GCG taking Interplay to court

Kyuu said:
So wait... you personally forced Herve to file bankruptcy for Interplay, thereby making it so he had little choice but to accept Beth's offer? And there were previous offers made by other developers/publishers? Am I getting this straight?

Involuntary bankruptcy. It's when a company is declared bankrupt by the court; essentially Corith (and a bunch of others) sued Interplay for their dues and if Interplay would not pay the company would be declared bankrupt and its assets sold to pay back part of its debt.

And Corith said Herve could've got 4 times as much for selling the license back in March '04, but not necessarily that this would be to any other company than Bethesda. Any clarification, C?

Is Corith a former Interplay employee who, along with others, sued for paychecks that they hadn't been receiving?

I hope no one is seriously thinking it was wrong of them to do so.

well lets see

the companies that have the kind of backing to chuck 20-25 million for the IP and not blink.

Microsoft
EA
Sony Computer Entertainment North America/Sony Online (Everquest, EQII, Starwars and so on)

Ironicaly I still think Bethesda was stupid to do it in the first place.

Per said:
I hope no one is seriously thinking it was wrong of them to do so.
Wrong of Corith to sue for back due paychecks ? nope
Wrong of Beth to buy Fallout? Yep. Im one of thoes people who honestly think they should have kept the ~6 million they payed him and just developed their own PA game.

But that would take design work, and effort to create a background story.

That's not what they "do best".

Oakraven said:
the companies that have the kind of backing to chuck 20-25 million for the IP and not blink.

You forget a few. Like 2K Games.

If a major publishers bought it they'd probably have another studio develop it, tho'. I don't see EA doing this kind of game in-house. Maybe they would've chucked it to <s>BioWare</s> EA Edmonton.

Brother None said:
Oakraven said:

You forget a few. Like 2K Games.

If a major publishers bought it they'd probably have another studio develop it, tho'. I don't see EA doing this kind of game in-house. Maybe they would've chucked it to <s>BioWare</s> EA Edmonton.

If 2K got it then it would have turned up using the Unreal 3 engine and then people would be argeuing about Fallout 3 being bioshock being fallout and FEV would be the new/old plasmids

If Edmonton got it we would get stuck with a Retro-50s Mass Effect.

and If sony got it (smed actualy mentioned it as an interesting property on more than one occasion) then the same people who brought us Starwars Galaxy would have probably focused on bringing us FO:OL, the open sandbox game with radcount!

Oakraven said:
If 2K got it then it would have turned up using the Unreal 3 engine and then people would be argeuing about Fallout 3 being bioshock being fallout and FEV would be the new/old plasmids

If Edmonton got it we would get stuck with a Retro-50s Mass Effect.

and If sony got it (smed actualy mentioned it as an interesting property on more than one occasion) then the same people who brought us Starwars Galaxy would have probably focused on bringing us FO:OL, the open sandbox game with radcount!

The scary thing is, you might be up to something there.

Brother None said:
Kyuu said:
So wait... you personally forced Herve to file bankruptcy for Interplay, thereby making it so he had little choice but to accept Beth's offer? And there were previous offers made by other developers/publishers? Am I getting this straight?

Involuntary bankruptcy. It's when a company is declared bankrupt by the court; essentially Corith (and a bunch of others) sued Interplay for their dues and if Interplay would not pay the company would be declared bankrupt and its assets sold to pay back part of its debt.

And Corith said Herve could've got 4 times as much for selling the license back in March '04, but not necessarily that this would be to any other company than Bethesda. Any clarification, C?

Correct, I and 3 other parties grew tired of herve's lies, dodges and such. We sued for court to declare him bankrupt and the company assets liquidated to pay what we were due.

Back in '04, I overheard herve and Phil Adam discussing selling fallout for 30 million and herve being very adamant against it. I did not hear who the party was so I can not say if it was Beth or another. My own personal view is somebody with deeper pockets, like Activision or Sony, but that is a BIG guess.

For 30 million?

THIRTY MILLION?!?!

If that was an actual, no-nonsense, bonafide offer then Herve should check back at business school.

30 millions...Who on Earth would pay that much for this licence ? Heck, I don't know but I would believe these guys a bit more than Bethsoft if they came with the "We were huge fans of the series" line.

And the froggie refused...and sold it to Bethesda...who came with [spoiler:2a57199b3b] giant robots [/spoiler:2a57199b3b], humanoid mudcrabs and Inon Zur.

Back in '04, I overheard herve and Phil Adam discussing selling fallout for 30 million and herve being very adamant against it.

Maybe he still thought back then that he'll be making loads of money off FOBOS and its sequels?

Brother None said:
For 30 million?

THIRTY MILLION?!?!

If that was an actual, no-nonsense, bonafide offer then Herve should check back at business school.

Sony online ended up paying that mutch to take over Vanguard, spent more than that to develop EQII, and still tosses cash down the perpetual money drains that is its current mmo and other game s (thats including the "Other MMO" projects they keep talking about that are in production) outfit wich makes you wonder where its getting the cash, its only making just over 4 million a month on all of its properties.

Granted a lot of software developers would love to have Sony Onlines "problems" so long as they also get Sony Onlines cashflow

part of the thing about eq2 is they are releasing their "new" expansions which are the same thing from eq1

doesnt take a whole heck of a lot of work to redo the old code and convert it to the eq2 codebase

TheWesDude said:
part of the thing about eq2 is they are releasing their "new" expansions which are the same thing from eq1

doesnt take a whole heck of a lot of work to redo the old code and convert it to the eq2 codebase

Good god, I hope so. Where is my Lost Dungeons of Norrath expansion!!

Back