories, Mitch Hedberg's and George Carlin's skits are what come to mind, the most. I prefer Carlin's works up to the last 2 years of his life, as I feel that he really let himself sink into conspiracy theories and big-brother paranoia (not that he was completely off base, just that he was eventually quoted agreeing with all those "The Government was behind 9/11" nut jobs) and it detracted somewhat from his comedy near the end of his life. But the sheer volume of amazing content that he provided in the decades prior to that makes it forgivable, to me, and he remains as my all-time favorite comedian. I just wish Mitch Hedberg lived a little longer so he had a chance to provide us with more of his brilliance, too... =(

"Bears can be mean! But a frog is always cool! ... If a frog comes around, I don't have to hang my sandwiches from a branch! You'll never hear somebody say, 'Aww shit, here comes that frog; I better play dead!'"

"I went to the store to buy a candle holder, but they were all out, so I bought a cake!"

"I love escalators, man, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs! You will never see a sign saying 'Escalator temporarily broken' no, you'll only see 'Escalator temporarily stairs; sorry for the convenience!'"

Also Stephen Wright:

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"I went to a general store, but they wouldn't let me buy anything specific"

When I was in high school, I got in trouble with my girlfriend's Dad. He said, "I want my daughter back by 8:15." I said, "The middle of August? Cool!"
------
Carlin will always be an all time great, the amount of material that man produced was genius.

Carlin:

"In America... [fear of germs] is ridiculous, and it goes to ridiculous lengths. In prisons, before they give you a lethal injection, they swab your arm with alcohol!"

"Let me tell you a true story about immunization, okay? When I was a little boy, in New York City, in the 1940s, we swam in the Hudson River. And it was FILLED with raw sewage, okay? WE SWAM IN RAW SEWAGE. You know, to cool off! And at that time the big fear was polio; thousands of kids died from polio, every year. But you know something, in my neighborhood, no one ever got polio. No one! EVER! You know why? Cause we swam in raw sewage! It strengthened our immune systems. The polio never had a prayer, we were tempered in raw shit!"

Kinda surprised by myself, but somehow I forgot to mention Dane Cook as a personal favorite, as well. When Carlin was alive, I often thought of and compared Dane Cook to him. Obviously, they were still very different kinds of comedians, and Carlin was always an activist, while Dane Cook was more just about telling stories and having a good time, I still saw a similarity in their method, and their outrage at little things we do and the manner they would point out strange habits always made me smile.

Louis C.K. is hands down the funniest comedian I've ever seen. I loved George Carlin too, but C.K.'s comedy is simply purer.
Also love Robin Williams and Lewis Black.

Najib Amhali, he's dutch.

"Policewoman: Don't be a smartass.
. . . what are you a comedian?

Najib: Yes."

I loved Doug Stanhope's stuff from the moment I first heard him. I think it was No Refunds.

This kind of comedy was new and eye-opening to me at the time. And it's still pretty rare. To me, George Carlin was the best person to hear this kind of stuff from. He'll always be the best.

Then, I got into Bill Hicks, and realized I wished he'd done more...been around longer.

I've got nostalgia for Mitch Hedberg, because my step-dad introduced me to him. Good comedy for a good mood there, which also seems rare.

ndgakin said:
I've got nostalgia for Mitch Hedberg, because my step-dad introduced me to him. Good comedy for a good mood there, which also seems rare.
I was present at the show where he recorded his second album, Mitch All Together. It was the best comedy show I've ever seen live, Mitch in front of his hometown fans. It wasn't too long after that that he died, maybe a year or so later.

Steve Hughes and Billy Connolly are pretty good aswell, and I'm sad that noone has mentioned Tim Minchin!

Back