Fear of talking about it....

zeppelin1216

First time out of the vault
Like a sad abused housewife of middle-class America, I truly feel too oppressed to get my ideas across. The possibility of being ostracized by the community that I so willingly wanted to be apart of suppresses me to the fear of defeat. What am I referring to? The pure crucifixion of the game that is so deeply embedded in my love for the franchise. Dare I say it... Fallout 3! Why is it that I must be punished for the "mistakes," as some may call them, of certain people so long ago? Please, for one game? Help me in my quest to find a voice in this community.

No one is forbiding you from liking Fallout 3, but it's kind of weird for you to want to join this forum where dislike for Fallout 3 is almost universal...

I don't hate Fallout 3, when compared to the others it is kind of lackluster in terms of the main story. I felt the character became too overpowered to the point that I beat the main story at level 13 with laser weapons which i barely put points into. But then again 3 and NV were the only Fallout games I've finished , though I've played through most of one and two.

It was the game that got me into the series so it holds a place in my heart for that reason. I'm actually planning on replaying it with all the DLC and trying to do a great playthough.

This is the internet, say what you want to say and dont worry about it.

I like FO3, I admit it has problems but it was alot of fun to play and thats why I play games. If certain people here dont like and want to feel all smug and intellectually superior then let them, who cares.

I like Fallout 3. It is good, just not great like other Fallout games. I much prefer Fallout and Fallout: New Vegas and I'm sure if my copy of Fallout 2 worked I would rather that too. It is better than Tactics and I haven't played Brotherhood of Steel but I'm fairly certain it is better. I'm hoping Bethesda learns from the mistakes they made in Fallout 3 and that Fallout 4 is better. It isn't going to be as good as New Vegas but still.

Knight Captain Kerr said:
I'm hoping Bethesda learns from the mistakes they made in Fallout 3 and that Fallout 4 is better. It isn't going to be as good as New Vegas but still.

Agreed 1000%

Knight Captain Kerr said:
I like Fallout 3. It is good, just not great like other Fallout games. I much prefer Fallout and Fallout: New Vegas and I'm sure if my copy of Fallout 2 worked I would rather that too. It is better than Tactics and I haven't played Brotherhood of Steel but I'm fairly certain it is better. I'm hoping Bethesda learns from the mistakes they made in Fallout 3 and that Fallout 4 is better. It isn't going to be as good as New Vegas but still.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject.

zeppelin1216 said:
Like a sad abused housewife of middle-class America, I truly feel too oppressed to get my ideas across. The possibility of being ostracized by the community that I so willingly wanted to be apart of suppresses me to the fear of defeat. What am I referring to? The pure crucifixion of the game that is so deeply embedded in my love for the franchise. Dare I say it... Fallout 3! Why is it that I must be punished for the "mistakes," as some may call them, of certain people so long ago? Please, for one game? Help me in my quest to find a voice in this community.

Everyone has opinions my friend. You don't have to accept them, but you do have to respect them. After all, just simply raising your voice and speaking your mind on a subject like this will bring out the individuals who may or may not share parts or whole of your opinion. Perhaps a majority of the people on this forum do seem to despise FO3 to its damnation. But just remember that if you can't accept someones opinion, at least respect that someone for having an opinion.

As for me, I've relooked FO3 for what it really is and no longer for how I originally viewed it. It's shallow. It's broken. It's too easy. It's bugged-as-fuck. It's repetitive in almost every sense and aspect of gameplay. And most of all, it contradicts and conflicts with too many parts to the canon storyline. And that's a big no no, at least for me.

But I still think that the game is fun. It does hold good replay value if you decide to utilize mods in any favor whatsoever. Hell, you could rewrite the whole storyline if you wanted to through modding, a concept that a lot of people don't seem to see eye to eye with and fail to aquire. Meanwhile, FO3 does make Fallout more interesting in the sense that it experiments with taking a FPS/RPG approach with real time combat. I like it personally. I just wish it was more realistic, like head bobbing or weapon sway and so forth. But Bethesda clearly loves to stay in the shadow of the light when it comes to gameplay improvement (hence when I stated repetitivity).

Anyways, I love FO3 because it's the game that introduced me to Fallout in the first place. It will always hold a special place in my heart, even if it sucks hardcore irradiated mutant cock.

we dont burn people that "like" Fallout 3.

We only burn people which think that "we" should also love it. People forget that NMA is an community, it might give people that really like F3 an difficult time, but the moderators usually make sure that everyone can voice his opinion. It just gets tedious when people repeat the same argument over and over again like an mantra, things we have all read a thousand times, F3 is the real Fallout, how can you not like it, Bethesda did you fans a favour and so on ...

Everyone has opinions my friend. You don't have to accept them, but you do have to respect them. After all, just simply raising your voice and speaking your mind on a subject like this will bring out the individuals who may or may not share parts or whole of your opinion. Perhaps a majority of the people on this forum do seem to despise FO3 to its damnation. But just remember that if you can't accept someones opinion, at least respect that someone for having an opinion.

As for me, I've relooked FO3 for what it really is and no longer for how I originally viewed it. It's shallow. It's broken. It's too easy. It's bugged-as-fuck. It's repetitive in almost every sense and aspect of gameplay. And most of all, it contradicts and conflicts with too many parts to the canon storyline. And that's a big no no, at least for me.

But I still think that the game is fun. It does hold good replay value if you decide to utilize mods in any favor whatsoever. Hell, you could rewrite the whole storyline if you wanted to through modding, a concept that a lot of people don't seem to see eye to eye with and fail to aquire. Meanwhile, FO3 does make Fallout more interesting in the sense that it experiments with taking a FPS/RPG approach with real time combat. I like it personally. I just wish it was more realistic, like head bobbing or weapon sway and so forth. But Bethesda clearly loves to stay in the shadow of the light when it comes to gameplay improvement (hence when I stated repetitivity).

Anyways, I love FO3 because it's the game that introduced me to Fallout in the first place. It will always hold a special place in my heart, even if it sucks hardcore irradiated mutant cock.

I really appreciate your input, but let me just clear a few things up. Its not that I don't respect the opinions of others who despise fallout 3, I was just wondering the reason for the immediate hostility towards it. I joined this forum not knowing that it was such a controversial topic that I enjoyed so much. And maybe I am just over-reacting a bit. I should just tell it how I want and just take the criticism if it comes.

Everybody has their opinions. I play alot of Final Fantasy games, talk to some of those guys and there's some that think any FF other than Nintendo sucks. Others think anything post FFVII is crap. I fall in to the category that thinks these overly cinematic XBOX releases (XIII and XIII-2 especially) are attrocities to the brand. Best thing too do is just let 'em go their way.

The thing is, I liked it for quite a while.
I think that everyone can agree it is a bad game objectively, and a piss-poor Fallout game, but if you like it, that's no problem at all.

Here's my take: it is almost entirely all-around, a bad game. It has a couple good things, but nothing outstanding, really: some cool weapon design, some great aesthetics, and an incredibly 'retro' vibe in some areas.
That is where I think credit is due. And that's it.

Where it gets me is that it is damn fun while the feeling lasts. It wore off, but I was captivated for a while. And even beyond a point it's still decently entertaining.

I sum it up as a bad, but fun, game.

I hate the plot and the writing for most of FO3.

I like the setting and the physical world that was created.

The mechanics sucked and it is very weak when compared to any of the other fallouts.

If someone could sandbox FO3, remove the plot quests, add in all the mechanics, items, weapons, mods etc. from FONV and then write a new plot for FO3, it would be great (IMO).

zeppelin1216 said:
I really appreciate your input, but let me just clear a few things up. Its not that I don't respect the opinions of others who despise fallout 3, I was just wondering the reason for the immediate hostility towards it. I joined this forum not knowing that it was such a controversial topic that I enjoyed so much. And maybe I am just over-reacting a bit. I should just tell it how I want and just take the criticism if it comes.

You've got the right idea, I think-- crucifixions don't typically occur here for holding an unpopular opinion. They only happen when the holder of that opinion starts taking it personally that the vocal majority offloads shovelful after shovelful of well-worn points to the contrary. There are plenty of not-so-closeted F3 enjoyers around here, as the game does (or did) maintain a certain charm despite its flaws; it's just that those flaws are pretty well-recognized.

To answer your question as to whence the hostility springs, let it suffice to say the community's had the discussion multiple times over multiple years with newcomers, most of them not as level-headed as yourself, and the ceaseless retreading begins to wear on some. It was a sore spot to begin with chiefly because it was, in almost every way, the Duke Nukem Forever of the Fallout franchise: we waited a decade for it, it didn't succeed as a Fallout game in the old mold, it didn't succeed as whatever they were trying to remake it as (the shooter and RPG mechanics were both incredibly lackluster), it was crammed full of crap that didn't fit the setting, and it was already behind the curve technologically when it was released. As said, it maintained a certain charm, but that didn't age well, especially in light of the mechanical improvements New Vegas managed to work on a much tighter schedule and budget given the same materials.

What I don't like about F3 is they wasted a very important city, they could have taken DC and did something new and exciting but they didn't they transplanted groups and story from the previous games.
There was potential there but sorely wasted and they are now committed to the area in terms of story telling for any future games.

As for the idea / ideas go for it NMA might seem harsh at times but it's a open to good ideas.

Back