Games you don't want to play again

The Dutch Ghost

Grouchy old man of NMA
Hello all,

As you all know one of the biggest strengths a game can has is how replay able it is.
This of course depends on the gameplay of a game and arcade games often succeeded at this as it was their focus.
But there are also games with stories that have such an impression on gamers that they gladly go through it again and again because the story is so much fun or good.

However all of us have also bought games that were pretty fun the first time we played but when we came back to it we come to the realization that these games are not good at all for a second walkthrough, sometimes even making you wish that you had never bought the game so expensive in the first place.

I would like to ask people to post the titles here they feel are only good for one walkthrough after which they feel the game becomes a drag.

It doesn't have to be just because of the story, could also be the gameplay.

You don't have to write the reasons why you think these games have no replayability but it might be interesting if you tell us.

Here are a couple of my own;

Dead Ex Human Revolution.
As the saying goes; whenever you mention Deus Ex someone will re install it to play it (I have my copy installed permanently) and its one of the few games I probably play once every year just to remind myself how entertaining it is.

Unfortunate Deus Ex Human Revolution does not have that same charm.
While the game definitely 'honors' its predecessor in many ways and has great gameplay improvement regarding combat, especially non lethal, the game lacks for me any incentive to replay it again.

Some of the problems for me is how you are 'punished' when you kill enemies with a lower XP rating, and 'rewarded' if you take them down non lethal.

Some people may say that that makes the game only harder and a second session more difficult, but I just don't like it.

The second half of the game also feels quickly rounded off, I really would have liked to have seen the Montreal hub, the Upper Heng Sha hub, and a Singapore hub with their own little quests to expand the game, instead the end section feels very rushed and I did not like the end location with its 'zombies' and conclusion.

The Mass Effect series.
Some of you might say "well that is obvious" but I did replay the previous two games in the past as despite the linear corridor shooting and such it had some interesting elements to come back to.

But Mass Effect 3, well it just ruined the entire experience for me with its hokey plot, poor resolution and generally just feeling more of the same and not at all really feeling like a 'galaxy at war/the end of galactic civilization' storyline.

It only has a few ties to ME1 and pretty much disregards ME2, making that a pointless filler even though I feel its better than ME1 and ME3 in various ways.

There are still some story DLCs coming which I will probably finish but I never want to play this series again.

Metroid Other M
This one is a bit of a curiosity, while the Metroid games in general focus on exploration and gameplay we have had Metroid games in the past that connect the game with a storyline reasonable well and which I enjoy going through once in a while such as Fusion, Zero Mission, and the Prime games.

But Metroid Other M, well its the story and the whole sealed corridor routine that makes it suffer.
While I understand you can skip through the cut scenes the second time the game will keep you reminding of the story, and the station only truly opens up after you have finished the story, allowing you to go back and finally use skills and gear you collected earlier but could not use because the damn doors are sealed!

The game seeks to prevent you to go for all the extra missiles and energy pods you could otherwise use during more frustrating fights.

Fallout 3
I have explained this one in the past well enough.
The quests simply are not fun, most of the NPCs are annoying, some really terribly written dialog, and how you play the game barely affects the environment.

Well more from me when I come up with them.

The Assassins Creed series
I liked all the games I've tried and had lots of fun playing them, but I have no inclination to ever play them again for some reason. Maybe because a new one comes out so often? I dunno, I just don't feel like it.

Also,
Breath of Fire 1. I love 2, 3 and 4, and replay them once in a while, but the first one is pretty bleh. Fun enough, but the others are so much better.

Men Of War Heroes of WWII
Awesome game (series) but the fiddly micro-management has kept me from replaying.
Agree with ass creed.

In this moment I can think only for Fallout 3.
Why ?
Because this is not "Fallout",but in the same time some developer ,a aa ,what was this name - something like aaaaa Beth , Bethy or something close to this ,present to us a game with name Fallout which should be a continuation of the legendary atmosphere we know of Fallout and Fallout 2.
However ,this not happen.

Definitely agree with Deux Ex: HR. A good game but just doesn't have a special draw. I even put off playing a DLC I got for it because I was done with the game after I finished it.

Good call on DX HR, I tried picking it up, and maybe I will eventually, but I got everything out of it on the first playthrough. No kills, hardest difficulty, few if any alarms, etc.

I might just shoot up the police station and hack all of the blade runner inspired computer logins.

Any Final Fantasy tactics inspired game. Always fun and with loads of content, but never worth the hours spent grinding.

Mass Effect - Like others have and will say, if 3 was radically different based on my choices in games 1 and 2 I'd definitely consider running through the entire series again.

Mass Effect, and probably any BioWare game. If you play them for anything, you play them for the story, and once you know that, you know it. I am proud of myself for even finishing that boring tripe Baldur's Gate, I tried replaying it and it was impossible.

Some of their games don't suffer under their "painfully boring" template, but most do, especially Baldur's Gate 1, which is just so rote and boring.

I'm big on replaying games. Good value to get some replays. Replayed Fallout 1/2 dozens of times. Will gladly replay Assassin's Creed games.

Mostly it's just "terminally rote/boring" that does it, like, I dunno, BioShock 2. Or Drakensang: The Dark Eye (not The River of Time, which I did replay). Or, I dunno, Rise of the Argonauts. Intensely mediocre or overly boring games.

The Half-Life games, I'd never replay. Just not enough to them.

Hmmm. Honestly there's a lot of games I never replayed, but "would never replay" is different, I guess.

EDIT: oh, and any game that is more of a tech demo than an actual game. Like Hard Reset. It was decent, and beautiful, but not exactly enough to it for a replay.

I am replaying DX:HR again right now, for the 4th or 5th time. :p

I most likely won't replay Mass Effect 1 and 2. While 2 is more fun than 1 to me, even just thinking about replaying them makes me go urg...

Most likely will never going to replay Bioshock 1 and 2. Bioshock was really a great game in the beginning, the ending felt so disappointing, that I just can't get into the game(s) anymore. In fact, I never even finished Bioshock 2, because the first game still had so much influence on me...

Stalker 1. If at all, I will replay Clear Sky or Call of Pripyat, but the first game just feels too incomplete to me. The follow up games have pretty much the same atmosphere and feeling, but improved gameplay. Therefore, they would be my choice.

Dungeon Siege 1. Ehw... Can't say much to that one. Everyone who played it, will probably know.

I might never replay Fallout 3 too, simply because I am fed up with it and New Vegas is the better game anyway, with similar gameplay. So I'd pick FNV instead of Fo3 at any time.

As you all know one of the biggest strengths a game can has is how replay able it is.
This of course depends on the gameplay of a game and arcade games often succeeded at this as it was their focus.
But there are also games with stories that have such an impression on gamers that they gladly go through it again and again because the story is so much fun or good.

There are also games that don't aim for replayability and are just as fine without it. These are, for example, open-world exploration games that let you play indefinitely just before or even after completion, and allow you to do everything in one playthrough. That could be something like Kingdoms of Amalur or I suppose Skyrim (though I never played it myself), GTA games, Just Cause 2 etc.

Or it could be games with a very long story and a lot of optional quests that can give you 100+ hours of fun without having to start a new game. This can be a lot of JRPGs, which tend to be pretty linear but very expansive.

And frankly I think those games are no worse because I wouldn't ever replay them. In general, I think that games that are shorter tend to be more replayable, just because they're designed that way. It's a matter of endurance, too - if the one completion takes you several months, it'll be hard to come back to the game again for quite a long time. For example, Last Remnant was an excellent game, and I didn't complete all optional tasks/bosses, but I feel like I've given that game enough time, and even the New Game+ feature isn't enticing enough.

If you want examples, I'm yet to finish a single Baldur's Gate 2 replay ever since I finished it once a few years back. I've tried multiple times, but always lose interest halfway through. Or Witcher 2, which had a clever trick for replayability, but once you've gone through both sides of the story, there's little to see the 3rd time through.

Ausdoerrt said:
If you want examples, I'm yet to finish a single Baldur's Gate 2 replay ever since I finished it once a few years back.

Oh bugger, can't remember if I completed BG2.

I normally play games like Baldur's Gate 1/2 solo, after completing them properly once, because I don't want to micro manage a half a dozen characters with every fight. It can get tedious. At least playing solo speeds the game up considerably. That's one thing they got right with Fallout 1/2, the combat is always interesting, only because you have little control over what your team does.

I dont think i would replay bioware games either if i ever was to complete one, allways drop em about halfway trough. Almost finished Kotor though.

Never could really even touch most of the FPS campaings ive already completed, only exceptions being Quake 2 and Blood.

Also theres GTA:s which i pretty much have always sold away shortly after completing them. Even though i have pretty much every time after finishing felt that i just played a quality game, it also feels like ive had about enough of the setting and type of gameplay it offers. I guess the sheer length of the game and time spent finishing the story plays big part there.

I have all the Football Manager games, going back to somewhere in the late 90's, and I obviously never replay the older titles. I mean, why should you - there's a new one with an updated database coming out ever year.
Even so, I still remember Football Manager 2009 being the most fun of all for some reason.

Oblivion. Never even finished the game, the memory of that piece of crap is pretty fresh in my mind. Also Fallout 3. Maybe Wasteland (too old).

Every game, except Fallout 1 & 2, Civilization II, and Death Rally

That's the only games that actually got me hooked enough to want to do a second run.

I've played so many games, that I'll just list the ones I've beat more than once(I don't really like playing the same game again): Star Wars The Force Unleashed(that was just an awesome game), KOTOR 2(Maybe the first RPG I ever played, and it was awesome enough to beat 4+ times), Mercenaries(it was the only game the damn Xbox would read[Really, it was the ONLY game we could play on it] so I played it and beat it a lot), Star Wars Battlefront 2(not too much story to it, but my bros and I would play campaign a lot), Halo 3(just one mission[the last one], I'd beat it again, but I hate the first level).

Arr0nax said:
Death Rally.
Racing progression games are rarely replayable. Yet Death Rally hits the spot perfectly. It's just fun to go through once again. What magic is behind it?

I'd say there's a big correlation of the games I tend to replay and their lack of annoying padding/filler(or unskippable cutscenes ugh). I mean Death Rally is just a damn menu picking races and upgrading parts.

Number one on my list for this kind of game is Halo. I played it through once and never had the slightest urge to give it a second glance.

Master of Orion 3. I love complexity, but G-fucking-sus.
Also, Eve Online. Fuck that noise. That's a second job.

Dario ff said:
Arr0nax said:
Death Rally.
Racing progression games are rarely replayable. Yet Death Rally hits the spot perfectly. It's just fun to go through once again. What magic is behind it?
It's incredibly awesome and yet really short, so ripe for replaying?
Unless you're playing on "got petrol in my veins", that can go on for quite a while. :S

edit:
Look what I found that's sorta relevant: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/30/remedy-renaissance-death-rally-remake-coming-to-pc/

Back