Future Fallout locations and story

Dweller95

Lifelong vault dweller
What would your idea of the ideal location for a future fallout game? and why?

Also would you like the story to continue on from the previous game or have a fresh start? maybe many years after the events of the last fallout with only mentions of previous events?

Chicago. It's mentioned in New Vegas and in Tactics about being the Enclave's retreat location. I would only want it if some of the original writers got together to develop and write it.

Seattle, so we can complain that it never stops raining. Definitely a fresh start. I want as much lore and history for all of America, as was given for California. If not more so honestly...so I think always continuing after that last game chronologically is a bad idea. The potential to cross reference things would be great. Imagine if the Four Corners Commonwealth, or whatever that the Legion takes over, had two games like California, and then New Vegas had brought all that lore and history together.

Seattle, so we can complain that it never stops raining. Definitely a fresh start. I want as much lore and history for all of America, as was given for California. If not more so honestly...so I think always continuing after that last game chronologically is a bad idea. The potential to cross reference things would be great. Imagine if the Four Corners Commonwealth, or whatever that the Legion takes over, had two games like California, and then New Vegas had brought all that lore and history together.

I also vote for Seattle or maybe Portland/Vancouver. Cascadia could had arisen and be this sort of alternate NCR that wants to learn from the past, rather than repeat it, probably with a dark side of Ecotopia encroaching. It's a bit more 70s/80s based than 50s/60s, but the two can be reconciled. The shift to trees, forests, rushing rivers and vales could also be refreshing than just more and more desert/shrubland.

Chicago. It's mentioned in New Vegas and in Tactics about being the Enclave's retreat location. I would only want it if some of the original writers got together to develop and write it.

Why? The Enclave is basically dead. Really, how long do people think one habitable oil-rigs worth of humanity can hold out for? Most likely they got bitten by the MwBoS and they both died slow, painful deaths over technology and maybe a dream of 'inheritance', throwing the Midwest back to gas-station warlords and palisade towns.

The real Fallout games have always given a huge nod to the Western genre, something that Bethesda doesn't entirely understand. Fallout games should be set in somewhere that makes sense for the western genre. However I also think that the desert and cactus stuff could become a bit stale so I would have to say that the Pacific Northwest would be great for a Fallout game. It even works as a Western setting, as seen in the 1971 revisionist Western McCabe and Mrs Miller:

I would like to have seen Denver, Boulder, and Colorado Springs (and Cheyenne Mountain) being done by Obsidian if the old team had still been there.
I would not have minded the return of some of the discarded ideas of Fallout Van Buren but I would also liked to have seen new content. (Boulder would have to be something else now that Old World Blues had used the Pre War scientific center with space age technology, and Dead Money the idea of a toxic cloud. The Crater could perhaps have used elements from The Reservation, this Ghoul sanctuary where Ghoul scientists are working on ways for their kind to procreate as well as the means to stick it to the normies)

Rather than the desert wasteland of New Vegas nature has greatly recuperated in the Colorado region (due to the presence of the Nursery, the nature Vault done right), and it would have drawn in a lot of people other than the native tribes that are already here.

Denver itself would perhaps be a NCR boom town as well as a prison camp where prisoners can work of their sentence in return for prospecting the ruins. Still there would be plenty enough for regular prospectors as well, bringing in people from the West such as the player.

It would also perhaps be a contested area between the NCR, the remnants of the Legion and what other powers are found in this region. (I am not suggesting that it should be like this but perhaps the Midwest BOS could make an appearance though I am personally in favor of phasing out the BOS for new tech factions)

Detroit which @TorontRayne has brought up could also be a good location for a Fallout campaign though I think it would be more interesting if it was set earlier in Fallout history, around the time of Fallout 1, in order to show how this region of Michigan would start out. (there would be no Super Mutants, no BOS, definitely no Enclave, just settlements one or two generations old, perhaps one fully functional Vault that just opened)

In my take Detroit before the War but around the time of the resource wars experienced the second economic miracle or boom when "manufacturing came home to America" after the US decided due to the resource crisis not to export manufacturing jobs to foreign countries (outside the US, Mexico, and later Canada) to prevent sabotage or theft of technology and resources.

Some of the first nuclear powered cars were manufactured in the Detroit car factories.

Detroit's industry would also play an important role in the manufacturing of weapons and munitions including the famed power armor. (the manufacturer had at least one R&D center in the region to work on improving power armor and design variants)

Lastly, it played an important role in the invasion and annexation of Canada as it was one of the locations along the US-Canadian border from the the Canadian campaign was launched. (so lots of military presence before the War)

I also thought that El Paso as had been made up by the Fallout Lonestar team sounded very interesting. They did some very interesting ideas with the location and the Fallout lore, suggesting that the Mexican Cartels would switch from drugs to oil smuggling before the War, and adding locations such as the Van Buren automated prison facility (a nod to Tibbet's facility).
Fort Bragg sounded like it had been re imagined to take the role of the Reservation from the cancelled Van Buren.

But like so many Fallout fan projects that one seems to have died.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Northern Commonwealth (in-game said to be Montana, Wyoming and Dakota) as a potential location for a Fallout game primarily written by the original/NV team. Pipedream, sure, but I think it could be fantastic if it happened.

New Vegas acknowledges a lot of things occurring North of Nevada during the events of the game, and some acknowledgement is thrown toward the area too. Would also be a good way for them to expand the weather system developed for Fallout 4, with snow storms and the likes as it's said to endure harsh winters. Would be really interesting to see those harsh winters correspond with the dates and timings of the game too, so for a month or so between January and February or something, half of the map was covered in snow and it altered the actions of the NPCs and their comments.

Too bad Beth still sticks to Eastcoast, now they chose WV (and Country Road theme song said it all)

The F5 should moves further west, or south and takes larger map and permits vehicle controls. or animal mountings (either Radscorps or Deathclaws will do :P Beth even suggested that there are wastelanders who keep Radscrops as pets) (Eversince player has 'Repair' in skilldex, and with extensive city building features in F4)
If going south then i'd like too see Confederate themed factions included. (and possible returns of Enclave, or even possibility that player began as an Enclave member and must decide its future, either experiencing politican rifts within the Enclave, or discover the entire wasteland and conclude that Enclave is a lost cause and defect.)

While I think there are probably analogues of horses or other ride-able animals, ride-able radscorpions or deathclaws strays to deep into the territory of ridiculous. Neither creature can be tamed.
Even the one whose's eggs were harvested had to be locked up heavily.

And no more damn Enclave, they're finished, dead, finito, joined the great fascists in the hot place underground. Members could be redeemed but not the organization. It was made up by a small elite who inherently felt themselves superior to everyone else. (you know, the 1 percent)

^ What about a community of Enclave Remnants and a struggle to cope with changing world, whether should player clings to the past like Augustus Autumn or impart their secrets you known to the wastelanders and became noble protector of the waste (while BoS became more and more of extorters and less and less defenders) like Arcade Gannon. (and internal leadership problems, one seeks to fulfill their vainglory of the past while other leader seeks cooperations/ memberships with any known wasteland superpowers and join their war against their rivals... or unite weaker settlements against any other wasteland empires just like how Courier can free Vegas entirely).

Hawaii seems to be a good choice. It's iconic and recognizable to international audiences. Its military nature allows fallout to do a lot with its themes about the Cold War/War in general. It would logically get hit pretty hard, so they could make a more bleak post apocalyptic game without going back in time (so they can possibly involve some of the preexisting factions formed postwar). It has a lot of culture, so I'm sure good ideas for new factions can be figured out.

Cool places to explore, lots of potential for quests and good characters because of multicultural nature and rich history.

With respect to Hawaii, I happened to notice that the New Vegas song 'Joe Cool' was also part of the Spongebob Squarepants soundtrack. Random, I know, but then I started listening to the Hawaiian music it used and quite a few tracks felt perfect for Fallout. It had me thinking about a Fallout: Hawaii entry more.

I would like a Fallout set in New York, but rather than going forward in the timeline (to better times and more organized groups, raiders too), back in the times of Fallout 1 and 2, maybe just a few years after the second installment of the series, at the time society was starting to define itself.
Hell, let's freely include a BOS faction-like without the actual Brotherhood been there.

As for factions, I got in mind just 2: one resides in the zone of Brooklyn, and is a mafia like organization that resemble New Reno's families, maybe a call back without been a copy. They operate differently depending on the family and territory: one family may be focused on offering protection in exchange of whatever value is used (caps, dollars...), while another is more hostile and focus itself onto killing others.
Yeah, it's not a proper way to present them.

The other one is a, as said early, a BOS-like faction, operating in the Bronx (I don't know New York, so I let you choose a proper place distant from the Manhattan) and functioning similar, hoarding technology and other things that may cause much more problems in the wrong hands, but actually for using it later when the times comes. They may be a choice for someone that want to establish order by eliminating threats directly, without much talk.

Finally, there may be a "evil" faction that resides in the Empire State Building and nearby surroundings.
I thought of them as the "State's Empire" (yeah, really original...), which established themselves as "the future of the nation", and been in contact with the Enclave (without been a part of them, of corse). Under the ESB there may be a bunker of some sort, a control Vault or something like that, where the Empire was born after the opening of the bunker itself, and seeing the chaos and destruction of the once greatest city of America.
Their goal could be to found a new order, re-establish the city and then expand across the nation, but at the cost of eliminating anyone who opposes them.
A good cause at base build onto bad choices.

Of corse, this crap is just a personal thought, but a Fallout: New York (or as I like to think, Fallout: New Order) set in-between Fallout 2 and 3 would be cool on my point of view.

With respect to Hawaii, I happened to notice that the New Vegas song 'Joe Cool' was also part of the Spongebob Squarepants soundtrack. Random, I know, but then I started listening to the Hawaiian music it used and quite a few tracks felt perfect for Fallout. It had me thinking about a Fallout: Hawaii entry more.
Hawaii checks all the boxes. It's iconic enough to be recognized by the foreign audience. The topography, wildlife, culture are diverse enough to make a variety of interesting terrain, locations, enemies, NPCs, and factions. It has its own genre of music. It's separated enough from mainland US that they could do whatever they want with it and build from a new template.

I am thinking about a Fallout game set in Miami, with some areas being flooded and heavily radiated... I would love to see the effects of radiation on marine animals..... a mutated shark maybe
game would be set at the time of Fo1, new factions of course....
Having boats in the game would be interesting, maybe some boat riding raiders

I am thinking about a Fallout game set in Miami, with some areas being flooded and heavily radiated... I would love to see the effects of radiation on marine animals..... a mutated shark maybe
game would be set at the time of Fo1, new factions of course....
Having boats in the game would be interesting, maybe some boat riding raiders

Someone or a team is already working on such a mod for Fallout 4. I am not really interested because it features the Enclave yet again as well as a faction or group dressing up like stereotypical pirates from Pirates of the Caribbean/Monkey Island, complete with mutant parrot.

Back