Ghost of Tsushima

CT Phipps

Carbon Dated and Proud
Anyone else playing this?

I've got to say, even I think Polygon tried to screw this game over, though. They wrote an extensive article about Japanese nationalism and the myth of the samurai that the game indulges in. They talked about how Kurosawa had criticism about that and the game is unable to capture his nuances about bushido.

Except, the game is all about how the samurai and bushido are complete bullshit.

So, they never played the game like I have.

HOWEVER, I have ALSO actually seen Kurosawa films. Guess what? One of the major themes of the movies are samurai and bushido are complete bullshit. In Seven Samurai, only 7 Samurai go to help the peasants because only 7 give a shit out of hundreds (and most don't actually care about the peasants: 1 is there because he wants to kill people to test his skill, another is there because he's friends with Kambei, one is there because he wants to make his name as a warrior, and one isn't even a samurai). In Rashomon, the only Samurai is a coward and completely shit at fighting.

Grrr.

Wow.

"How can I make a game about Samurai into yet another shitflinging thread in a wesbite already absolutely inundated with it, but not be too obvious in my intent?"

"Ah" he thought.

The author of the article did play it (he streamed it in fact). He's also unironically correct. This isn't a review of the game it's an opinion piece on the subject matter, and how they capture Kurosawa's work at the surface level.

All that needs to be said on the matter:

Much like the "chivalrous" knights of medieval Europe, it’s a bunch of bullshit romanticized during peaceful periods by people that weren’t there at the time.

There was a large military aristocracy that had little to do in a relatively peaceful era. They practiced their martial skills while pinning for a reason to use them. Without a war to fight, they largely began to administer the state. Seeing the Western colonizers force their way into the region with ease, they quickly knew they had to adapt or submit. Massive reforms in industry, culture/religion, and education began in earnest. The Empire of Japan had formed and unleashed centuries of built up emotions.

But hey, GoT is a pretty good game… Just maybe read a book instead of using this game to inform you of anything.

Being honest though, who the actual fuck goes. "You know, I'm interested in Samurai history. I bet this video game will have an accurate historical portrayal, fuck it who needs documentaries when I've got Sony."

I'm interested in the history of the old west. Will I read any books? Nah I'll play Red Dead Redemption instead.

That's not part of the review.
And yet you felt obliged to virtue signal on your twitter handle while making game analysis and bashing polygon reviews.

Also the point of Kurosawas movies was not just "samurai were shit lul".

Haven't gotten to play it yet, but I will. Wasn't really interested in it in the beginning, but over time that's changed. For me, that's a good sign. I feel like I need to watch Akira's movies before I play though.

And yet you felt obliged to virtue signal on your twitter handle while making game analysis and bashing polygon reviews.

Uh huh. Sure.

Also the point of Kurosawas movies was not just "samurai were shit lul".

No. They were also retrospective looks at Japan's feudal history, fascinating analyses of class differences, and incredible action movies. What would you like to discuss about them?

Last edited:
Beat the game. The theme of the story is insufferable. Honor this, honor that...fuck me.

Final verdict: Not TLOU2 out of 10.

NOOOOO, you can't use stealth and guerilla tactics WE ARE SAMURAI. HONOR. YOU ARE NO SAMURAI. YOU HAVE TO BATTLE IN A FIELD 1000 TO 1 AND IF YOU LOSE THEN I GUESS ALL THOSE WOMEN AND CHILDREN DESERVE TO BE RAPED AND MURDERED. I cannot believe this. YOU. HAVE. NO. HONOR.
c7JL6JE.jpg

I'm playing Sekiro. You guys can argue about this though. Go ahead.

Haha, I just decapitated a large ape and it got back up and fought me. Haha, this game is fun.

I've been enjoying it actually. I've found the sword-fighting to be smooth, the map is gorgeous and at a good size. The stand-offs are satisfying. Game has it's flaws, but it's pretty damn good.

Its kind of funny because this debate happened in real life. It lasted like five minutes.

Samurai: The Mongols have no honor!

Shogun: Yes, because they're not SAMURAI, doofus. We're not required to show them respect and treat them with respect.

Samurai: oh.

You're fuckin tards. Point of the game is to kill people with a sword. Story is just that thing to distract all of the other fucks that were not actu....

Well, I'm about 30 hours into the game and enjoying it but my response is, "Yes, this is just Assassins Creed without the crazy conspiracy stuff. OH and sword fighting."

It's not a BAD thing but it's interesting that.

Totally enjoyed this game. I'm sure everyone here who liked this game will be surprised that there is news that saying a new job listing at Sucker Punch is pointing to a Ghost of Tsushima sequel. Yey!

Back