File upload site that doesn't suck?

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Modder
In the past for my mod hosting I used Box.net, but as it grew I exceeded their file size limit. Then I used MegaUpload, but the US Gov't shut them down. Currently I've been using GameFront, but for some bullshit reason they completely block certain countries. Because of that I use MediaFire as a backup/mirror, but they recently introduced CAPTCHA which I find extremely annoying.

What file upload site:
- doesn't have annoying shit like 30-second timers or CAPTCHA, and
- can take files of at least 100MB, and
- doesn't firewall any countries?

Thanks.

What about Dropbox? It is a nice cloud storage service which lets you upload big files. As long as not thousands of people want to download your files simultaneously, the download should always work too.

The problem is basically all free hosting sites are going to have CAPTCHAs, space limits, speed restrictions or potentially disappear the next day. Ever since the crackdown of MegaUpload things just aren't the same with them.

As already stated, I'd suggest dropbox or google drive. Both have direct links to your files and are fast. With google drive, it can be a bit annoying since it'll take you to a page that often will say virus scanning failed and to click to download. Everything makes sense if you read the text on the page, but it's possible users would get confused.

Thanks all, very helpful 8-)
killap you host them on your own domain, is that at least from a PC 'server' at home? Otherwise I'd imagine your hosting costs are quite high :eek: :eek: :shock:

Sduibek said:
killap you host them on your own domain, is that at least from a PC 'server' at home?
I do host them from my own domain, but it isn't a machine at my home. I use dreamhost, which is a really awesome service and I recommend it to everyone. It's $8.95/month and has unlimited space and bandwidth. Basically their business model is charge little and hope for millions of users. Their uptime is great too. I used to get insane download speeds from them, but it looks like they've since limited it to 600kb/sec. So slow, right. ;)

Sduibek said:
Otherwise I'd imagine your hosting costs are quite high :eek: :eek: :shock:
Like I said $8.95/month. Awhile back I did actually check how much was downloaded from my account and over these years it's several hundred TBs! They don't seem to care though.

Then there is the actual domain name, which is like $10/year. So in total it's like $120 a year or so. It does add up.

EDIT:
solidfiles seems pretty good too. The main issue with these services though is that they may disappear tomorrow or the link may get deleted after some amount of time/inactivity. This makes people sad.

Back