FONV feels unfinished

Ausdoerrt said:
As a rule though, RPG games have been pretty buggy since time immemorial (for me, anyway, not sure if some of the older gamers here want to dispute that).
I'm no experienced RPG gamer, but that sounds about right to me too.

FPS games, Racing games (pretty much all other games) do not have complex things like quests which can get screwed up and ruin your save game, or at least force you to do some console command gymnastics.

Anno1404 did that for me causing savegames to crash after some time so I had no chance to reload them which really sucks in it as you need somewhat like 3-4 ours to build a large city ...

DForge said:
Yeah, RPGs were buggy. See Betrayal at Krondor for instance - it had it share of bugs and new patches actually introduced new bugs.

Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager was one of the worst, back in 1994. I loved Dark sun so it was kinda painful.

CV said:
I still think the chip was somewhat a bit cheap for a macguffin

A bit? Even in a franchise with a rich tradition of McGuffins, the platinum chip is downright ridiculous.

Given the way the game begins and the way it ends, it really seems like their development process went a little like:

"Man this is great, guys. We're making a new Fallout game and we really have some awesome ideas about what we can do here. Hey, look at the crows and swinging signs and tumbleweeds and flags and OH FUCK LOOK AT THE TIME HOLY SHIT WE HAVE TO FINISH THIS BY TOMORROW OH FUCK!!"

I give this game "two thumbs up" yet I'd almost certainly add "one boner up" if we had gotten the same game with twice the development time.

We can only hope at this point that they are given another shot with more time allotted.

Sounds like Obsidian's usual development cycle.

TwinkieGorilla said:
I give this game "two thumbs up" yet I'd almost certainly add "one boner up" if we had gotten the same game with twice the development time.

And a different engine?

Given those two this could easily be a top-10 RPG of all time. Now it's, well, it's pretty damn good, but not really a hall of famer.

I think I'd classify this as a Hall of Famer. Probably partially because the drought of these kinda player-driven games, but a lot of it is really well done. I'm damn sure it will end up being in my top 10 at least, even though it is of course vastly different than the old Fallouts.

But back to the topic. I didn't have much problems with the BoS quests (though I must say I find their overall presence in the game to be pretty unnecessary). But an area like Westside or The Thorn really reeks of, well... Let's say that it feels like they really could've done with some more content in those areas.

It's definitive in my RPG hall of fame, but then again, I can't really say that the hall of fame features many entries anyway.

@TwinkieGorilla: "Man this is great, guys..." LOL - that's about what I imagined, too.

Brother None said:
Sounds like Obsidian's usual development cycle.

TwinkieGorilla said:

And a different engine?

Given those two this could easily be a top-10 RPG of all time. Now it's, well, it's pretty damn good, but not really a hall of famer.

Dear god yes, please, a different engine.

The game only got a little disappointing for me - location wise - upon entering the Vegas outskirts, and then finally Vegas itself. It just seemed completely barren - like the Kings members outside Freeside remark on how crowded the place already is - and then there's like 8 people in the whole place. And The Strip itself was a letdown but only because it was so hyped up and advertised and marketed like crazy pre-release. The engine limitations were definitely displayed in full view when it came to all those bloody doors and loading times everywhere just to get to the Lucky 38, and its a shame that it didn't quite end up as the concept image intended or even close to the cover of All Roads.

Despite this criticism I've gotten over it now by just imagining the game's big locations as interpreted on the old FO1&2 engine and the 'grids' within each, and how instead of being an inch-by-inch, person-by-person recreation of a whole entire place, it is instead more representative, i.e. one person is representative of 5 in any certain area, the doors in between the Vegas strip account for 100 or so metres with buildings of no real interest in-between, etc. Same goes for the big war at Hoover Dam...one soldier equals 10 or 20, something like that.

But yeah, as stated earlier if Obsidian had been given double the development time for sure a lot more could've been done with less concessions to certain places, and who knows maybe they could've pushed some more performance out of the engine. As it stands though all the smaller towns were done very well as a whole; it's just with a major, bustling city with supposedly hundreds of visitors...not possible on Gamebryo methinks.

I think inaccessible doors/locked doors without keys is a bit crap when it comes to game design. In design, I believe everything should have a reason and explanation (if requested) on why it is there. I really shouldn't have to think "Oh, I went through the entire game and I still haven't found a key or a way to open this door." so I have to leave the game and look it up to see if there's a way to open it.

I hate that, it breaks immersion. If there's a locked door, I would rather spend hours figuring it out or building my lockpick skill to see how to open it and being rewarded for that. Instead, if there's always the idea of "Oh, well, maybe this is one of those doors that doesn't open..." then that doubt will be in my mind and I'll end up looking it up just to ruin the surprise.

If it's hand placed in the game world, then I think it should be apart of the game. There are visual/usability strategies to make an inaccessible door less compelling to mess with (visually broken doors, creating conventions early on so the player "knows" what door it can't access) or give solid reasons why the player can't get in (saying "There is no key, it's lost or something! Move along and play the game anywhere but here because we say so!" is a cop out in a world where keys are collected and points are spent into lockpicking skills).

That's like having four buttons on a computer console. Three buttons do things but the last one brings up a message "THIS BUTTON DOESN'T WORK." Why? Because the console creator thought the console needed more buttons to make it more believable, so they added things that look like they are important but really aren't at all! Horseshit. If I see a door that doesn't open, I should never have to stop and think "Oh, this is here because the game developers want to insinuate that the area is bigger than it really is" instead of me actually being convinced that it is.

But if it's an average door that the player can safely expect it to work, and is even interactive, then it's just a disappointing tease.

This is like the "game boundary" argument where no answer is really natural feeling. Also, I'm really just being a baby.

With one exception I can think of, most of the doors that say "key required" or similar tend to either be opened elsewhere or have one of those plot-specific keys that an NPC is in possession of. The doors that say "inaccessible" tend to be blocking a big pile of rubble or rock or scrap furniture.

Back