FoT Redux 1.1 Comments/Issues/Bugs

You can edit the prefab characters (using the Editor that comes with the game) to make them pretty much anything you want (like a robot), but I don't think there's any way to get the regular character creation process to offer those options.
I was unsuccessful at doing this, I was only able to replace the starting race.

Without actually checking, I don't think a dog would work at all, though-- can they go up/down ladders? I'm not sure.
The Dog and Wolf sprites have no animation for ladders.

Animation for ladders of the Dog and Wolf sprites can be add but not looks good enough, others too.

Is it possible to reduce the ammo loot in this mod?
I like how it was made in modern guns mod - there's much less ammo from enemy.

I want to know if 1.2 will fix the slowdowns when scrolling the maps specially close to the end of the game when the maps get HUGE, it's slow to the point of being really annoying and destroy the pleasure of playing the game (not totally of course)

I don't have any trouble with things like that, Felipefpl. What OS are you running the game on? Is it on a current computer, or a vintage machine?

The only strange behavior I ever notice is if I play for many hours in a continuous session; then things start to slow, but only a little, and saving/exiting out of the game then restarting always take care of it.

Well... user in question appears to have been banned, but going by the sig (assuming it's up to date), an onboard Intel HD graphics chip ain't going to do any favours.

I also have bad performances running the game, I removed AA on tiles and characters and still scrolling is bad. Hidding the roof of a building (when entering it) freeze the game half a second. Editor have the same issues.

My config is quite high so I'm disturbed.
win 7
intel core i5 4460
Radeon R9 290 4 Go
16 Go of RAM

...going by the sig (assuming it's up to date), an onboard Intel HD graphics chip ain't going to do any favours.

4 GB system RAM in Win 7 64-bit? That's pretty...austere. Wasn't there also a patch especially for Win7 issues? Maybe for very high resolutions?

I think there were issues (long ago) with sound. This is old, off the top of my head, and may be useless. One, you start getting ambient sounds when the source/zone is on the screen, and at high resolutions, you get more sounds running, and slowdowns. Then the Miles 3d sound could be trouble on some systems, possibly just not supported on the hardware. I think hiccups in frame rate, and memory leaks, were symptoms of both. Old advice was turn off the Miles 3d audio and see what happens. As I recall this affected new PCs even 5+ years after FOT came out, so was somewhat CPU independent.

Endocore - i dont believe it depends of OS/Computer, it seems to happen with several ppl and i tried the patch to boost the speed, it made things worse...

Changing the in-game sound setting to DirectX (from Miles) was a good suggestion from Vault Maker. Another thing to check would be one's general sound-card settings. It's hard to give advice on a problem unless I can see it first-hand for study, but that's not to doubt some players have such problems.

Try checking the usual suspects:

--Give bos.exe administrator permissions when it runs
--Try increasing your virtual memory allocation
--Don't install the game into Windows "security zones" (Documents and Settings, Program Files, etc)
--Use Windows Update to make sure you have the latest versions of DirectX.
--Using the in-game options, turn off anti-aliasing and dynamic shadows (the options aren't called that exactly, but they're in the "Display" tab of the in-game options). This didn't work for Nugent, but may work for others as there are probably several different sources of such problems depending on a particular player's hardware and configuration.
--If you're using resource hog programs such as Norton Security, temporarily disable them while playing FOT.
--If you're using the high resolution mod, try playing without the high resolution mod and see if you notice any improvement. If you're playing in a window, try playing full-screen and see if you notice any improvement.

I run the game on an old XP machine with a simple on-board graphics controller (no fancy video card), and can't say I ever notice any slowdowns at all, much less on a regular basis. I play with all the anti-aliasing options turned on as well. The answer to these problems has to be somewhere in the configuration of an end-user's general Windows installation. Everyone should try some experimenting, and let us know the results to see if we can make some progress on this issue.

Felipefpl, if by "patch to boost the speed" you're talking about some old thing from Freelancer, don't use that. It's not dangerous or anything, but it's not helpful either.

Last edited:
Endocore - i ran the game on an old winxp machine just like you, updated tactics with the latest patch, everything was normal in the beginning, like i said the problem happens with the maps close to end of the game that are huge, i didnt have this problem with the previous ones (better saying the stutterings existed but they didnt happen often) anyway, if it's possible optimizations are always welcome. ;)

Btw, a few suggestions: you should do like on F2RP on wikia and add sections with the names of the cities/locations, bugs that arent related to both, etc, etc, etc plus copy ALL the text in the beginning that teaches ppl how to install teh game, report bugs, etc. ;)

Looking around the internet, apparently the most common cause of these problems relates to insufficient file permissions for bos.exe. Everyone should make a shortcut to always start the game directly with bos.exe (don't use "Fallout Tactics Launcher.exe" as its only purpose is to see if you registered the game with Interplay-- which is out of business), and set the properties for bos.exe to run as administrator or equivalent. There are other causes as well, but that seems to be the top culprit.

Modding wiki will be updated either tomorrow or Saturday with new information. :drummer:

You can edit the prefab characters (using the Editor that comes with the game) to make them pretty much anything you want (like a robot), but I don't think there's any way to get the regular character creation process to offer those options.
I was unsuccessful at doing this, I was only able to replace the starting race.

Without actually checking, I don't think a dog would work at all, though-- can they go up/down ladders? I'm not sure.
The Dog and Wolf sprites have no animation for ladders.

The animation does not concern me personally - immediately appearing at the top of the ladder (probably doing one of the standard animated movements for a few seconds first, for delay) would work just fine.
Our only concern should be that dogs could be stuck on some levels because they can not reach mission objectives or exit grids. (And while the stages can be changed to always include a ramp, I think there's always going to be a need to be able to say, reach a switch on the top of a house.)

Back